ADVERTISEMENT

Hold placed on UofA budget

Whatever your stance on the player's protests, it's free speech. A state senator has no right to try and use the budget or any other state mechanism to punish that free speech. If we only protected niceties, we wouldn't need the first amendment.

Whatever your stance on the player's protests, it's free speech. A state senator has no right to try and use the budget or any other state mechanism to punish that free speech. If we only protected niceties, we wouldn't need the first amendment.
I agree. I don't like the forum these players are using but I support their rights to protest. I wish they would find other ways to protest., though. Go and watch Hacksaw Ridge, or some other war movie, and you will see the reason it is wrong to not stand during the National Anthem or the presentation of our flag.

I agree. I don't like the forum these players are using but I support their rights to protest. I wish they would find other ways to protest., though. Go and watch Hacksaw Ridge, or some other war movie, and you will see the reason it is wrong to not stand during the National Anthem or the presentation of our flag.
On the other hand watch "13", Rosewood, Roots, Free State of Jones, 12 Years a Slave, or some other Historical movie and you could make a case the other way.

It will always be a double-edged sword.. There will always be two sides to every story. Yes you have the right to free speech. You also have to accept responsibility for that speech.. Just because you can say whatever you want doesn't mean there aren't consequences for those words.

I have the right to come in and tell my boss that hes an idiot and to F off. He also has the right to fire me.

Free Speech doesn't mean no consequences.
giphy.gif

This isn't about free speech. This is about the forum in which it was used. When those players put on the uniform with a Razorback on it, they are representing the University. Their actions reflect on the university as a whole not just each individual doing the "protesting". They have the right to protest, but that doesn't mean they can do it while representing the University and not suffer any consequences. If the players want to protest, they need to do it on their time, not while they are representing the University and the State of Arkansas.

This isn't about free speech. This is about the forum in which it was used. When those players put on the uniform with a Razorback on it, they are representing the University. Their actions reflect on the university as a whole not just each individual doing the "protesting". They have the right to protest, but that doesn't mean they can do it while representing the University and not suffer any consequences. If the players want to protest, they need to do it on their time, not while they are representing the University and the State of Arkansas.
They have the right to protest but it should be on your terms?

I have the right to come in and tell my boss that hes an idiot and to F off. He also has the right to fire me.

Free Speech doesn't mean no consequences.
Be careful!! Minniehog will call you a racist!

They have the right to protest but it should be on your terms?

They have the right to protest as well as the right to accept any and all consequences of that protest. There is no way they should be allowed to bring negative attention to the university while protesting. I have taken my daughter to multiple women's basketball games over the year, but I will never do it again. I will boo anytime they try to promote them at any other event that I am out. Call it my right to protest their foolish protest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT