ADVERTISEMENT

THE COMPLETE HOG FAN EXPERIENCE

Nov 8, 2015
Pardon the long post...

My name is Jared Kenealy from Liberty, Missouri. The men in my family have decided to start a new Thanksgiving weekend (Rivalry Weekend) tradition now that my father has retired. Our goal is to attend a major college rivalry game once a year on Thanksgiving weekend, and attempt to fully experience the home team traditions and history. We want to immerse ourselves in the culture of the home team and become super fans for a weekend. There are 3 generations of college football fans in the group ranging in age from 60 to 10 years old. This will be our first year to do so, and we decided to start close to home. This year 4 of us will be attending the Arkansas vs. Missouri game on November 27th.

I am a high school football coach, and any level of football fanatic. I am also the dreamer in the bunch that thinks he can get anything to happen. My goal for this trip is to try and get the group to experience as much of the University of Arkansas football community and history as possible. I plan to document it all with several cameras and edit a short documentary style video to post for our family and others on youtube. It has been my experience at any college venue that their are always people who want to show you why they love their team and school so much, and teach others their traditions. This post is one of my first attempts to reach out to the Arkansas fan base and get as much information, tips and tricks, and/or hospitality as possible.

My dream scenario would be to join a group of loyal Hog fans for the weekend. Is their a rally or tradition the night before the game? We want to go. Is there a traditional tailgate food we need to make or find. We want to do it. Is there a tailgate or tailgater in specific that "does it right"? We want to meet them and learn. Is there a chant or words to a fight song that we need to learn? We will come ready or learn on the go. Is there a traditional way to dress? We want to do it. Is there a local establishment to celebrate at after the game? We want to go. My goal would be to not only document the experience for my family but for others as well. To create a kind of "how to" video that shows off everything that is great about a college's game day experience.

The purpose of this post is to gain any and all information from the fans directly. What do I need to know? Who do I need to contact? I have a list of questions below, however, I don't even know what to ask. I want the fans to tell me what I should know and ask. Thanks for any and all help you can provide. We are excited to experience Fayetteville on November 27th and root on the Hogs.

Questions:
We have yet to buy tickets but plan on buying tickets in the upper deck. Any advice on seats to try and get or try and avoid?

I am a history teacher and history buff. Is there a book or documentary that we should watch or read that gives us a good history of Arkansas Football?

What are the game day/week traditions that are a MUST SEE? If we need to buy tickets or sign up how do we go about doing so?

Is there traditional dress? I know the SEC has some traditions of dressing up, is that expected or will Arkansas fan gear suffice?

Where do we find the best fan gear?

Where is the best tailgate?

Do you have a great tailgate? Can we join?

What are the words to the fight songs or chants? I think I can find these on my own but I could also find outdated or incorrect info.

What time should we plan on getting to the stadium/tailgate?

Any weird rules or exceptions we would not be able to predict?

What is the proper way to "Call the Hogs"? (Probably the most important question)

What am I failing to ask? TEACH US YOUR WAYS!

Once again thanks for any and all help you can provide. We cannot wait to start this tradition and we already have one Hog fan in the bunch. We plan on becoming fans as well!

"We have yet to buy tickets but plan on buying tickets in the upper deck. Any advice on seats to try and get or try and avoid?"

Get your tickets as soon as you can, if the Hogs win one or both of the next two then Missouri tickets might become impossible to get. If you're set on the upper deck bring binoculars. I'd try to get down closer myself, but that's just me. You can order tickets online at http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/

"I am a history teacher and history buff. Is there a book or documentary that we should watch or read that gives us a good history of Arkansas Football?"

Don't know of any books that cover past 2007, but here is a couple you might find interesting. Don't recall any historical videos.

Arkansas Football: Yesterday and Today. This is the one that seems to cover the longest period of time.
The Razorbacks: A story of Arkansas Football Updated and released as a paperback in 1996.

"What are the game day/week traditions that are a MUST SEE? If we need to buy tickets or sign up how do we go about doing so?"

After a victory the team will gather at the Arkansas sideline and sing the fight song followed by singing 'It's Hard to be Humble' in which the fans join in the singing, often interlinking arms across shoulders and swaying side to side. Here are the Razorback lyrics for hard to be humble should you get to stay for the singing.

Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble,
when you're perfect in every way!
I can't wait to look in the mirror,
I get better looking each day!
To know me is to love me,
I must be one hell of a fan!
Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble,
when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan!

(Repeat Once)

"Is there traditional dress? I know the SEC has some traditions of dressing up, is that expected or will Arkansas fan gear suffice?"

Fan gear is fine, we aren't stuck up snobs down here. Bring something warm, the upper deck can get chilly in November.

"Where do we find the best fan gear?"

Hog Heaven will have some places around the stadium, including the food court, and their main store in Bud Walton Arena is open on gamedays, but you can find Hog gear at any Wal Mart once you enter Arkansas, as well as just about any other store. Here is a link to a pdf fan guide that should answer a lot of your questions about this and other topics. Or you can order online from Amazon, should be more than enough time to receive an order before the Missouri game.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf/football/2015/fan-guide.pdf

"Where is the best tailgate?"

The Gardens is usually a good spot. It's south of the stadium and on the map in the PDF linked above. There is a place north of the stadium called the Trough that usually opens up around 3 hours before kickoff.

"What are the words to the fight songs or chants?"
There is a popular chant where one half of the stadium will shout 'Arkansas" and the other half answers "Razorbacks'.
The fight song lyrics, and it is okay to sing it along with the team after a victory.
Hit that line! Hit that line! Keep on going,
Take that ball right down the field!
Give a cheer. Rah! Rah! Never fear. Rah! Rah!
Arkansas will never yield!
On your toes, Razorbacks, to the finish,
Carry on with all your might!
For it's A-A-A-R-K-A-N-S-A-S for Arkansas!
Fight! Fight! Fi-i-i-ght!

"What time should we plan on getting to the stadium/tailgate?"
I probably arrive at game a lot earlier than most, so I might not be the best one to answer this. I usually arrive around 4 hours before kickoff to give myself time to find some parking and enjoy the festivities before going into the stadium.

"Any weird rules or exceptions we would not be able to predict?"

No selfie sticks allowed, but the fan guide pdf linked above covers things pretty well. If the link don't work for some reason you can copy paste it.

"What is the proper way to "Call the Hogs"? "

It is usually done standing. Start with your arms straight down in front of you with hands open and palms facing your thighs. When you start saying 'Wooo" you will also wiggle your fingers as you slowly raise your arms above your head and still held straight, fingers still wiggling. Be prepared to take a breath or two to keep the "Wooo" going as it is strung out for a while.

When you're about to pass out from a lack of oxygen from drawing out the 'Wooo' it's followed by shouting 'Pig" When you shout pig you'll bend your arms at the elbow as you pull them straight down and close your hands into a fist. You should be standing with both elbows down and the forearms pointing up with a clenched fist on either side of your head.

When shouting 'Sooie' you thrust one fist up in the air.

For the full Hog Call you will do this 3 times in a row. After the third shout of 'Sooie' you will shout 'Razorbacks" with more gestures for each of the syllables.
When shouting 'Razor" pull your clenched fist back down and when shouting 'Backs' thrust it up into the air again.

Wooo Pig Sooie
Wooo Pig Sooie
Wooo Pig Sooie Razorbacks

This video should get the gist across. You'll notice one guy neglects to wiggle his fingers making him look out of place, don't be that guy.

When the Hogs line up for a kickoff there is a single line Hog Call with the 'Wooo" kept going until the ball is kicked followed by 'Pig Sooie' immediately following the kick.

"What am I failing to ask? TEACH US YOUR WAYS!"

Nothing to worry about. Hope you enjoy your visit and welcome to the Razorback family!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate any and all help we can get. I have already sent on your instructions for calling the hogs along with the video to the rest of my group. We plan on buying tickets tonight, and we may be moving closer.

Thanks again.

The night before there will be a student pep rally at the Greek amphitheater that is open to all that you should probably attend

The Hog walk will be in the parking lot directly north of the stadium about 2 hours before the game. Check here for details on game day. You will also find a history link on this site as well

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/

Parking for visitors can be brutal. Be sure to check for a parking pass near the stadium or risk a possible mile walk down to the baseball field. There are several private parking lots (yards) that you can Google and make reservations at as well.

http://razorbackparking.com/

The lot North of the stadium, The Gardens, Victory Village, and the area around the Alumni House are the best tailgates to see how it's done. The North West corner of the stadium there are 2 busses converted to tailgate rigs you should check out.

https://m.facebook.com/The-Gardens-at-the-University-of-Arkansas-59183583164/

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/tailgating-information/

As for seats up top I would choose sections 500 to 504 on the West side. The side directly across from our band on the home side. Also a great view of the Pig Screen from up there. Be sure to enter into gate 1 and see the lower level walk of champions, Hog heaven gift shop, and the South Endzone pavilion. It is a very different feel for a Football stadium down there. You can catch an elevator to the top at that same gate 1 or walk up the stairs.

Dickson street after the game is the adult/young adult watering holes. The typical college strip where bar hopping is the game of choice. There is some really good food down there as well but don't expect to find an easy path to dinner there following a game.

Fan favorites for food is The Catfish Hole, Does eat place, Sassy Red house, Hermans, and Theos. I'm not a high end eater so I like some good old folksy food at The Catfish Hole and some amazing BBQ at Sassy Red House.

http://www.thecatfishhole.com/

http://www.sassysredhouse.com/

A great free attraction is Crystal Bridges Art Museum. It is one of if not the best collection of American art in the world. Good for all ages.
http://crystalbridges.org/

Enjoy your visit to the Natural State and I hope you have a great time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Hambone
This is some great information. Especially on the seats, we are purchasing upper level tonight, after a failed attempt to organize ourselves last night. Thanks for the info on the student rally, that is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I am looking for. Dinner is where you really have me hurting. If you were to ask the group our favorite foods BBQ and catfish would be at the top. Looks like we will need to eat two dinners!?!

Reactions: BOSSHOGFREE
This is some great information. Especially on the seats, we are purchasing upper level tonight, after a failed attempt to organize ourselves last night. Thanks for the info on the student rally, that is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I am looking for. Dinner is where you really have me hurting. If you were to ask the group our favorite foods BBQ and catfish would be at the top. Looks like we will need to eat two dinners!?!
The Catfish Hole has the absolute BEST hush puppies you will have ever eaten. That sounds wierd that hush puppies is what they are known for but trust me they are addicting. I typically get the baked lemon pepper catfish but you can't go wrong with their fried catfish as well. Sassys has a small parking lot but a big atmosphere. If it's nice weather they have a massive deck you can sit on. They have outstanding ribs but my favorite is their smoked and spun wings paired with their famous BBQ pork nachos. Can't go wrong with either place. Pat owns the catfish hole and Allen owns Sassys. Ask for either and they will be glad to meet and take care of you. Both are excellent ambassadors of the Razorbacks. One hosts the football coaches show and the other hosts the basketball coaches show.

The Catfish Hole has the absolute BEST hush puppies you will have ever eaten. That sounds wierd that hush puppies is what they are known for but trust me they are addicting. I typically get the baked lemon pepper catfish but you can't go wrong with their fried catfish as well. Sassys has a small parking lot but a big atmosphere. If it's nice weather they have a massive deck you can sit on. They have outstanding ribs but my favorite is their smoked and spun wings paired with their famous BBQ pork nachos. Can't go wrong with either place. Pat owns the catfish hole and Allen owns Sassys. Ask for either and they will be glad to meet and take care of you. Both are excellent ambassadors of the Razorbacks. One hosts the football coaches show and the other hosts the basketball coaches show.
The plan is to meet and talk to as many people as possible. I have always loved traditions, especially college football tradition. There are always people who are willing to share and teach you just have to find them. Thanks for making it easier.

Who coaches the football coaches show? I know it is the age of the internet and I will look it up as well, but just in case I don't find it.

So a bit of an update...
We got seats in the upper deck, 504 as suggested!
We have pre purchased parking close to the stadium and the gardens.
We will be eating at the Catfish Hole Friday night after the game, or Saturday afternoon.
We plan on being at the hog walk.
We have learned to call the hogs.
We are ready!

We plan on doing a little tailgating of our own, but we would love to meet and join some authentic Arkansas tailgaters. We would be more than willing to pay or cover ourselves, but our biggest goal is to see and meet as many Hog fans as possible. Would anyone be willing to have 4 Missouri guys tag along?
Thanks for all of the help and we are looking forward to having a great time this weekend.

I posted your request over on the pay board... We might have better luck during Mizzou game week. Right now, we're pretty pre-occupied with the LSU game..

Reactions: Ole Hambone
Hope you enjoy your visit and get to tell all your Mizzou buddies back home about the time you saw the Hogs put a beatdown on the tiggers! :D Of course, after eating at the Catfish Hole you might not want to go back home. :cool:

HI,
I am reading this message board and will be coming down for a game with friendly people from New Jersey and looking to experience the Arkansas Game Day excitement. The one thing I did not see are the best hotels in terms of location to the game/night life. Any help would be great and I will see you in the fall.
Rich

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT