ADVERTISEMENT

Former Mizzou player/ NFL prospect is gay

mikedamone

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2003
Michael Sam. Expected to be mid round pick. On ESPN now. SEC Co- Def POY.

This post was edited on 2/9 7:12 PM by mikedamone

Got to give the guy some credit. He is taking a hell of a gamble.

106761_1.jpg

I don't think it's as big of an issue as people might think. As long as he does his job he'll be fine.

Well good for him, but I think I would have waited until after the draft. But hell, who knows, maybe he wanted it out there so whoever does draft him gets him for who he is as well as a football player.

I'll be happy when this type of thing isn't such a huge story. His sexuality is his business.

He came out to the Mizzou team last summer. They all kept quiet. NFL scouts knew. It was going to come out.

Originally posted by MR_ARKANSAS:
I'll be happy when this type of thing isn't such a huge story. His sexuality is his business.
Him coming out gets us closer to it not being a big deal.

I happy
This post was edited on 2/9 8:06 PM by ohlordy

Originally posted by ohlordy:
He can do what he wants but is it okay if some players don't want to shower around him?

I mean do they have rights also ?
This is where the thread gets derailed folks.

Good for him. Also glad to see it didn't distract their team so that particular argument will have less credence; they had a great year.

everybody is happy
This post was edited on 2/9 8:08 PM by ohlordy

Originally posted by hpharri1994:

Originally posted by MR_ARKANSAS:
Him coming out gets us closer to it not being a big deal.

I didn't say or wasn't implying that he shouldn't have come out. I'll just be happy when we get past it is all. Those who have a problem with it will have that problem whether you come out or not. I just hate that it seems to matter to the point that people have to.

relief
This post was edited on 2/9 8:09 PM by ohlordy

He can do what he wants but is it okay if some players don't want to shower around him?

What a dumb comment.

Exactly what "rights" are you talking about? Shower rights?

What a stupid comment? Do you think the NFL will make guys take showers if they don't want to?

Or is that a thinly veiled way for you to say *he* should be made to shower separately to accommodate them?

Bigot alert!!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

heroic
This post was edited on 2/9 8:10 PM by ohlordy

Yes, they have the right to not shower with him the same as they have the right to not shower with whomever has cooties. If they see him in the shower before them, don't go in the shower. If they see him come in while they're showering, finish showering and getting ready. Problem solved.

Wow... Good for him. Count me in the the camp that thinks it's his business. I don't care. Hope he succeeds.

no, it is a simple question.

If somebody on the team was uncomfortable with taking a shower with the guy, would they have a right to express it?

Look these guys are young men, they have grown up in a different era so they probably will be fine with it

Old fans might have some comments but once he preforms well in the games, it should not come up again

I just wonder, if it is not supposed to be a big deal at all.....why did he have to announce it ?

I don't tell people who I like to have sex with
You might want to stop, so you don't fall further behind.

Lots of bigotry there oh lordy. Fact is that gay men that keep it lo key, usually arent attracted to straight men. We would probably be socked how many gay or bisexual men there already are in professional sports. Nothing to see here imo

Good for him. I do think Ohlordy has a valid point but I also think it will be handled appropriately and will be a non issue for any team. As long as the guy gives great effort there should be no reason for problems. The locker room as always will draw its own line on every subject.

The nature of the game and players looking for a mental edge he will catch hell on the field though. Just the way it is

Why does he come out and say this? Because we are not Russia and thank God for that. GHG

Originally posted by floridahog:

Why does he come out and say this? Because we are not Russia and thank God for that. GHG
If he told his team last year as reported it would come out in the NFL background checks that dig way to deep. Even if they kept it quiet an agent of another LB would more than likely release it late to get hopefully get their client a bump over him. It should be a non issue but honestly some teams will pass because of it as stupid as that sounds.

So either be able to say you were the one who came out on your own for the rest of your life OR you cowered in the face of adversity and allowed someone else to disclose something that is very important to you. He took control of the situation.

Serious question - if teams don't pick him now are they going to be looked at differently now this is public?

I admire the kid & hope he is treated well in a tough profession for anyone who's different

Originally posted by Jonah1280:
Serious question - if teams don't pick him now are they going to be looked at differently now this is public?
He's a legitimate NFL prospect, so yes, they will be looked at differently. The NFL will be subject to discrimination lawsuits, too. I imagine he'll get drafted, and it will be no issue.

I'll be glad when the day comes that someone's sexuality isn't making headlines.

If you concern yourself with a public figured sexuality, you need a hobby.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I was just asking about how far he goes in the draft do teams have to answer the question on whether or not they didn't draft him due to his sexuality?

Originally posted by Jonah1280:
I was just asking about how far he goes in the draft do teams have to answer the question on whether or not they didn't draft him due to his sexuality?
That will likely be one of the hot topics of the draft, which is unfortunate. It's a story, and it will be discussed until the draft is over. I'm sure there are coaches and GMs who will recognize his athletic value to their team, and there's marketing potential to a niche market that has yet to be tapped, which means a new revenue stream.

Marketing? Really?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT