ADVERTISEMENT

Grades and breakdown

CoachCaldwell

Prospect
Dec 31, 2012
First off, I am tickled to death about the win and the way we are playing. The story of this game is simple and yet so exciting to even talk about. Credit goes first to Dan Enos for putting the scheme out there that has opened up the box and has teams so off balance right now that we have one of the top offenses in the nation. Secondly, credit has to go to BA who has had plenty of rough moments in his career, but its great to see that he has proven many wrong including me, that he has turned the corner and has been playing so well. Thirdly, the offensive line has finally become what they were hyped up to be. All of these 3 turn-around's came when Dominique Reed emerged as a legitimate game breaker. His presence alone forces teams to not be able to commit safeties to run help. Our Offensive line now has one on one blocks instead of trying to block 8 or 9 sometimes in the box. This offense is clicking right now and all pieces are working together.

The Good

So many things could be in this category, but without a doubt it has to go to our offensive line, they dominated the front 7 of LSU and owned the trench to the tune of 300 yards rushing against a national powerhouse.

The Bad

The LSU secondary tackling, played horrible in this game. The 80 yard run by Collins was because the Safety took the wrong angle and opened up the field. Also, a poor angle cost them a 50+ yard td catch and run by Reed.

The Ugly

Les Miles in the post game interview! He makes me laugh and hope he stays around for LSU.

Grades

QB: BA made some really good throws on 3rd down and he is playing with such confidence. His biggest throw of the night was the 3rd and 9 square in to Jared Cornelius. They were in a 2 high look and their safety #33 was in good position to make a play, but Jared's route cut across his face giving BA a small window. Then with good timing and accuracy he threw it low and away, the only place only Jared could make the play. This game was really impressive from the standpoint he didn't throw many passes because he didn't need to, and so he didn't have time to get in a rhythm. Yet when we needed it he threw accurate balls. Well done.
Grade A-

RB: Collins was easily the player of the game, and Kody Walker also played really well. These guys hit the holes and both did a good job in Pass Pro. However, Alex did fumble the ball so it can't be a perfect score, but he did play a great game other than that.
Grade: A-

WR: Reed, Morgan, and Cornelius are the biggest difference on this team in my opinion. Its because of what these guys offer on the outside that has opened up the inside. Reed is the biggest helper for Collins, BA, Cornelius, Morgan, Henry, and Sprinkle. His presence and what he offers outside that has opened everything up for everyone else. Now if you commit 8 to 9 to the box BA will have a field day on you. He has targets now that can make a guy miss and score, or flat out run by you on 9 routes. This has become a complete team because now we threaten you everywhere on the field.
Grade: A+

TE: These guys are good and they also are great weapons. From a physical standpoint they blocked well in this one. Thought Sprinkle had one of his best games that no one will talk about because he didn't catch a pass. Week in and week out his blocking improves.

Oline: Great game and Skipper was as good as he has been as a hog.

Defense

DLine: Best performance of the year easily! Deatrick Wise showed up and showed out. I remember someone on here arguing with me profusely that he wasn't a quick twitch athlete (when I was saying this team had too much talent to be playing like this.) I said he was our best pass rusher, and it has actually showed up here lately that he is easily the best we have.
Grade: A+ (I mean 5 Sacks enough said)

LB: Dre Greenlaw continues to play well against the run (which he has all year) and he had a decent game against the pass as well. Problem is for him when they go 5 wide and he has to be concerned with a wide out in the slot. Look for State to try to exploit that this coming Saturday.
Grade: B

Secondary: Played decent without a doubt and that is about all I can say there. Still let too many get past them for my liking (especially with an inept qb like Harris) but all in all they did much better.
Grade: B+

Special teams: B: easily the best performance of the year.

Play of the game:

Reed's touchdown reception in the 1st quarter! This play opened everything up for the rest of the game and made Enos' job so easy from that point on.

Conclusion:

Great game and I am proud of this team and staff they deserve all the credit in the world. They have rescued what was looking like a bad season. I don't care what anyone says, loses to Toldeo, TT, TAMU wasn't giving most people much hope, including me. However, to their credit they have turned it around and now have a chance to win out.

Still say that Miss State is a toss up because of Dak Prescott, and I don't care what anyone says our secondary struggles with teams that go 5 wide and have a mobile QB. He will likely have a field day on us, unless we gain a lot of confidence that the D very likely will have after that performance this Saturday.They are our toughest test left with what they present to us from a schematic stand point, and I hope we show up for sure.

Well have a great week, WPS!

Last edited:
Coach you went to far the other direction now there is to much positivity lol just kidding thanks for the breakdown post Coach C...

Before someone posts something negative, I want to say thank you. Many of us look forward to your 'grades and breakdown' post. I don't always agree with your take, but I do appreciate your honesty and I always learn something from your post.
Keep up the good work, and as much as possible stay positive when the critics come out.

First off, I am tickled to death about the win and the way we are playing. The story of this game is simple and yet so exciting to even talk about. Credit goes first to Dan Enos for putting the scheme out there that has opened up the box and has teams so off balance right now that we have one of the top offenses in the nation. Secondly, credit has to go to BA who has had plenty of rough moments in his career, but its great to see that he has proven many wrong including me, that he has turned the corner and has been playing so well. Thirdly, the offensive line has finally become what they were hyped up to be. All of these 3 turn-around's came when Dominique Reed emerged as a legitimate game breaker. His presence alone forces teams to not be able to commit safeties to run help. Our Offensive line now has one on one blocks instead of trying to block 8 or 9 sometimes in the box. This offense is clicking right now and all pieces are working together.

The Good

So many things could be in this category, but without a doubt it has to go to our offensive line, they dominated the front 7 of LSU and owned the trench to the tune of 300 yards rushing against a national powerhouse.

The Bad

The LSU secondary tackling, played horrible in this game. The 80 yard run by Collins was because the Safety took the wrong angle and opened up the field. Also, a poor angle cost them a 50+ yard td catch and run by Reed.

The Ugly

Les Miles in the post game interview! He makes me laugh and hope he stays around for LSU.

Grades

QB: BA made some really good throws on 3rd down and he is playing with such confidence.
Grade A-

RB: Collins was easily the player of the game, and Kody Walker also played really well. These guys hit the holes and both did a good job in Pass Pro. However, Alex did fumble the ball so it can't be a perfect score, but he did play a great game other than that.

WR: Reed, Morgan, and Cornelius are the biggest difference on this team in my opinion. Its because of what these guys offer on the outside that has opened up the inside. Reed is the biggest helper for Collins, BA, Cornelius, Morgan, Henry, and Sprinkle. His presence and what he offers outside that has opened everything up for everyone else.

TE: These guys are good and they also are great weapons.

Oline: Great game and Skipper was as good as he has been as a hog.

Defense

DLine: Best performance of the year easily! Deatrick Wise showed up and showed out. I remember someone on here arguing with me profusely that he wasn't a quick twitch athlete (when I was saying this team had too much talent to be playing like this.) I said he was out best pass rusher, and it has actually showed up here lately that he is easily the best we have.
Grade: A+ (I mean 5 Sacks enough said)

LB: Dre Greenlaw continues to play well against the run (which he has all year) and he had a decent game in the pass pro as well.
Grade: B

Secondary: Played decent without a doubt and that is about all I can say there. Still let too many get past them for my liking (especially with an inept qb like Harris) but all in they did much better.
Grade: B+

Special teams: B easily the best performance there of the year.

Play of the game:

Reed's touchdown reception in the 1st quarter! This play opened everything up for the rest of the game and made Enos' job so easy from that point on.

Conclusion:

Great game and I am proud of this team and staff they deserve all the credit in the world. They have rescued what was looking like a bad season. I don't care what anyone says, loses to Toldeo, TT, TAMU wasn't giving most people much hope, including me. However, to their credit they have turned it around and now have a chance to win out.

Still say that Miss State is a toss up because of Dak Prescott, and I don't care what anyone says our secondary struggles with teams that go 5 wide and have a mobile QB. He will likely have a field day on us, unless we gain a lot of confidence that the D will likely have after that performance Saturday.They are our toughest test left and I hope they do.

Well have a great week, WPS!
Agree on all points. Thanks for the breakdown.

If someone presents themselves as an expert in a particular field is it unfair to ask about their qualifications? I don't think so and I don't find that question to be unnecessary. If you do please explain why.

Last edited:
I really enjoy CC's insight as much as anything posted each week. Keep bringing it Coach!

It's funny to watch people worship the Rosshawgs over the years, but actively criticize a good poster that knows what he's talking about.

If someone presents themselves as an expert in a particular field is it unfair to ask about their qualifications? I don't think so and I don't find that question to be unnecessary. If you do please explain why.
He doesn't claim expert status, no one else on the board deems him as an expert, he has already outlined his coaching background, and he is
simply a coach who gives his opinions in a graded scale form.
It is unnecessary to continue to take him to task. His posts are not made to inflame or bait, but rather to fodder civil discussion.

I get that you have issues with him, but I'd prefer you make peace with a poster for the good of the board, or be tolerant in disagreement.

He claims expert status by the very nature of his handle,coach. He further claims expert status by posting his weekly reviews and I'm not sure how you can read any other way
I never saw anything about his coaching experience because it was posted here once does not mean everyone saw it
My question was a legitimate one other then I disagree with his opinions regarding this football team I have no issues with him

He claims expert status by the very nature of his handle,coach. He further claims expert status by posting his weekly reviews and I'm not sure how you can read any other way
I never saw anything about his coaching experience because it was posted here once does not mean everyone saw it
My question was a legitimate one other then I disagree with his opinions regarding this football team I have no issues with him
ok...then we all agree he is not an expert and you can research his previous posts to confirm his coaching background.
That should suffice to assuage

Or he could just repost his qualifications as a courtesy:cool:
they are not 'qualifications'......they were simply his coaching experience/background.......nothing that you would
consider overtly impressive......don't understand your continuing hang up with his board moniker.....it shouldn't be
a deal breaker for you......it is not like he is passing himself off as a guru ...he is simply a fellow poster that
has been respectful of the other posters until goaded into unnecessary wars of words...........

Reactions: gbbaber
They are just a fan's observations............nobody gets benched or fired over this.
Most fans here have a lot of knowledge about football and are free to give their view.

I just don't see this as him talking down to us

Reactions: The_Pig_Lebowski
they are not 'qualifications'......they were simply his coaching experience/background.......nothing that you would
consider overtly impressive......don't understand your continuing hang up with his board moniker.....it shouldn't be
a deal breaker for you......it is not like he is passing himself off as a guru ...he is simply a fellow poster that
has been respectful of the other posters until goaded into unnecessary wars of words...........

Agree completely.

ump:
I may be reading between the lines here but I hope your string of posts to Wally are a warning sign of a pending time out. There's no reason for the stalking and tone he takes with Coach. There's nothing civil about it and it clutters up a good discussion.

Reactions: The_Pig_Lebowski
Bro I have learned this ignore button is awesome with him and 3 others.

I enjoy reading your post, all i said was you get upset and threaten to quit posting and raise hell if someone questions your opinion (as you have done in the past ). i have never posted anything bad about you or your post. Threatening the board to stop posting may come across as you thinking members owe you an standing ovation for your presence.

Sorry if i offended you and thanks for your post, i really do enjoy reading them

spchlss.gif

Or he could just repost his qualifications as a courtesy:cool:

Reactions: Wallyhogg
Agree completely.

ump:
I may be reading between the lines here but I hope your string of posts to Wally are a warning sign of a pending time out. There's no reason for the stalking and tone he takes with Coach. There's nothing civil about it and it clutters up a good discussion.
I don't do time outs.....Trey and maybe Danny do those as last result or after previous warnings.......I will edit, delete, or warn......I've been in everyone's shoes here.......so I can empathize with the lovers and haters, the sunshine pumpers and darksiders, the half full and half empty, etc.

I am an old free board(The Hill) crazy reigned in by Hogchick to learn to proper message board etiquette and behavior, whose sports passion was so inflamed that it virtually consumed and poisoned me to the point of physical health issues, imperiled my relationships with my wife and family, destroyed my witness, colored my personality, clouded my perspective and common sense, made me irrational, and tempered my humanity and charity.

I'm pushing 60, and while likely never fully maturing into the person I'd most want to be-lol, I've gathered myself, found a solid foundation for life perspective and rationality, made peace with my insecurities and demons, faced my faults(and fixed many of them-lol), and found joy and happiness in life's simple things.

Still love my sports, and communing and communicating that passion with fellow fans. I love the concept of The Edge, the passion of our posters, and intelligent dialogue and debate among most of the posters. I respect the fans of the Razorbacks posters here, and as a mod, I humbly expect that
everyone else go deep within themselves to find a modicum of respect for their fellow posters.

I recognize that The Edge is also a place to vent frustrations and a outlet for diverse opinion both objective and subjective, but I refuse to believe that
it must also be a vehicle for open ended belittling, baiting, haranguing, disparaging, cursing, fighting, bickering, deadhorse beating, mocking, etc.
The former doesn't begat the latter.

I see my role is to minimize the latter, making the forum maximize its potential for the greatest number of posters. I believe the board rules
serve all the posters equally and fairly. I know that all the mods don't see everything the same and I believe the board mods balance the
board and each other well.

I think Trey and Danny are the best in the Arkansas message board business and I spend no time 2nd guessing how they admininstrate the
the Arkansas Rivals boards and I love being a small cog and devoted fellow poster with each and every one of you. I make the same mistakes
and fall prey to the same base human instincts and frailties as everyone else here, so I try my best to exercise fair judgment of what is
acceptable and unacceptable under the board rules and apply that accordingly.

FWIW

Caldwell since you have me on ignore you will not see what I have to say ..... I pity the poor kids you coach -- I really do .... the parents should demand a refund of your salary.

Reactions: SOPA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT