RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR
11a01094-6b82-41f4-b91b-2fc793ea1f20.jpeg

Introduction Highlights:​

On Monte Kiffin:

SAM PITTMAN: I want to tell a story about Monte Kiffin. He was a defensive coordinator at Arkansas in 1977, '78, and '79. Lou Holtz was the head coach in those three years. With his expertise of coaching defense, the Razorbacks finished 3, 11, and 8 in the national polls when Coach Kiffin was the defensive coordinator.

In 1978 the Grove Ridge Runners played the Miami War Dogs, Coach Kiffin came over to the game. Now, I always knew I wanted to be a coach, and Coach Kiffin came over to the game. He was there to see Todd Berry. Todd Berry was the number one ranked quarterback in the state of Oklahoma. He was not there to see any of the Grove Ridge Runners.

We lost the game late 21 to 16, and Charlie Cooper, our head football coach there at Grove, Coach Kiffin came in and asked could he talk to the team. He came in and said some unbelievable things about our toughness and fight and our grit.

I remember the impact that his speech, that it made on me. I thought, you know, as I become a coach, how we can

change lives and how we can be meaningful to young athletes, young people by the way that Coach Kiffin talked to us that day. I'll never forget that as long as I live.

On Arkansas' culture:

SAM PITTMAN: They, along with a lot of guys, are developing a culture along with Ben Sowders in the strength staff that's like no other. I'm so excited about this football team and I'm excited about the talent level.

Also excited about the culture, about the way these guys treat each other, the way they talk to each other, the way they go out with each other, the way they compete against each other.
Over the past four years we have been invited to three bowl games. Two of the last three years at some point in the season we have been ranked in the top 10. I love this team. I love our coaches. Our expectations are as high as they've ever been for this season coming up.

If we can take 4-20 to 9-4, we can deal with 4-8, too, and that's what we're going to do. I'm very excited about the Arkansas Razorbacks.

On Bobby Petrino and staff:

SAM PITTMAN: Bobby has been a great resource for me. Not only do I think he's a wonderful offensive coordinator, he also was a very successful head coach. So there are a lot of times where I'm able to run things by him and we decide collectively at times what is best for the University of Arkansas football team.

Ronnie Fouch, our new wide receiver coach came in from Missouri State and has done a wonderful job. Kobe Smith with the Miami Dolphins. He is our new running back coach. Eric Mateos is our new offensive line coach. He's done a wonderful job with our offensive line. Very excited about that group.

On offense/defense:

SAM PITTMAN: On offense, we have a lot to improve on. We think we addressed that in the portal with four offensive linemen and three portal running backs. Obviously went out and got a quarterback as well. Our wide receiver group is returning.

But I think the most improved part of our football team this spring was our offensive line. I'm excited about that group.

Defensively we were much improved from a year ago. Fewest yards allowed since 2010, best defense since 2014, and let the nation in defensive touchdowns with five.

We have to finish the season. We did not do that well. We have to figure out how to finish, win the close games. We lost five games by a touchdown or less. We have got to figure that out. We feel like we're well on our way to getting that accomplished.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.