ADVERTISEMENT

Health Insurance

Trey Biddy

Publisher
Jul 1, 2001
Fayetteville, Arkansas
arkansas.rivals.com
When I switched over to the company I'm with when I was 33, my health insurance was $75...good plan. $1,000 deductible.

The next year I was informed that it would go up to $100 because they haven't raised rates in a while.

When I turned 35, I was informed that it would go up to $135 since I reached a new age bracket.

After the healthcare reform, I was told it would go up to $158 to keep up with rising costs.

In the three years I've had it, it has doubled.

I was also informed that I narrowly missed the date to be 'grandfatherd' in with my current plan and when this year is up I will have to switch to the new way of healthcare.

My monthly cost will then go up to over $250 a month and my deductible will go from $1,000 to $2,500.

So in four years, my health insurance will go up $175 from where it started at $75 and my deductible will go up from $1,000 to $2,500. Awesome and fair.

Originally posted by Trey Biddy:
Not trying to make this a political thing but crap. Next year for my family I'll pay $650 a month with a deductible total of $7,500.

Is your deductible $2,500 or $7,500?

If $7,500 your premium is too high.

If $2500 probably about right.

In any case if you want to look into it a bit further call me Monday.

Been in the business a long time.

Call Monday 501-224-6666 and ask for Tom.

I'll be glad to visit with you about it.

Everyone can point fingers at the HCRA, but I truly believe it's the pharmaceutical industry that should be blamed. And for a lot of insurance providers, HCRA was just a convenient excuse for them to jack rates even more than before. Americans pay out the ass for healthcare for a product that ranks way down the list of developed countries in terms of quality. HRCA may be the answer, but there has to be something done to get healthcare costs back in line.

Originally posted by WhiskeyDrunk:
My solution is to make more money
Posted from Rivals Mobile
My concern is that this will put me in a new tax bracket.

hqdefault.jpg

This year, I finally scrapped the old HMO style of plan that I've had for years and went to a HSA based high deductible plan. You need more money in the beginning, but I save in the Long run because there is no monthly dues or co pays and once my deductible is met, everything is covered at 100%.

Originally posted by Method Ham:
Everyone can point fingers at the HCRA, but I truly believe it's the pharmaceutical industry that should be blamed. And for a lot of insurance providers, HCRA was just a convenient excuse for them to jack rates even more than before. Americans pay out the ass for healthcare for a product that ranks way down the list of developed countries in terms of quality. HRCA may be the answer, but there has to be something done to get healthcare costs back in line.
I agree. It's not just one man's fault. The whole system is screwed up. If you go through something traumatic and didn't have healthcare then it would cost more money than you could ever pay off, and that's just not right. There's too many hands that everything has to pass through before it gets to you, and some of those hands are doing nothing but collecting a check. Streamline it.

Actually you would be best off by making less money, so you get free Obamacare! This is all driving toward a single payer system and that will be a very sad day for those that work hard to take care of their families. Welcome to the New America!

Originally posted by GoHogs3:
Actually you would be best off by making less money, so you get free Obamacare! This is all driving toward a single payer system and that will be a very sad day for those that work hard to take care of their families. Welcome to the New America!
Anybody know the cutoff line for Obamacare?

Not fun spending more money.

But....

1. You no longer face a cap on benefits, meaning if something awful happened and you needed 8 surgeries, you will no longer be screwed.

2. There IS a cap on out of pocket co-insurance costs now, meaning if you have 20% co-insurance in your plan and you have a 200,000 dollar hospital bill, you would have been on the hook for 20% of that. Those costs are now capped at 12k for a family and 6.7k for an individual.

3. Not saying this applied to you, but if your kid ended up with epilepsy or asthma, they would no longer be able to drop you from the roles when your policy expired.

There are a bunch of other things as well, but the basic point is that you aren't just paying for nothing. The cost increases are a result of increased protection, it is basically the cost of getting rid of all the provisions that screw people when they really need insurance the most.

Anybody know the cutoff line for Obamacare?
If you are asking what is the income limit for tax credit or other financial assistance the quick answer is 400% of the federal poverty level. (FPL)

That of course begs the question what is the FPL?

It varies by family size.

The answer is not that simple because the numbers used by the Marketplace for pricing the credits and other financial assistance depend on "modified adjusted gross income" which is a product of various answers to income and deduction questions.

Seriously, Trey, I will be glad to help.

It will cost you nothing and I guarantee the commissions on this stuff is VERY small due to the ACA insurers have really reduced them.

501-224-6666. Business phone. 501-944-8729 cell.

Just trying to help.

The ACA was supposed to simplify things but it hasn't.
This post was edited on 3/1 10:14 AM by SouthPork1

The major benefit I see is that when people get sick now they will be more likely to go to the doctor vs. when many would just tough it out for fear of raising their costs. Now you don't have to worry about that because there's nothing other than 'how old are you?' These are your options. Also, when I redid everything for my wife and daughter, they never asked anything about pre-existing conditions or even if my wife smoked or anything. It was just 'here's your plan.'

But I already had a cap 'a max out of pocket,' so that didn't apply to me.

There are some positives, no doubt. And I'm not blaming the governement for stepping in and saying 'this isn't right,' as much as I am for the healthcare system. They are abusing people because you have to pay if you want to stay alive.

My monthly cost will then go up to over $250 a month and my deductible will go from $1,000 to $2,500.

So in four years, my health insurance will go up $175 from where it started at $75 and my deductible will go up from $1,000 to $2,500. Awesome and fair.
Wish I could get coverage that cheap. Don't get me started.

Yes-while I'm not in biz, I pay $430/month for a family plan, with the same deductable and that includes dental. You need a new plan ! Trey. I have found the horror stories to be untrue by personal experience.

Obamacare applies to everyone. Medicaid expansion is done on a state by state basis.

Americans making under 400% of the federal poverty level can get a tax credit for their premiums. Those making less than 250% FPL can get subsidies to lower out-of-pocket costs. Those making less than 138% FPL (in some States) may be eligible for Medicaid.

The 400% poverty level is about 95K for a family of 4.

I understand being pissed about people that don't work living on the lamb. But the biggest point is that they do already. Federal law requires the receive stabilizing care for whatever awful ailment they've developed, and rates of diabetes and other chronic diseases are much higher among the poor, and that type of emergency care is the most expensive. The costs were being passed onto to consumers through higher hospital costs. So the idea is that you actually save the system money by getting these folks to go to the doctor before they are about to keel over and die.

Your absolutely right that the healthcare system is F-ed up, I blame the AMA and the hospitals, but thats just me. Had an opportunity to go fishing with a guy that used to be on the board of a non-profit hospital, he said he was pushed out for questioning the new crop of doctors that were only concerned about pushing new investment into those areas of the hospital system that were making the most money, not where their were shortages in the community.

This post was edited on 3/1 10:24 AM by jhskiier

This post was edited on 3/1 10:25 AM by jhskiier

Originally posted by pigboy7:
Yes-while I'm not in biz, I pay $430/month for a family plan, with the same deductable and that includes dental. You need a new plan ! Trey. I have found the horror stories to be untrue by personal experience.
How many people in your family? What is the deductible? After this year with Blue Cross it'll be $250 for the wife, $250 for me and $150 for my daughter, each having a $2,500 deductible. We're the highest sliver level.

Every situation is different. There are some situations where it has been beneficial and some where it is detrimental. The point is each person should be free to make their own choice and not be forced into a generic type plan that covers things they don't need or want in their plan. Insurance is about risk management and nothing else.

I own an alarm company with 38 employees in California. In the past, we could pretty much count on a 2 - 8% increase every year. We just met with the insurance guy Thursday and the cost is going up 29% this year. Pretty sweet.*

I blame lawyers. Everybody in health care fears them :) I wonder where we will get enough doctors.

This has more to do with all of you fat-ass, smoking, drinking morons than it does with your President! Sorry Trey, Education doesn't come cheap, ignorance apparently is free....

Originally posted by WhiskeyDrunk:
My solution is to make more money
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Actually you're wrong, it's the exact opposite.

Make less money and suck off the system.

It's the New America.

The level of health care in Australia is as good as anywhere and it is free for everybody.

You can go private if you want , but that basically gets you a nicer room. My dad had private insurance but still went public to get his Triple Bypass as the better heart surgeons are in the public system.

I lived in a town of 50,000 and the closet private hospital was 100km away in Rockhampton (although they have built one since I left though). Taxes on alcahol /ciggs and gas are higher though lol.

Originally posted by stl590:
This has more to do with all of you fat-ass, smoking, drinking morons than it does with your President! Sorry Trey, Education doesn't come cheap, ignorance apparently is free....
Partly. Part of it has to do with people in healthcare not out to help people but out to make themselves rich. It's capitalism I guess, but it doesn't seem right when you're talking about people living and dying.

But yes, since they changed everything to try to cheapen food and going to big farms instead of small farms, the cost of food has dropped dramatically and at the same time the health of people has also dropped dramatically. Earl Butz' failure.

Originally posted by stl590:
scared0016.r191677.gif

There's not much doubt about where we're headed....the link is to a video of Obama explaining what he sees as the future of healthcare in the country. And this is just straight up his words, no spin that I could see. Single provider...everyone in, nobody out.

Obama explains

I was raised in a single parent household in the 60's when the courts wouldn't make my sorry ass father pay his child support no matter how many judgements my mother got against him. I didn't think kids from my side of the tracks were allowed to go to college but fortunately I had some people that basically forced me to and showed us how to manage it because my family knew nothing about financial aid for college. If I can do it, that is improve myself in any way possible, then anyone else can if they want more out of life. I was raised in Hope, AR and most people I knew could afford insurance but they would rather spend their money on pleasure items than necessary items.

The government should not be forcing people to buy anything.

I agree the government could do something to prevent insurance companies from dropping people from coverage they have paid for and other things that hurt the people. But this president believes he can violate our constitution by saying he is doing it to help people. He may be helping some people by making it a law and then giving them the money to pay for it yet he can only do that by telling people like me that I don't deserve what I WORKED to obtain and now I not only have to pay more out of pocket for a worse insurance while others can get better for nothing out of pocket while doing virtually nothing for it other than voting in certain politicians. When they take all our money who will pay for those people's? So yes, this is about the president. I am a fat ass but I am not a drinker or smoker nor am I a moron you arrogant jack wagon. You know none of the people you just called morons which shows your lack of intelligence. I am ready to just give up and declare I deserve to live at the same level as our president. I would welcome the ability to take his vacations especially the 100 million dollar one to Africa plus allow my wife to wear $12,000 dresses and eat the expensive meals they live off of. If its good enough for them it should be good enough for me, especially if I could use my money for it.

Everyone can get free food. free housing, free obamacare. Why work?? Smoke dope!! live free . welcome everyone the the new Obama America. Redistribute the wealth. Anytime Arkansas can get "FREE" federal money take it . OH!! we have to pay federal taxes and the feds are borrowing it from China!! Pussycrats say take it anyway. Utopia!!!!!!!!! Horray.

Originally posted by jhskiier:
Not fun spending more money.

But....

1. You no longer face a cap on benefits, meaning if something awful happened and you needed 8 surgeries, you will no longer be screwed.

2. There IS a cap on out of pocket co-insurance costs now, meaning if you have 20% co-insurance in your plan and you have a 200,000 dollar hospital bill, you would have been on the hook for 20% of that. Those costs are now capped at 12k for a family and 6.7k for an individual.

3. Not saying this applied to you, but if your kid ended up with epilepsy or asthma, they would no longer be able to drop you from the roles when your policy expired.

There are a bunch of other things as well, but the basic point is that you aren't just paying for nothing. The cost increases are a result of increased protection, it is basically the cost of getting rid of all the provisions that screw people when they really need insurance the most.
No cap on benefits? Seriously??? You will only get surgeries and procedures that are deemed cost effective. That means the next time you get an artificial hip, it will be the cheaply made version. Plus your surgeon will not be choosing your surgery, the insurance company will be. Furthermore, insurance companies will always find a way NOT pay. Obamacare does nothing to change that. Its all a big scam. I know because I work in it.

It's a complicated issue, why prices are so high and continue to rise. I'm not totally happy with the ACA but it's a step in the right direction. Right now I'm out of network with my Arkansas BCBC plan. I'm staying on it as long as I can b\c of the increase in price to get a plan on the marketplace. Most people are good b\c they can still get coverage via an employer. I'll probably go that route eventually but not until I have to. I've always been able to get cheap single coverage. I knew I'd have to pay more when ACA passed and I was cool with that. My issue is I'm going to pay roughly 100-130 a month more for the same coverage but with higher deductibles, etc.

I pay $650 per month for a family of 4. That is eyes for me, dental and health for everyone. My firm is huge and we use BCBS Florida.

I dont think it's that bad.

Trey,
I went to a seminar where the speaker said a family of 4 making low 90,000's would still qualify for assistance.
Hope this helps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT