ADVERTISEMENT

In Defense of Sam

gscottar

Letterman
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2004
Fayetteville, AR
I know the mood of the board is that Sam is trash and needs to go but let me offer an alternative take of why I don't think this is the time.

First, it seems to me that the margin of error between 9-4 and 6-6 is very small. We got the breaks in 2021 but did not in 2022. Perhaps the pendulum swings back in 2023.

We just finished paying the buyouts of Bert and Chad. Is this the right time for HY to go to the boosters for another buyout check?

I think a good comp for Sam in the SEC is Mark Stoops. Stoops was a career assistant coach who finally got a head coaching position of a school that was more known for basketball. He slowly and methodically built them up to be a consistent winner with the occasional challenge for a division title. It was not done overnight as he has been there 10 years. Now, I would like to think our football program has more potential than Kentucky but I do believe that Kentucky was wise to stick with him for the long haul instead of ping ponging back and forth between coaches like most programs do.

For Arkansas to succeed we need to consistently sign top 25 recruiting classes, stability, player development, culture, and stability. I think Sam can provide that. Do I think he will lead us to an SEC title? No, probably not but how many have we won in our 30 years in the league? I think the answer is zero.

Someone mentioned the other day that we now have the worst coach in the SEC West. It may appear that way on paper but are the other programs really that stable?

Saban: Well he is the GOAT and not going anywhere anytime soon. Enough said.

Kelly: He surprised me with how well he did this year. LSU will be hard to handle I admit.

Fisher: He has pretty much turned out to be an expensive joke.

Kiffin: He is the flashy guy who is now making $9M to win 8 games. Once they finally hit the tough part of their schedule they were exposed for what they are, which is just a slightly above average team. He will probably bail soon.

Leach: He has done a solid job but history says he will wear out his welcome. He just can't help himself and eventually his mouth or some kind of shenanigan will get the best of him. Kind of like Holtz here. The snazzy little one-liners were cute for awhile until they weren't.

Freeze: He will probably get a pass his first year but then the next time he loses four games they will try to run him off. Auburn has to be one of the most delusional self destructive programs in the country. The amount of money they are paying former coaches would fund several third world countries.

Again, I am not saying Sam is going to win a championship or even make us a 10 game winner. I do think he can right the ship and get us to the point that we are a much more attractive job the next time it comes open. Anyway, just my take.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News