ADVERTISEMENT

Gun bill is insane

JJHog

Signee
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Allowing guns at sporting events?
I thought our politicians were somewhat intelligent.
This is insane.

SEC could boot us out if this stands.

Can the U of A have their own policy of no guns at sporting events?

This is insane.

It's an overreaction, it will be billed out that they aren't allowed at sporting events, and the sec will not boot us. Calm down

This bill says they are allowed and the SEC is monitoring the legislation.
You could lose your SEC membership over something like this.

Do these idiot politicians think I am taking my kids to a game if their are people there packing? booze, guns, emotionally environment.

Surely the exemption will go through.

too bad Frank is not around, this would be nixed with a phone call or two.

Reactions: OPPHOG
hope you are right , that is not what Bo is saying on radio.
Rep Collins says there is great opposition to the exemption

Reactions: razorbacksyall
hope you are right , that is not what Bo is saying on radio.
Rep Collins says there is great opposition to the exemption

Bielema sure made it clear he doesn't want guns in the stadium.

too bad Frank is not around, this would be nixed with a phone call or two.
this blurb from Arkansas 24/7:

It has been just less than a week that Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson signed into law HB 1249. Hutchinson signed it on Wednesday, but the following day Senator Jonathan Dismang led the charge to pass a bill to add exemptions to the legislation signed the previous day.

Given the intense atmosphere surrounding athletic events, adding weapons increases safety concerns and could negatively impact the intercollegiate athletics program at the University of Arkansas in several ways, including scheduling, officiating, recruiting and attendance.

HB 1249 creates concerns for the Southeastern Conference and its member institutions. It remains our collective desire to provide a safe environment for student-athletes, coaches, officials and fans, and will continue to closely monitor the status of this legislation.

Dismang's bill allows gun bans at UAMS, the State Hospital and collegiate athletic events and venues. Dismang's measure also provides that universities couldn't be liable for actions by people who took a concealed weapon campus.

The way the bill was passed on Wednesday was spectators would have to pass eight hours of gun training to be eligible for the gun rights law that goes into effect on Sept. 1.

Hutchinson told the AP he supports the Dismang bill. He told AP the exemption for football games came from "concerns" from "many" in the state.

If a Hog board just now found out about this, I doubt many in the country know about it.

What does that say about the people that elect them time after time?

There are term limits in Arkansas State Government. The problem is that most politicians are just that, politicians... As for the US House and Senate, they are mostly career politicians that are hard to unseat. Once they get into office, they have the full backing of their party financially. It is hard for a nobody with good intentions to even make a legitimate run with limited resources.

This is insane.

they will get it cleared up, we aren't going to get kicked out of the conference, and there isn't going to be some redneck yahoo carrying a 40 cal. in the stadium

Reactions: Lefty8
This bill says they are allowed and the SEC is monitoring the legislation.
You could lose your SEC membership over something like this.

Do these idiot politicians think I am taking my kids to a game if their are people there packing? booze, guns, emotionally environment.

Surely the exemption will go through.
Do you really think that there aren't people already packing? Laws only stop people who abide by them.

Seriously....this is the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever heard of. Guns, alcohol, sec football...what could possibly go wrong?
I know, right? I mean, it isn't like people haven't used guns in other prohibited areas before, like schools and movie theaters.

Reactions: Lefty8
This is insane.

It's a conspiracy for us to move to the Big 12

Reactions: TheNaturalState
I know, right? I mean, it isn't like people haven't used guns in other prohibited areas before, like schools and movie theaters.

Oh sure...schools and movie theaters offer identical environments as a Saturday afternoon SEC football game in F'ville?!?! Seriously, you can't defend this...I don't care what side of gun debate you fall on. Guns and alcohol are a bad combo. Period. Then throw in the intensity of an SEC football game with opposing fans and referees = recipe for disaster. Stupid and embarrassing IYAM.

Reactions: fleckabelly
Oh sure...schools and movie theaters offer identical environments as a Saturday afternoon SEC football game in F'ville?!?! Seriously, you can't defend this...I don't care what side of gun debate you fall on. Guns and alcohol are a bad combo. Period. Then throw in the intensity of an SEC football game with opposing fans and referees = recipe for disaster. Stupid and embarrassing IYAM.
I don't disagree with the argument that guns and alcohol are a bad combination. My point is, what is a law going to do to stop idiots from mixing the two?

Seriously....this is the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever heard of. Guns, alcohol, sec football...what could possibly go wrong?
You guys don't get it. This bill is only pointed at getting us fair calls from the zebras. Don't you think they will think twice about screwing us with drunk Hog fans packing heat up in the stands?

I don't disagree with the argument that guns and alcohol are a bad combination. My point is, what is a law going to do to stop idiots from mixing the two?
It's not going to stop those idiots, but it's also telling those idiots it's ok to carry in these places. I guarantee you if this law stays in place, attendance will be down. I wouldn't take my kids to the stadium with this law in place. I think it will also encourage more "non-complaint" people to carry. Can you imagine the games in Little Rock?? Hell, they burn couches after games.....next they'll be shooting guns.

Reactions: gibbyda
It's not going to stop those idiots, but it's also telling those idiots it's ok to carry in these places. I guarantee you if this law stays in place, attendance will be down. I wouldn't take my kids to the stadium with this law in place. I think it will also encourage more "non-complaint" people to carry. Can you imagine the games in Little Rock?? Hell, they burn couches after games.....next they'll be shooting guns.
Idiots don't care about the law, no matter how loose or restrictive it is.

Reactions: BOSSHOGFREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT