ADVERTISEMENT

Football Looking back on Dan Enos’ eight games with Arkansas

jacksoncollier

Hawgbert Financial Expert
Staff
Dec 22, 2018
Little Rock, AR

Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman finally pulled the trigger and moved on from offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Sunday.

The move came after the Razorback offense managed just 200 total yards and three points in a 7-3 home loss to Mississippi State, which was the sixth straight for Arkansas, as the Hogs sit with a 2-6 overall record and an 0-5 record in conference play.

There was legitimate excitement when Pittman hired Enos to replace former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles, who took the same position at TCU after the 2022 season.

Enos and Pittman previously coached together at Arkansas under Bret Bielema, as the duo orchestrated one of the best offenses in program history in 2015. That year, the Razorbacks averaged 35.9 points per game, just outside of the top-25 nationally, while also producing four-plus NFL offensive linemen, a 1,500+ yard rusher in Alex Collins and a 3,400+ yard passer in Brandon Allen.

The optimism was well-placed, as fans thought Enos could improve returning quarterback KJ Jefferson's mechanics and intermediate throws, developing him into more of a pro-style quarterback.

Enos was the first — and seemingly only — call Pittman made after he learned Briles was heading for Fort Worth, which showed the confidence the Razorback head coach had in hiring his former boss from each man's first tenure in Fayetteville.

"I’ve had respect for Dan Enos for a long, long time," Pittman said when Enos was hired in January. "When I was here the first time, he was my boss and now I’m working with him in a different role. I think you hire good people that are confident in themselves, but yet confident in guys they’re working with, too."

There were critics, though, as fans on social media voiced their concerns over Enos' stops between his first and second stints at Arkansas. He was not retained when Arkansas hired Chad Morris, and spent time as an offensive analyst at Michigan before stopping at Alabama, Miami (FL) and Cincinnati.

CONTINUE READING HERE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News