ADVERTISEMENT

1989-1992 Basketball Hogs

JunkyardHawg

Hall of Fame
Apr 7, 2004
This is when I really started getting into Hog Ball. I remember being really into the '89 tournament and it really launched my fandom of the Razorbacks. Also remember all the talk about a potential matchup with UALR but wasn't meant to be. Even though we lost the Louisville game, I was all in at that point. Just loved the way we played and it set up for our Final Four run the next year.

Hated losing to Duke in the Final four but it was a better alternative to getting our ass kicked by UNLV plus we would claim our vengeance a couple years later.

91 and 92 were disappointments to me but 92 was more so. Hated losing to Memphis ST and Penny. We were the better team but there was lots of drama by that time, mostly with Todd Day, one of my favorite Hogs of all time. You just knew with that guy he was going to show up and be a boss each and ever game.

After making that Final Four in 89 this team never lived up to expectations for the most part. Should've won a Natty. Three of the top ten scorers off all time. Bench wasn't deep and I guess that was the biggest issue I remember how depressed I was after that Memphis St loss. I got on the phone and called Orville Henry(didn't think he'd answer) and he spent a good amount of time on the phone with me and talked me off of the ledge. Told me how much he loved the class coming in. He was a very kind man and I was stoked after I got off of the phone with him. Back then the only recruiting news you got was Magazines and I subscribed to them all. Street and Smith, Dickey V's magazine, forget who sponsored that one. Sporting News and most importantly. I got the Hawgs Illustrated magazine delivered and i'd spend hours going through those damn things and playing "what if".

Miss those days and really looked forward to the mail back then.

This tweet got me to thinking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News