ADVERTISEMENT

A last question for the board.

bobhawg

Starter
Oct 27, 2002
Since the Supreme Court has made its decision on gay marriage, would it not make sense to do away with civil marriage as it is only for tax purposes anyway and allow any church that wishes to have church weddings under their own rules. Since marriage basically is no longer what it was, is civil marriage even needed? The only other avenue for conservatives I think would be to change the constitution but I do not think that is possible with 63% of Americans supporting gay marriage rights. I personally have a word for the younger folks and that is: if you think things are changing fast, hang around as by the time you are my age, the world may not even be here

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the board is basically dead, I have one last question.

That is, since the Supreme Court has made its decision on gay marriage, would it not make sense to do away with civil marriage as it is only for tax purposes anyway and allow any church that wishes to have church weddings under their own rules. Since marriage basically is no longer what it was, is civil marriage even needed? The only other avenue for conservatives I think would be to change the constitution but I do not think that is possible with 63% of Americans supporting gay marriage rights. I personally have a word for the younger folks and that is: if you think things are changing fast, hang around as by the time you are my age, the world may not even be here
Thanks for the head's up. Worse than the world not being here, what if it is still here but everyone that lives here has equal rights. Gross.

Since the board is basically dead, I have one last question.

That is, since the Supreme Court has made its decision on gay marriage, would it not make sense to do away with civil marriage as it is only for tax purposes anyway and allow any church that wishes to have church weddings under their own rules. Since marriage basically is no longer what it was, is civil marriage even needed? The only other avenue for conservatives I think would be to change the constitution but I do not think that is possible with 63% of Americans supporting gay marriage rights. I personally have a word for the younger folks and that is: if you think things are changing fast, hang around as by the time you are my age, the world may not even be here
The world will be here. People said the same thing about interracial marriage. So your solution now that gays have equal rights is to move the yard stick and make it a purely religious thing so then you can deny them that?

The world will be here. People said the same thing about interracial marriage. So your solution now that gays have equal rights is to move the yard stick and make it a purely religious thing so then you can deny them that?
Actually my thoughts were how my conservative friends might be satisfied in their own world. I assume gays will welcome the civil marriage and not need a church one.

Actually my thoughts were how my conservative friends might be satisfied in their own world. I assume gays will welcome the civil marriage and not need a church one.
So gays are religious and might want a church wedding, but they can get that from the churches they attend that already accept their relationship. People of faith abandoning the society at large would be a terrible idea IMO. Things won't get better by burying your head in the sand. I don't speak for the LGBT community, but what they wanted (equal rights under the law) has been achieved. No church will be forced to marry a gay or lesbian couple against their will.

So gays are religious and might want a church wedding, but they can get that from the churches they attend that already accept their relationship. People of faith abandoning the society at large would be a terrible idea IMO. Things won't get better by burying your head in the sand. I don't speak for the LGBT community, but what they wanted (equal rights under the law) has been achieved. No church will be forced to marry a gay or lesbian couple against their will.
Actually I was trying to say the world will not end because of this court decision, and I for one agree it was correct. But like the 14th amendment, it will take time for some to accept it. Here in Georgia the politicians will be in a real pickle as they would like to oppose the decision but realize they cannot legally do that. And the fundamental preachers are screaming but they screamed when segregation was ended.

Actually I was trying to say the world will not end because of this court decision, and I for one agree it was correct. But like the 14th amendment, it will take time for some to accept it. Here in Georgia the politicians will be in a real pickle as they would like to oppose the decision but realize they cannot legally do that. And the fundamental preachers are screaming but they screamed when segregation was ended.
It's a generational thing that will settle itself out eventually. I was speaking in general in my response, sorry if you that it was directed at you personally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT