ADVERTISEMENT

OT Had to say goodbye to my boy tonight

JunkyardHawg

Hall of Fame
Apr 7, 2004
Prayed that it didn't come down to this but I was left with no choice. Couple of months ago he was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma in his right ear. He'd had ear infections his whole life so they never thought to check for a tumor until it didn't heal this last time. God has been good to us giving us a couple more months with him. He was so fragile but never let onto us how much he was hurting. We went on 4 walks a day for the last however many days we had and he ate like a King. Whatever he wanted. Last week I brought home two pounds of Boars Head Chicken and Turkey. I noticed he hadn't eaten his food so I gave him a piece of the turkey. Within ten minutes he had eaten both bags. About twenty bucks worth. Didn't care. Was very glad he enjoyed it.

Sunday I noticed his eye was puffing out on the lower lid and his side lips were hanging and lots of drool and saliva on that side. Both on the infected side. Also his breathing was a bit labored. Called the vet and she was pretty sure that the tumor was just pressing on nerves and that he was in no pain. And he didn't seem to be. Today the saliva was foamy and breathing was really bad. Didn't start until after the vet had closed so I left a message. Within two hours he the breathing was getting worse and really struggling to breath. Called my daughter and told her she better get over here and she came right away. At first I thought we had at least until tomorrow until we heard back from the vet but within another hour or two he was struggling to breath and the foam had a pink tint to it. Second Shep I've had to put down in the last two years and they both lived past their prime. One turned twelve and my boy AJ would've been twelve this July. They grew up together and bought them both at 12 weeks.

My daughter and I got to spend a good couple of hours with him tonight before I made the decision that it was time. He was ready, even she knew he was ready but I just wasn't ready. It's so damn hard to let go. He was my best friend and he's seen me through twelve years of sobriety and helped me raise my awesome daughter. I'm crushed right now. I stayed in the room with him and held his head as he went to sleep. Everybody always says "My dog is the best dog ever" and everyone of them is right. I've got pictures that my daughter took of him waiting by the door for me when I've run to the grocery store. Makes you wonder how often they think about you when you're gone. I really try to live each day as it's the last but there were times in the twelve years that I was probably too tired to throw the ball with him. I'm such a sentimental dude and I loved this guy so much that I am going to stumble across things daily that remind me of him.

All you folks that checked in on me on facebook, twitter and messages on here while I was going through this cancer thing with my boy, I really appreciate you all. He's not hurting anymore and y'all helped me get through this.

We go at each other on this board a lot but when it comes down to it, a lot of y'all are really good people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News