ADVERTISEMENT

OT Had to put my 12 yo Shep down yesterday

JunkyardHawg

Hall of Fame
Apr 7, 2004
it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I held onto her too long. I'd been carrying her to the bathroom for the last month and Sunday I could tell she was suffering. My daughter and i had discussed it for quite sometime and both agreed God would let us know when it was time and it was.

Was heartbroken all day yesterday as Megan and I took that last ride together and as I watched her take her last breath, I held her head and we stared into each others eyes the whole time. The Dr. Asked if I wanted to leave the room during and I said no way I'm leaving her.

My question is for anyone that's ever experienced this with still having another dog that spent his whole life with her. So far I can't tell if he's grieving. We've gone on walks last night and this morning and I'm not sure if he's hurting or not. I don't want to leave him alone. He's an Alpha but loves attention. I never knew but my daughter snapped a pic of him when I went to the grocery awhile back and he waited by the door for me the entire time.

How do you tell when a dog is grieving and what are some extra steps you can take to help?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News