ADVERTISEMENT

Embracing this hire!! EDITED (Chad Morris)

CC Hogfan

Prospect
Nov 25, 2017
I know that the biggest majority of people will embrace this hire (there will always be that group that will not embrace new hires) I am 100% excited about this hire..

Chad Morris:

49 years old
Edgewood. Tx
Starting coaching in 1994 in Eustace, TX
Around 2003 Chad Morris (while coaching at Stephensville High School) He became a Texas High School Legend compiling a 169-38 record in Texas High School football.
Gus left Tulsa in 2008 and then recommended to Todd Graham in 2009 that Chad Morris be hired to continue the success of the Tulsa offense. Then in 2010 Chad Morris was hired and he was able to coordinate the offense of a (10-3 team) which averaged 505 yards of total offense, including 288 yards passing; 216 yards rushing.

EDITED (12/6)
Stats of note:
SMU had 3,000 yard passer
1,000 rusher (two that had 500)
two 1,000 yard passers and third guy with 800 yards passing..
OUR OFFENSE WITH CURRENT PERSONNEL WILL BE EXPLOSIVE (I am going to breakdown fits on offense with his offense with our current roster later today
)

Todd Graham went to Arizona State and Chad Morris moved on the Clemson. Dabo was struggling and his offense was averaging about 24 points per game and putting up about 324 yards of total offense. 2011 in comes Chad Morris based up the recommendation of Gus to Dabo for this job. In year one of Chad Morris' tenure his offense scored almost 10 more points a game then they did the previous year. Their yardage per game went up to 440 yards per game. Then in 2012 they went up to 512 yards of total offense and their scoring increased to 41 points per game.

During his career he has developed Qb's at an amazing clip:
- CJ Kinnie 3650 yards and 31 tds and 10 picks.. Completion % 59.6 (CJ Kinnie did have a stay in the NFL Originally signed with the New York Jets, and later ended up in the Canadian football League with the Rough Riders and the Calgary Stampedes.

- Tahj Boyd- 11,904 yards and 107 TD's ; Drafted to the New York Jets in 2014 and then later played for the Pittsburgh Steelers as well

- Recruited Deshaun Watson: Was his offensive coordinator in his freshman year:
His Freshman stats: Rushed for 200 yards passed for 1466 yards. 14 TD's and 2 Ints.
Watson was drafted as the 12th pick overall to the Houston Texans. (He credits Chad Morris for where he is, and what he learned from Morris in just one year)

No inside sources about jobs but I do know some Texas football coaches:

A friend of mine in Texas went to a clinic that Morris was leading and he called him a "pure offensive Genius" Around the state of Texas he is well thought of and has an open door to just about any school in Texas he wants to go into to. He is a popular guy there, and many will tell you down there he is one of the better offensive minds in all the Texas Colleges. He just happened to go to quit possibly the single worst D1 football program that there is. To his credit he wasn't afraid of the challenge and took a 1-11 football team and has rebuilt it. He has redshirted and developed his players throughout this process. SMU will win double digits in the AAC next season. He is a likable guy that players love and people want to be around.

I just talked to my friend in Texas (who is a hog fan btw) and he told me that if we can get him we would instantly become a HUGE hit in the state of Texas with schools and recruits. He would be able to sell the SEC (and yes tamu can as well) but they can only get 25 of them and the few that go to LSU, but he has deep roots in Texas.

Edited: (12/6) Talking to the Texas guys that I know! A lot of the high school coaches in Texas are excited about this. As much damage as Bret did at the TXHSFB association, we repaired that in one hire. Our name has been mud in Texas as our former head coach insulted all the coaches at the event he spoke at and basically made fun of the way they coach (the spread). I do know this was a popular hire as in the Dallas/Fort worth there are a lot of coaches that are Razorback fans, but BB rubbed them all the wrong way. Chad Morris hire fixed that overnight..

Excitement factor:

A lot of people might be a little apprehensive on this hire, because of his lack of "splash!" The truth is we need a coach that will come in here and build this thing to play modern day football. Its going to take speed, speed, speed.... Especially on the defensive side of the ball and that will all start with a quality hire at DC (which I am sure he can bring) with a proper budget.. His offense from Day 1 will be explosive and we have good pieces on offense to make this happen. I believe if he actually is the hire and we can get behind this guy he can bring excitement, class, and from what I have heard from those who have had contact with him, the state will embrace him.

Summary:
Bobby P gave Arkansas the blueprint of how to win here you have to have a big time offense. You recruit speed and play a wide open style and will neutralize the talent disparity that we will have most days. Then you will get a great recruit here or there that can be a program changer and who knows what happens from there. But a guy with deep Texas roots and someone the people of Arkansas will embrace, and someone that runs the same style of offense as probably about 85-90% of Texas and Arkansas run in their high schools. Coaches around the state that play this style will embrace a coach they can relate to and it will cause more high schools to get on board with the U of A.. Just like when Houston Nutt first came here everyone in the state embraced him because of his flare, passion, and innovation, I believe that if it is Morris we hire he will bring the relational ability of Nutt, style of Gus, and innovation of Bobby P.

Just Updated: I forgot his coaching tree and connections,
High School: All of Texas High School coaches, and Gus Malzahn
Tulsa: Todd Graham, Herb Hand, Keith Patterson and is (3-3-5)
Clemson: Dabo Swinney, Brent Venables, Robbie Caldwell (Oline Coach)
All the Staffs of the teams these guys play against that he meets at media days.
These guys built networks all throughout their careers and all the places these guys have coached at gives them connections as well.. Like Venables has ties in and around Oklahoma and all the Stoops gang. Dabo Swinney has connections around Alabama. Then he has Todd Graham's connections, Gus' connections and the network goes on. With a huge assistant budget you could be surprised who he might get on this staff.

Updated (12/6): I firmly believe that there is a relatively good chance that he does get Venables. The question will not be the willingness, but the money and timing! (this isn't a source just a gut feeling)

Again just my opinion...... Go Hogs Go

This is going to be fun

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News