ADVERTISEMENT

Friday's Notes (10:24 Update)

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
Arkansas' biggest and most important weekend for the Class of 2017 is underway and recruits will be arriving throughout the afternoon on Friday. I'll post all notables in this thread (with the time of the latest update in the subject line).

Note to all new subscribers: We don't bother the recruits while they're on campus for their official visits. We see that as the staff's time with them, so there will be updates at the beginning and at the end of the visits. If something big happens during the visit, like a commitment, obviously that is news that you'll see on here.

Here are some key notes and updates to get your Friday started:

5881a482886c3-FRIDAYSNOTES.png

- Defensive tackle Malik Young of Eastern Arizona Junior College arrived for his official visit late Wednesday evening. He will have a 5:30 a.m. breakfast with defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads Friday morning before heading to the airport to catch his flight to Arizona State.

Young, 6-3, 290, had a jam-packed Thursday as the Razorbacks basically squeezed a full 48-hour official visit into one day. Sources say despite not having the ideal weekend visit, the visit went great and things are looking promising between Young and the Razorbacks at this stage.

-------------------------

- Four-star safety Brad Stewart is probably the most asked-about prospect of January. For those who have been asking if there's a way for Arkansas to land Montaric Brown, Kamren Curl AND Stewart at safety in this class, that is a realistic possibility in terms of the numbers. I had previously stated that I didn't think the numbers would allow that scenario, but I've been corrected.

I spoke to Brad a little while ago and he told me several family members wanted to come on the visit, so they'll be driving up from New Orleans in the morning. He has to run to school and take a test in the morning before they hit the road so they may not make it here until sometime tomorrow evening (somewhere around 6-7 is probably a safe bet).

My gut feeling right now is that the family is very high on Arkansas and the job they've done recruiting Brad. Obviously Stewart himself is the one who will decide, so finally getting him on campus for the official visit is a big deal and could determine a lot.

As reported earlier this week, Bret Bielema, Paul Rhoads and Michael Smith did an in-home visit with Stewart Monday night.

- Speaking of Montaric, what I expect to happen this weekend is for him to clear his head and shut things down completely. He may surprise me and stick with those plans to see OSU next week, but if I had to guess right now I think he'll stay with the Hogs.

- Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C. defensive end/outside linebacker Gabe Richardson tells me he won't arrive in Fayetteville until very early Saturday morning (around 2 a.m.). He is coming down with former Razorback and Arkansas graduate assistant Alfred Davis, who just accepted the D-line coaching job at Hutch last week.

Richardson does not own an offer from the Razorbacks. He made an official visit at Buffalo last weekend.

He had 60 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 6 sacks this past season.

- Tyler Junior College defensive end/outside linebacker Michael Epley tells me he will arrive in Fayetteville a little before 2 p.m.

Epley had 85 tackles, 23 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks in 2016. He signed with SMU in 2014 and redshirted. He played there in 2015 and then transferred to Tyler JC last spring.

Like Richardson, Epley has not been offered by the Hogs.

- Some visitors will start rolling in at around midday and on through the afternoon and early evening. Keep checking the board (and maybe mention our current promo to a friend who likes this stuff).

Later.

- Forgot to post this earlier, but 2018 OL Darrell Simpson of Justin (Texas) Northwest reports a new Arkansas offer.

9:33 a.m. UPDATE

- Four-star cornerback Chevin Calloway tells me he'll land in Northwest Arkansas at 11:55 this morning. His parents and his sister are driving up and will arrive later on in the day.

12:30 UPDATE

- Chevin Calloway, Chase Hayden, Tommy Kujawa, Jarques McClellion and Jordon Curtis have all arrived here in NWA.

12:42 UPDATE:

- Maleek Barkley has landed.

12:52 UPDATE:

- Forgot Koilan Jackson, he's made it to Fayetteville.

12:56 UPDATE:

- Derrick Munson has arrived.

3:05 UPDATE:

- Montaric Brown and Michael Epley have arrived.

4:45 UPDATE:

- Brad Stewart tells me they'll roll into Fayetteville a little after 8.

5:24 UPDATE:

- Kam Curl has made it here.

10:24 UPDATE:

- Arkansas has landed a commitment from Ty Clary.

- Brad Stewart and family did arrive earlier tonight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News