ADVERTISEMENT

Two-a-days is the difference

TOP HOG

All-Conference
Jun 11, 2002
between 2-3 and 5-0. It took a month for this team to come together, get in shape and work out the penalties. Especially with a new OC and position changes on the lines. I hope we kick that idea to the curb as a failed experiment. I'm wondering if it also has something to do with all the injuries. The team was not in shape nor had their timing down to start the season. The first game the players were way better than the UTEP players. Which allowed the HOGS to get away with or hide their weaknesses.

The old saying that you play like you practice is true. That's why we didn't show up those first few weeks.

If you practice the same amount of time, which is supposedly what we did, then what difference does it make if you do it in 2 2 hour sessions or 1 4 hour session?

between 2-3 and 5-0. It took a month for this team to come together, get in shape and work out the penalties. Especially with a new OC and position changes on the lines. I hope we kick that idea to the curb as a failed experiment. I'm wondering if it also has something to do with all the injuries. The team was not in shape nor had their timing down to start the season. The first game the players were way better than the UTEP players. Which allowed the HOGS to get away with or hide their weaknesses.
Bud Wilkerson when he was at Oklahoma said they never scrimmage because he did not want his players hurting his guys, but the other teams guys. But Bud's teams ran full steam on every play in practice and like Steve Spurrier at Florida, they ran with great precision and the skill involved was worth more than the contact drills. But I agree that is unique and most teams need to hit hard in preseason.

If you practice the same amount of time, which is supposedly what we did, then what difference does it make if you do it in 2 2 hour sessions or 1 4 hour session?
Big difference. A walk through does not get the team's timing down like the contact drills. Look at the penalties they had the first month, that stopped drives and took points off the board. Look at the oline not being able to get the running game going. It took games that counted to get them ready. This team could have avoided that by getting ready before the season. Also all the missed tackles by the defense. It took actual games to harden them. I believe it should have been done before the regular season. Maybe some believe it is okay to give up the first month of games, to get the practice that could have been done before the season. I see a bad idea that cost wins by not being prepared. Train as you fight.

Reactions: hog44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT