ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Nutt AD?

RouxHawg

Prospect
Aug 11, 2013
Little Rock, AR
I'm so done with Jeff Long that Houston Nutt as AD sounds like a great idea. I'm ready for someone that gives a shit about the fans, the tradition, the state, and wants to win at all costs.

Bert runs the style of play I think we need to run to develop this program for the long term but he's in way over his head. Time to move on. He played Jeff with a cutie gram and Jeff played us.

The only thing I can look back on in Jeff's tenure that he has done that was great is hire Mike Anderson and any Joe would have done that and probably a year sooner.

Not sure. Not a completely crazy idea. I was thinking Ken Hatfield. But can either raise the $$$. They have the passion and JFB genes.

They don't need to be able to raise money... all the geniuses on this board will tell you they're Razorbacks and from the south. That's all it takes to win at Arkansas.

Reactions: HawgWild79
I'm so done with Jeff Long that Houston Nutt as AD sounds like a great idea. I'm ready for someone that gives a shit about the fans, the tradition, the state, and wants to win at all costs.

Bert runs the style of play I think we need to run to develop this program for the long term but he's in way over his head. Time to move on. He played Jeff with a cutie gram and Jeff played us.

The only thing I can look back on in Jeff's tenure that he has done that was great is hire Mike Anderson and any Joe would have done that and probably a year sooner.
These post get dumber by the day.

Hell no. We have the best AD in the country. Want a used car salesman? Go to Landers.
Man you are falling for Jeff longs marketing tactics if you think he is the best AD in the country. He is an athletic director for marketing the brand and making the school money but not about winning. The best AD's in the country have championship caliber ATHLETICS. Not a good APR or whatever some of y'all judge our AD on

Man you are falling for Jeff longs marketing tactics if you think he is the best AD in the country. He is an athletic director for marketing the brand and making the school money but not about winning. The best AD's in the country have championship caliber ATHLETICS. Not a good APR or whatever some of y'all judge our AD on
It's a business all schools care about is making money and you don't get fired when Arkansas has more money than it's ever had before.

Reactions: Paul Loyd and kj0N

You need to get a clue and get out of 1985.

The energy, excitement, and passion Houston Nutt brought into our football program in 1998 sounds pretty good right now. Sure, we all hate the Stoerner fumble...but looking back Coach's determination that first season rallied the state in a pretty incredible way and made Arkansans care about football, again. HDN's emotion was contagious and led to positive changes that can still be seem today.

Take a listen: https://m.soundcloud.com/1037thebuzz/houston-nutt-on-the-swnn-9-13-2017

Reactions: Mayday'90
Something tells me if you asked Arkansas fans who the best athletic directors in the country were, they would list the traditional football power schools with maybe a basketball power thrown in. In other words, they have no clue what they are complaining about - they just want to complain and want someone (or multiple people) to blame when their favorite element of the athletic department isn't living up to their unrealistic expectations.

HD is a great motivator, but I'm not sure I would want him managing 120 mil every year. Although, it would be interesting look at how many people work for Jeff in Athletic Dept. and what they do to see what he really does day to day.

Reactions: bholloway
Jeff Long hired Reggie Herring as the Head Football Coach of the University of Arkansas before Bobby Petrino jumped aboard minutes later. Whatever you think of him, that is 1000% accurate. I can only tell you that apathy has set in for me around the program. I am an alumni, a letterman, and a foundation member. Before someone accuses me of not being a fan, know that I used to cry when we lost SWC basketball games...which was rarely! I love this program, but I don't care anymore when we lose. Just wonder if I am a terrible fan, or if I am a microcosm of what's really going on out there.

Jeff Long hired Reggie Herring as the Head Football Coach of the University of Arkansas before Bobby Petrino jumped aboard minutes later. Whatever you think of him, that is 1000% accurate. I can only tell you that apathy has set in for me around the program. I am an alumni, a letterman, and a foundation member. Before someone accuses me of not being a fan, know that I used to cry when we lost SWC basketball games...which was rarely! I love this program, but I don't care anymore when we lose. Just wonder if I am a terrible fan, or if I am a microcosm of what's really going on out there.
So that interim to coach a bowl game is now being considered a head coach hire? Add that to the fact that JLS is now being considered a long-term head coaching hire by the long detractors and it makes it clear, you guys are just reaching out of desperation at this point

In today's world you have to have a person with business skills and a vision to be AD. If Long doesn't work out and you can find a former Razorback with the aforementioned attributes I'd be all for it. Nutt is not that guy.

So that interim to coach a bowl game is now being considered a head coach hire? Add that to the fact that JLS is now being considered a long-term head coaching hire by the long detractors and it makes it clear, you guys are just reaching out of desperation at this point
Who said anything about interim? It's a fact that Reggie Herring was minutes away from being introduced as the Head Football Coach of the University of Arkansas.

Who said anything about interim? It's a fact that Reggie Herring was minutes away from being introduced as the Head Football Coach of the University of Arkansas.
Herrings now the Line Backers coach for Denver Broncos. I'd like to have Herring back @ Ark in hopes of helping us transform into a tougher, meaner, more successful brand of player-team. The kind of team that nobody else wants to play! If HDN would help, hell grab him
as well.

Reactions: HogsBall78
No to what? You wanna keep CBB, guess you loved John l smith too? Wow!

No to Houston Nutt as AD.
He was a more successful coach than CBB, who brought a tougher brand of football and more recognition to this program than CBB. Only person better was Petrino. Sometime
you must take some bad medicines to get the good results "grasshopper"....

No he wasn't. Broyles hired Tommy Bowden from Clemson then he pulled a Dana Altman on us around a week after Nutt resigned,and then Petrino was hired before our Cotton bowl against Missouri, because Petrino was in the booth at the game being interviewed and a lot of fans wanted him to coach the game. Where do you get your information, from a cracker jacks box?

No he wasn't. Broyles hired Tommy Bowden from Clemson then he pulled a Dana Altman on us around a week after Nutt resigned,and then Petrino was hired before our Cotton bowl against Missouri, because Petrino was in the booth at the game being interviewed and a lot of fans wanted him to coach the game. Where do you get your information, from a cracker jacks box?
You are correct, with this exception, after Bowen was flirted with and turned us down, Musgraves was going to get the job, until Petrino told the Arkansas Foundation President, Trainer (I think) that he was serious about wanting the HC job at Arkansas....that's the best I can remember....

You are correct, with this exception, after Bowen was flirted with and turned us down, Musgraves was going to get the job, until Petrino

Oh I'm aware that Longs first #1 was Muschamp. But at the time Muschamp was his #1, Petrino was not available or interested in the job. Money was an issue with Petrino at the start. We only paid him something like 2.2m his first contract, but he was wanting I believe around 3m+ and at that time bigger/better hc's were being paid that. We almost didn't get him

Id take HDN over CBB today!!!!!!! Without Malzahn obviously. This program is sliding down the slippery slope. Jeff Long can't protect CBB against 7-5 again! Get over it

HDN's record over 10 seasons at Arkansas was 75-48.
That's an average of 7.5 wins a season, against 4.8 losses . . . which seems REALLY spot on to a 7-5 record. He needed a very uncommon 10-win season to even have a record that good, and it was the only time in his final 8 years he had team ranked at the end of the season.

HDN did more to lower the expectations of Arkansas fans than anyone in history.

No way AD. But I would take as the interim coach for the rest of the season.

Reactions: OPPHOG
Trey/Danny....can we start having Edge members take an IQ test before being allowed to post? Jeebuz, some of these posts....

Reactions: Lefty8

Ha. If I told you I was in the car with Reggie Herring when Jeff Long called him to say get to the Broils Complex you we are announcing you as the new Head Coach at X time would that even matter to you? And if I said that Bobby Petrino accepted the job between the time Long called Herring to offer the job and when Herring was to be announced as head coach would you really know that to be false? Or do you just know because it's what you know.

If everyone here wants to say I have no idea what I'm talking about than that's fine. I wasn't riding with Reggie when that call took place, but how would anyone here no I wasn't? It seems allot of people speak in absolutes about topics sometimes without having the goods. Just saying

If everyone here wants to say I have no idea what I'm talking about than that's fine. I wasn't riding with Reggie when that call took place, but how would anyone here no I wasn't? It seems allot of people speak in absolutes about topics sometimes without having the goods. Just saying
Welcome to a Message Board

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT