ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Arkansas targets set for July 4 commitments

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021
From @DanielFair

Independence Day is here, and among the fireworks, grilling and other festivities is some good news that could come for the Arkansas coaching staff.

Two Arkansas targets in the class of 2024 are slated to make their college announcements on Tuesday, and one more could also go public as well.

It could be the second year in a row that Arkansas gets a recruiting boost, as it was Independence Day 2022 that the Hogs locked up offensive lineman Paris Patterson – who followed through on his commitment and is now on campus – and gained the commitment of wide receiver Micah Tease, who later flipped to Texas A&M.

There's also one target listed below whose commitment date is a little cloudy.

Here's the info you need to know about these recruits and where Arkansas stands with them ahead of their commitments.

Chris Johnson - Three-star Defensive Back​

Johnson has been high on the Hogs' wish list for a while now, and the coaching staff's hard work could culminate in the Razorbacks making a bang in the recruiting world on Tuesday.

The plan had always been for Johnson to announce on July 4, but he tweeted last week saying he was pushing that date back. He tweeted again on Saturday, though, confirming his decision would come on Independence Day.

The Aledo, Texas, native has a top 3 of Arkansas, Arizona State and Oregon. He's taken official visits to all three, with Oregon getting the last look the weekend of June 23.

Johnson’s father was a junior college product before playing for Louisville en route to a nine-year NFL career, and Johnson said after his official visit to Arkansas his father taught him the importance of trusting the process.

"My dad didn't have an ordinary route, coming from someone who had to take the back door," Johnson said. "Coming from JUCO route then Louisville. When he told me trust the process it really meant something. Coming from someone that had to actually trust the process and work to where he got it just means a little different."

A commitment time of 7 p.m. CT is when Johnson is expected to announce his decision as to where he will play college football.

Ashton Bethel-Roman - Four-star Wide Receiver​

Arkansas wide receivers coach Kenny Guiton has two wide receivers in the fold for the 2024 recruiting class, and he'll look to bring one more as four-star Ashton Bethel-Roman is expected to announce his decision on Tuesday.

Bethel-Roman told HawgBeat he intends to make his announcement at 4 p.m. CT on Tuesday. He's taken official visits to Arkansas, Oregon and Texas Tech.

The Missouri City, Texas, native said after his official visit the family atmosphere in the Arkansas program sticks out to him.

"I felt like part of the family here," Bethel-Roman said. "I like the people around here. I don't really care for a big environment. Like how do I explain it? A big city? I don't really care about that. I just care about the organization and the family around it. Coach Pittman, he had it."

It's worth noting Bethel-Roman has received three FutureCasts to Arkansas, two by HawgBeat's Daniel Fair and Jackson Collier and one by Red Raider sports – Rivals' Texas Tech site – recruiting analyst Ben Golan.

Alex Foster - Three-star defensive lineman​

I'm putting Alex Foster on this list because it's somewhat unclear when he is planning on making an announcement. Initially, he had pushed back his commitment date from July 4 to July 10, but it looks like the tweet that contained that information has been deleted. So we could see him announce tomorrow, but we could also see him wait it out to July 10.

He's taken an unofficial visit to Arkansas as well as an official visit, and he's been to Baylor and Georgia Tech officially as well. He has expressed to HawgBeat he likes the allure of playing in the SEC and said he wants to face the best competition available, so Arkansas' placement in the toughest division in college football could play into the Hogs' favor.

The 5.6 three-star defensive lineman has the ability to play both inside and outside on the line, and with two four-stars locked up at defensive end in Kavion Henderson and Charleston Collins, it's believed if Foster makes it to campus he'll start out inside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News