ADVERTISEMENT

If we had not put the embargo on Cuba,

bobhawg

Starter
Oct 27, 2002
Castro would have been gone within five years I think. But we let his opposition come to the US and left him with people who supported him. Had we not forced the issue, I think all those people now living in South Florida would have overthrown him in Cuba. But we wasted 50 years for nothing.

The only way Fidel and his brother Roaul would have been gone in 5 years

would have been if JFK and his brother had been successful in assassinating them.

Tyrants leave office feet first. They never willingly step down. Roaul runs the military. The military was the only thing that could have overthrown Fidel so Fidel made sure that it's head was no threat to him.

The USSR finally fell when their military would no longer murder it's citizens. Cuba's military has never had that moment. They still murder citizens without any thought. Just like China's. Just like Iran's. Just like the Saudi's.

Re: The only way Fidel and his brother Roaul would have been gone in 5 years

I think JFK made a huge mistake when he withdrew the support for the Bay of Pigs invasion. If we had gone ahead and used force to support the invasion, Castro would have been eliminated. I do think the Cuban invaders were promised help that was withdrawn and who knows what caused us to back off. .

As an aside, I lived in South Florida for ten months in 1974 and saw Cubans virtually take over most of the area around the Miami airport. The main drag is now named Juan Bistia Boulevard and you'd better speak Spanish if you wish to talk to anyone in that area. So I never acquired a great desire to change things in Cuba. But I do think we failed to do anything right with our Cuban relations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT