ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of 'the fight'

Trey Biddy

Publisher
Jul 1, 2001
Fayetteville, Arkansas
arkansas.rivals.com
Just thought I'd put all the information together on 'the fight' from today's scrimmage. As I stated earlier, I'm putting together my main article, but putting out pieces at a time on here.

--

So, there was a little scuffle midway through the practice. Everyone’s going to be okay and returned to the scrimmage, but tempers flared a bit. True freshman McTelvin Agim and true sophomore Hjalte Froholdt were locked up and scuffling around after a play. Agim had to be restrained but then lunged after senior right tackle Dan Skipper and punched him in the facemask. Skipper retaliated with a right hook and there was a bit of a melee that was soon broken up.

First the obvious – Skipper is a 6-10, 334-pound senior and is generally regarded as the ‘baddest’ dude on the team. Agim is a 6-3, 288-pound true freshman who chose to forego his final semester of high school to enroll early. Obviously Agim has to learn that two personal fouls are bad for him and everyone in a red uniform…but it’s the spring, and you (yes, you) know you love reading Arkansas’ freshman super recruit won’t back down from anybody on the field and will even go after a four-year starting tackle.

Bielema was asked if Skipper was trying to settle Agim down, and his response was classic, “I doubt very much that Dan Skipper was trying to settle anybody down.” Bielema also said Agim probably deserved what he was getting into. He said Agim gets a little ‘chatty’ with the offensive linemen, and they may have been trying to put him in his place.

To be fair as to who deserved what and whose place is where, this all took place right after a dominating stretch where Agim had a sack against Froholdt, another play that could have been whistled as a sack and a play where he drove a double-team 10 yards into the offensive backfield.

As for Agim’s play, he has just been a lot to handle for anyone lined up across from him. Arkansas implemented the “CASH” package this week. That grouping features a defensive back on the linebacker level, like Kevin Richardson, and a defensive end bumped inside to defensive tackle. That was Agim on Saturday, so in addition to going at tackles, he also faced several guards. Look for Agim to be in the game Saturdays at defensive tackle during many for-sure passing downs – similar to how Deatrich Wise was used last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News