ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Wilson impresses at NFL veteran combine, as did Jamaal Anderson ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
Felix Jones ... not so much. I watched the hour-long tape-delay coverage of the event on NFL Network (the linked story does not go into as much detail regarding combine performances as the televised event did). There were 105 participants, all 32 teams were represented with scouts, and here were the main takeaways from the televised event ...

* QBs ... NFL Network interviewed Brady Quinn, but they were not particularly impressed with his combine workout. They talked about only two other QBs -- Mike Kafka and Tyler Wilson -- and both drew praise for their performances. Especially Wilson, who reportedly had the strongest arm. I think the knock on Tyler has been between the ears in terms of his ability to learn a playbook and lead a team / execute during game situations. I'm not surprised that he did well at a combine where physical ability is the focus.

* DE / DL ... only two were featured and interviewed -- Michael Sam and Jamaal Anderson. The analysts were not impressed with Sam's workout, and continued to point out that he is a 'tweener (not big enough to play DE, and too slow and stiff to play LB). They were, however, impressed with Jamaal. They loved his size at 6-6, 275, and acknowledged that though he is not a sacks guy as projected out of college, that he could be valuable in run defense. They had a good impression of his workout, and I thought that JA gave the best interview of the athletes who got a chance to talk on the program -- he is hungry to play and overcome injuries that he said froced him out, and he was very convincing.

* RBs ... NFL Network interviewed Felix, and they talked about him, Michael Bush, and Mike Leshoure. Felix reportedly ran a 4.75 40 -- I would have guessed he could skip a 4.6 -- and in the clips they showed of him in some receiver drills, he looked stiff and lumbering, not the player I remember who had a quick burst and ran smooth with some wiggle. NFL Network's talking heads said if he got a chance to make a 90-man opening day camp roster, that he'd be a long-shot to make a team. What's worse, Bush ran a 4.91 40 and looked even more like a tin man, and they surmised this combine might be "closure" to his career. Mikel Leshoure, the former Illinois back who played parts of two seasons with the Lions, was the guy they were most impressed with. He ran a 4.63 and had good burst in the drill work.

Felix's interview was even less inspiring than his performance ... his was the worst interview of the program. When asked what he brought to the table at this stage in his career, Felix was less than enthused and sounded like he was just going through the motions. I may be putting too much stock in a TV interview, but he didn't sound convinced that he still has something to give.

* That was basically it. No talk of Joe Adams or any receivers for that matter. Of the 8 players who were talked about extensively, 3 were former Hogs, and from the sounds of it, at least 2 of those guys should get another shot (Tyler Wilson and Jamaal Anderson). I think Felix is probably done, but I sure hope he gets another chance.

This post was edited on 3/22 7:39 PM by Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480641/article/what-we-learned-from-the-veteran-combine

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.