ADVERTISEMENT

Taylen Green and BP

Razorbetz

Letterman
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2017
I re-watched several plays from the A&M game and TG is still missing several reads, not going through progressions and just fleeing the pocket unnecessarily. Look at the last offensive play of the game for the easiest example, JJ is the checkdown and open by at least 20 yards. Instead, TG flees right (never looking at JJ) and actually fades back into the defender making it an easy strip sack.

I understand BP wanting a running QB, as he believes that maximizes his offense (this goes all the way back to his wanting to go to Atlanta so he could use M. Vick). Trouble is, BP needs his QBs to be good pocket passing QBs first - otherwise his scheme isn't nearly as productive.

I recall BP saying back in the day that he preferred accurate QBs because it was something you couldn't teach -- guess that's why I'm surprised he was so interested in TG. Good news is that Lamar Jackson was a career 57% passer at Louisville but his TD to INT ratio was way better than TG (and he rushed for an avg of 108 yards per game for his career--crazy).

If TG is the best pocket passer we have on the roster (or if there's not much difference between the group), then we should roll with him and hope the light comes on. If it's Singleton or someone else, then they should be getting strong looks because the turnovers will not stop in this scheme if the QB can't process progressions and get the ball out on time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.