ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Why Arkansas made top eight for coveted 2026 QB

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021
From @John Garcia Jr.

One of the top rising-junior quarterback recruits nationally has taken the next step in his recruitment. Dereon Coleman, the Orlando (Fla.) Jones quarterback who broke out as a coveted dual-threat during the 2023 season, tells Rivals he has narrowed his list of college options to eight programs.

Arkansas, Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas A&M and UCF are the top schools the four-star will continue to consider moving forward.

Coleman commented on each program ahead of his latest unofficial visit, to Oklahoma, beginning on Wednesday.

Arkansas: "My relationship with coach Bobby Petrino. The success he’s had with the QB Position. Love the scheme he runs."

Illinois: "I like what coach Barry Lunney Jr., offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, brings to the table from a scheme standpoint. He would be able to utilize my ability in a major way. The passion those players play with also stands out."

Nebraska: "The tradition of the program and seeing the success that recent five-star QB Dylan Raiola is having. I like what coach Matt Rhule has to offer from a coaching perspective. He is a coach who has been at the highest level and that's where I want to be one day."

Oklahoma: "A dream offer. A staff that truly believes in my abilities. The tradition of the program. The fans. It felt like home on my visit. Why not OU?"

Ole Miss: "With the things coach Lane Kiffin and staff are building with the program, it definitely has my attention. From an X and O’s standpoint, I see a-lot of myself in Jaxson Dart with the way he plays the game. I can see them playing in the college playoffs there."

TCU: "A chance to get a private education and play big-time football for a staff that doesn’t mind throwing the football around the yard. Nice fit for what staff likes to do."

Texas A&M: "Having a chance to play in the same uniform that the great Johnny Manziel played in front of the 12th man. In that stadium, it would be nuts. I heard that atmosphere is lit."

UCF: "Being able to stay home would mean a-lot. The relationship that has been developed between coach Gus Malzahn and myself is different. I feel I'd make a difference for that program."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News