ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michael Sam could take "hero" lessons from this man

i agree hogminer. espn has become just like the national enquirer. i'd probably be considered a liberal on this board because i don't really care either way about a person's sexuality. but this is out of control. he might even be on Oprah. just play football dude.

a lot of the players come from rough backgrounds and get to the draft showing off their bling and that seems to be a topic of discussion too. i watched most of the draft & didn't hear about Villanueva's story. it's pathetic

It would have been a nice story to run during day 3 of the draft. I understand the selling point of the gay issue but at least infuse a little real heroism if its available.

very true

every year when the season ends some story comes out that dominates the sports world. what's the story gonna be next year? i was freakin pissed last year about the combine. manti teo & his dumb @$$ decided to do his first press conference at the combine. the combine? come on! it's not supposed to be about 1 player. the press conference was during the tight end competition & chris gragg was killing it. but no video, not one mention of him at all. stupid mike mayock and his love fest for notre dame kept talking about the nd tight end. did you know that mike mayock only had a 5% accuracy rate on his predictions this year? and that is a "typical" rate? omg

sorry for the rant- having a not so good morning
uzi.r191677.gif

That's an awesome story.

However, I don't see the need to tear down Michael Sam in order to recognize this man's accomplishments.

Originally posted by Hogswell Hogs:
That's an awesome story.

However, I don't see the need to tear down Michael Sam in order to recognize this man's accomplishments.
Wait, who is tearing down Michael Sam?

I will be interested to see how this documentary that Oprah is doing on Sam goes. Apparently the Rams knew nothing about it. Given the fact that he's a 7th round pick DE on a team loaded with pass rushers I would think this could be a distraction to him while trying to make the team. Time will tell I suppose.

I think they're both good stories. Michael Sam being a big deal will make the next gay athlete less of a big deal, so it's sort of a pay me now or pay me later sort of thing.

The Villanueva story is pretty cool though. An offensive tackle as a junior, a wide receiver as a senior, four years of service and now he's a defensive end. Pretty crazy. Plus, he's 6'9. Seems like a great pick up.

Could not agree more Hogminer. Hard to believe that story wasnt a huge one.

Originally posted by J-Fox:
I will be interested to see how this documentary that Oprah is doing on Sam goes. Apparently the Rams knew nothing about it. Given the fact that he's a 7th round pick DE on a team loaded with pass rushers I would think this could be a distraction to him while trying to make the team. Time will tell I suppose.
exactly. it has to be a distraction. talk about aj mccarron is that teams were not impressed with his reality show venture with his hotty katherine webb. these players haven't "made it" yet. they need to focus on their game.

i wish teams would ban their newbies from any press that isn't team oriented

Originally posted by Chauvinist Pig:
That's an awesome story.

Absolutely not worth it. Even if you are being fair and just saying this would have been a nice story in a 3 DAY draft you will get crucified by the minority.

Originally posted by gbbaber:
I think they're both good stories. Michael Sam being a big deal will make the next gay athlete less of a big deal, so it's sort of a pay me now or pay me later sort of thing.

The Villanueva story is pretty cool though. An offensive tackle as a junior, a wide receiver as a senior, four years of service and now he's a defensive end. Pretty crazy. Plus, he's 6'9. Seems like a great pick up.
Interesting train of thought, I hadn't thought about it that way.

As far as both good stories? I'm choosing the one on the West Point Graduate with a Bronze Star over the other. I guess the media doesn't see it the way I do.

Originally posted by gbbaber:

I said this a while back and got screamed at. If America goes that way then so be it.

The next one will receive less attention and the next less and so on and so forth. Then the next big story comes along , incest/robbing from the rich or what the hell ever comes up next will fuel the media.

The P.C. crowd who are currently 12y/o will be adults and support things that the current P.C. crowds would find bad.

It is change and I guess it really goes on over here very fast (one generation) . Way to go media and social media,

ESPN ran the story on the front page when the kid signed, which was about two months ago. Was not pertinent to the draft coverage.

Also, the Oprah thing is horrible, but given that the kid is a 7th round draft pick, it is a smart move to cash in now in case he isn't successful in the nfl. There will be no production presence at the teams facility, so it's basically doing interviews when the guy gets home.

Jeremy Lin famously turned down a bunch of endorsement and promotional deals during the height of the linsanity thing and missed out on a lot of money...
This post was edited on 5/16 1:56 PM by jhskiier

I too am worried about where this is headed. I think in 20 or 25 years we will live in a country where it is seen as a negative to be straight. I think that all the gay people are going to be in charge because the liberal media won't stop until they are. They will outlaw straight marriage unless it is to a relative. I propose we give all the gay people their own state and get this sorted out before it is too late. They can all live there and have their own TV shows and their own sports teams etc. I'll draw up the petition.

I agree, this guy needs to be honored as much as anybody, but there's no need to say that Sam should take "hero" lessons. It's a lifestyle choice that he has, plain and simple. Whether you, me or Jack agrees with it or not shouldn't undermine the fact that he has the right to live his life as he chooses, just like you and me.

It's not Sam's fault that his declaration has garnered so much attention. IMO, it's moreso society's inability to accept differences among others that has generated the hoopla.

It's a lifestyle choice, nothing more, nothing less.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Chauvinist Pig:
That's an awesome story.

I think the title of this thread could be viewed as "tearing down Michael Sam". As in suggesting he needs to take hero lessons. It's not Michael Sam's fault the media is all over him and not over the Ranger. Blame the media, blame ESPN...but you probably shouldn't blame Sam. He didn't do it.

Hey I thought theses issues were not going to be talked about on this site. No homosexual stuff. No political stuff. No religion
stuff. Believe Barack Obama and the gay homosexual Hollywood types or God and Billy Graham. Easy choice.

Originally posted by hpharri1994:
I too am worried about where this is headed. I think in 20 or 25 years we will live in a country where it is seen as a negative to be straight. I think that all the gay people are going to be in charge because the liberal media won't stop until they are. They will outlaw straight marriage unless it is to a relative. I propose we give all the gay people their own state and get this sorted out before it is too late. They can all live there and have their own TV shows and their own sports teams etc. I'll draw up the petition.
Huh? This is a bizarre post.

Homosexuals make up about 6% of the population and 95% of the headlines on ESPN, MSNBC, CNN. Go figure.

Originally posted by 479deerhunter:

Homosexuals make up about 6% of the population and 95% of the headlines on ESPN, MSNBC, CNN. Go figure.
95%?

Hey I thought theses issues were not going to be talked about on this site. No homosexual stuff. No political stuff. No religion
stuff. Believe Barack Obama and the gay homosexual Hollywood types or God and Billy Graham. Easy choice.
I would pay 5X as much to be a member here if there were a minimum IQ requirement to post.

Originally posted by hpharri1994:

I would pay 5X as much to be a member here if there were a minimum IQ requirement to post.
It would suck for Trey and Danny when they were getting zero revenue and only had each other to talk to

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT