ADVERTISEMENT

Top 2026 in-state recruit JJ Andrews updates his recruitment

jacksoncollier

Hawgbert Financial Expert
Staff
Dec 22, 2018
Little Rock, AR

Arkansas head coach John Calipari made quick work wrapping up his 2024 high school recruiting class after leaving Kentucky, and his focus has now shifted to the future as 2026 Little Rock guard JJ Andrews reported a re-offer from the Hogs on Monday.

An Arkansas legacy, Andrews has blown up on the national recruiting scene and has held steady as one of the top players in his class for the better part of a year.

Coming in at No. 21 nationally according to Rivals, the Little Rock Christian product is just outside of five-star status at this early juncture in the rankings process for the 2026 class.

While rankings can be distracting or motivating for some, Andrews would rather not worry about it.

"I try not to give a lot of energy towards rankings," Andrews told HawgBeat. "I have been on some lists, and I have not been included on some lists. The most important thing for me to do right now is to show development in my skillset & game every year. It’s always an honor to be recognized amongst some of the best in the country for my hard work."

As a result of his hard work and skillset, Andrews boasts a number of scholarship offers and is hearing from even more schools. Programs that have offered him a scholarship include Arkansas, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and Texas Tech. WIth so many top programs recruiting him, Andrews has had to develop recruiting navigation plan.

"I’ve really been honing in on what schools/coaches are truly interested and who will really help me develop on and off of the court," Andrews said. "My family has helped me in how I handle the schools contacting me. I try to make sure I am available to communicate when I’m not in the gym or respond to messages as soon as possible."

The process was overwhelming early on, but Andrews is now more accustomed to the constant phone calls and he's adjusted to the pressure he placed on himself.

"I kind of felt like I had to play perfect in front of college coaches, but now I realize that they are looking at how you respond to mistakes and body language," Andrews said. "That’s more of how I approach those things now."

Andrews said that Missouri, LSU, Marquette, NC State, Oklahoma and Arkansas have been recruiting him the hardest recently.

The 6-foot-7 wing also added that he's been in contact with the new Arkansas staff, including phone calls from both Calipari and associate head coach Chin Coleman, but that he mostly stays in contact with assistant coach Ronnie Brewer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.