ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments and Depth

RazorAg

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2003
I see a lot of summary statements on the game last night. Not just on here but from some reporters, too. Statements mostly around our offensive line and defense.

What were you thinking at half? Here's what I was thinking. A few dumb penalties and two Knight runs; otherwise, we're dominating.

Our offense was dicing the up. 249 yards - 165 (11.1) thru the air and 84 (4.2) on the ground. Austin was 12-15 and Rawleigh was 10-71.

Offensive line was managing VERY well. As a lot of you know, I went to A&M for grad school. I got many texts the first half saying things along the lines of, "Damn, your OL is good!"

Take away the two Knight runs, and they had 121 yards of offense. Take away the Knight runs and they averaged 3.8 per carry. Knight was atrocious thru the air. Our defense locked him and the receivers down.

Second half starts. I knew they would have a nice drive because it would be scripted. They did but those bad snaps all drive caught with them with the fumble in the RZ.

Then, we eat up damn near the rest of the 3rd quarter with a great drive. Questionable call on Allen plunge. Keon doesn't cut it up the right way on the sweep.

Then, we fall apart.

I know it's a four quarter game. I know the Knight runs in the 1st half count. But, as I'm analyzing this game, I don't see problems that can't be fixed to a level that we'll get us where we should be: 8-9 wins. I don't see a bunch of doom and gloom.

I see an OL that is still figuring it out with plenty of positives. That's arguably the best pass rush in the country, and if we didn't get behind three scores, I think they would've continued to handle A&M well.

I see a defense that still doesn't have enough depth at LB and the secondary. Our young guys need to grow up.

And, I saw better adjustments made by the A&M staff. They outschemed us with their run calls after the third quarter.

That's a good team. 10-11 wins. We're a good team, too, and some of us should see below the surface better, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News