ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Arkansas after one scrimmage

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
First of all, how many head coaches say something like, "We're a good football team, no ifs, ands or buts about it," after their first spring scrimmage? There's really not much more I can add to that when the head coach says it, but I'll try.

My overall opinion of Arkansas right now is that they're no longer learning how to become a good team. They're past that. They are a good team that's trying to take the next step and become a great team. If you want me to put a number on it, I think they're a 9-win type of team that's trying to become a 10 or 11-win type of team. And 9 wins today means a lot more than it did even a decade ago, IMO.

That being said, here's what I like and what I still want to see more of:

WHAT I LIKE:

- I like the depth at quarterback. I hate going back to last year, but it speaks volumes when you leave a broken Brandon Allen in a game instead of bringing in his brother. Give them the same situation today and Austin would be in the game, in my opinion. I had my doubts about Austin, but he seems to be coming along nicely at this stage. Is he an All-SEC type talent or does any one part of his game stand out? No, not to me, but he's becoming a much better distributor of the ball and it seems to be slowing down for him.

But I also like the two other young guys. Rafe Peavey's coming along, and I've always been a fan of how he throws it. It's just pretty to watch. What I liked on Saturday was how he used his feet, though. There was one time when he stepped aside to avoid a pass rusher and it was exactly the type of thing you want to start seeing him do at this stage. When he bounces out and runs around, he and Brandon have the most ability to make something happen in that department.

Ty Storey's gonna be a good one. I say that like it's breaking news, but going from Charleston to SEC ball is tough, and I just kind of had a feeling that, although I definitely loved him as a prospect, that he might go out there and struggle. He hasn't struggled at all, from what I've seen. I'm no QB expert but I do like how he just kind of fits in and looks the part. When you see a true freshman who does that this early, it's usually a sign that very good things are going to come. I won't bet against him being a very good one here.

- I like JoJo Robinson a lot. For months we've heard both from coaches in interviews and by way of sources in off-record conversations that he's just on a different level. We saw them Tuesday and again on Saturday and I was more than impressed on both days. His 16-yard end-around on Saturday is the kind of thing Arkansas needs. He made two or three guys miss on that one carry. In the passing game, he gets open because he's got more shake than anyone else at the position. He did have a drop that I didn't like, but it's very easy to see why they're so high on him and have been, like I said, for months.

- I also like Eric Hawkins, but I'm tempering my expectations until August. He made some big plays last spring and the spring before that, so I want to see it this fall before I fall in love.

- I love -- not like -- I love the starting offensive line. Pittman told me in an interview on Thursday that they're "average, probably even below average" right now, and I'm sure that's the case in his eyes or he wouldn't have said it. But in my eyes, once he gets them all polished up, it's hard to imagine there being 2-3 better lines in the SEC. I love that they switched the tackles, took full-time center off of Frank's plate and now have a much different-looking Sebastian Tretola. I've been very impressed with Zach Rogers at center, but I do think the plan is to redshirt him even though you'll see him travel with the team and possibly be listed on the 2-deep. If Mitch Smothers were to go down, I think you'd see Frank slide over and then they'd figure out what to do at RG. That may be a case where Denver goes back to RG, Skipper to LT, and Wallace steps in at RT. Of course, knocking on wood that nothing happens to Mitch, but Pittman did emphasize to me that "(Wallace) will play this year."

- I like Jeremiah Ledbetter and Hjalte Froholdt a lot. Prior to my interview with E.K. Franks Sunday evening, we were just small-talking and those two were even the first names out of his mouth. The staff loves their potential. You look up on one play and they're getting knocked around by one of the big offensive linemen, but the next play they're blowing by him. Those two look like they've really got a chance.

- I like what I saw out of Randy Ramsey on Saturday. Bret mentioned it in his press conference and he was right about Randy. I made it a point to watch him when I could Saturday and he was always around the ball. If he'll stay on course, he'll probably crack the starting role at some point in the near future. He's just very talented for a 6-4, 220-pound guy. Brooks Ellis is set for a really big year, IMO.

- I like what I've seen from two DBs in particular: D.J. Dean and Santos Ramirez. I've watched them closely and they've been impressive. Ramirez hit someone the other day (the defense had given up about 15 yards or so on the play, but the lick was a good one) that made me think, "We haven't seen a lot of that from an Arkansas safety in a while, outside of a couple of big hits from Rohan here and there." It'd be nice if he kept coming along. That secondary's got some real talent now, with Gaines, Liddell, Dean, Collins, Toliver, Ramirez, and then you look ahead to guys like Willie Sykes and Nate Dalton joining them, that's a good group this year, IMO.

WHAT I WANT TO SEE MORE OF:

- Depth at running back is a little bit worrisome right now. Knocking on wood again, but what if something happens to Williams or Collins? Rawleigh Williams is a guy that I think more people should be excited about and will be a good back here, but probably not a dominant guy. My "what I want to see more of" on this one really comes down to recruiting, and I really want to see three in this year's class. Also, I think they get Devin White now, for what it's worth. T.J. Hammonds is going to get a strong look at RB at Arkansas, as well.

- We know what they've got with Keon Hatcher, Jared Cornelius, Hunter Henry, and I'll even step out now and say JoJo Robinson as receivers, but I'd like to see Jeremy Sprinkle continue to come on, a steady Drew Morgan and/or Duwop Mitchell, and then you add a Dominique Reed to the mix. That'd give them a whole bunch of guys.

- I want to see more of the kicking game. We really haven't gotten a lot of looks at that yet, so I don't feel comfortable saying one way or the other.

- I want to see Deatrich Wise keep coming and become the player that I think he is. At one point Saturday, Trey leaned over and said, "Man, I've been watching Deatrich and he's been very good." I was busy charting stats so I didn't notice what he was talking about until after he mentioned it, but Deatrich was handling people from what I saw. He's always been one of my favorites and I'm hoping he'll have a big season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News