ADVERTISEMENT

How you boys durin?

Jan 11, 2002
Seriously, somebody give me a realistic expectatation of what kind of team Arkansas will have this year. What are your comforts about this team and what are your concerns?

Comforts
Offensive Line. Only had to replace one starter and they should be improved in pass protection this year.

Running Backs. Return the whole backfield from last year and with the returning O-Line should be great things from the running game.

Defensive Line. Solid line returning except needing someone to step up and take Flower's place on the end.

Tight End. I like Cook and Henry. Gragg should be a good addition this year but like with other recruits time and gameplay will tell, don't really know much about the rest of them though.

Concerns
Receivers. We didn't really have a go to wide receiver last year but I am hearing Hatcher is coming on in spring practices but not hearing much about the rest of them. The TEs will likely shoulder a good sized load of the passing game again this year.

Special Teams. We gave up a lot of return yardage in both KO and punt coverage last year and we need someone that could be a threat to go all the way as our own returners. Haven't heard much about how things are going in the kicking game, might get to see how our kickers are doing in the red and white game this weekend.

Wait and See
Quarterback. Brandon Allen is our only experienced QB and his play tends to be on the inconsistent side. Some games he looks like a world beater and others you would think he's a true freshman. Word is he has improved in practices from last year, hope that's true. Also hoping the O-Line can give him better protection and time to find open receivers

Defensive Backfield. A lack of depth hurt us last year with a large drop off between the starters and backups. Things should improve this year with more bodies from recruiting and a year's seasoning for last year's backups, but will have to see how things go in games.

Overall I'm expecting a better season this year than last, I can see us pulling out those oh so very close games that were just short of being wins last year and while I don't expect us to win the west I would only be a little surprised if they actually manage pull it off, but probably will be next year before something like that could be a realistic expectation.

Last edited:
Seriously, somebody give me a realistic expectatation of what kind of team Arkansas will have this year. What are your comforts about this team and what are your concerns?

Comforts are:

- Brandon Allen
- Returning two 1,000-yard backs
- The starting five offensive line
- Keon Hatcher, Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle as pass catchers
- Defensive line depth
- Brooks Ellis at LB
- Top three cornerbacks
- Talented incoming class filling out certain needs on 2-deep

Concerns are:

- Overall RB depth
- Second team OL featured 5 freshmen at one point this spring
- Still waiting on more consistency from select WRs
- LB depth (only had 5 scholly guys in spring; 2-3 more on the way this summer)
- Safety depth is improving but the 2s still needs to make more strides

Haven't seen enough of the kicking game to call it either way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT