ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stephen A. Smith/First Take

OPPHOG

Starter
Oct 23, 2006
ESPN First take

Smith just said the only reason Cutler got the job at Miami was because of White Privileged America.
Seriously how does he get away with saying that? How doe his employer allow that?
I noticed the other people on the show were actually taken back by it with their facial expressions, and they got off the subject quick and went to a commercial. I am sure this will be all over the news now.

Curious if anyone else saw it.

ESPN First take

Smith just said the only reason Cutler got the job at Miami was because of White Privileged America.
Seriously how does he get away with saying that? How doe his employer allow that?
I noticed the other people on the show were actually taken back by it with their facial expressions, and they got off the subject quick and went to a commercial. I am sure this will be all over the news now.

You should look at expanding your TV subscription to more than one channel...

Reactions: Mr.Razorback
ESPN First take

I've quit watching ESPN shows all together bc of this exact narrative.

I am really close to ending my life long run, with ESPN, except for ball games. What he said was really out of line and just wrong on a bunch of levels.
NBC Sports/The Dan Patrick Show

The Kaepernick issue is a very interesting one socially, so of course ESPN and FS1 have run it into the ground, backed over it, and then continue to do a burnouts on it.

It's my opinion that owners just don't want to deal with the media headache that comes with Kaepernick and also the potential revenue loss, it just doesn't equal out to the amount of games he might win you compare it to the Cutler's of the world. What's the difference between going 2-14 vs 5-11 when your franchise is under constant scrutiny and losing money at the same time. Not to mention you get a higher draft pick for 2-14.

Stephen got what he was looking for a reaction he's just trolling and you took the bait you guys take tv shows way too serous.
Trolling is one thing, He crossed the Line and it was evident about the look on the other peoples faces, especially Will Cain's and how they changed subject and went to commercial, and no one else made a comment, they were all just kind of looking at each other.

SPIKE LEE TO RALLY FOR COLIN KAEPERNICK... at NFL HQ

I just don't understand getting all upset about what a guy like Smith or Bayless or any of those goofballs say. He's just trying to get a rise out of you and obviously it worked.

Reactions: Hogaudacious
ESPN First take

I didn't see it but not surprised. I actually like Stephen A and think he is funny and doesn't take himself too seriously vs. a Bomani Jones.

Ironically, I agree with him. Personally, I compare Kap to Tebow. If your talent is world class then your politics and strong personal opinions are overlooked. But, let's be honest: there are a lot of white privileged americans and they go to games, watch games, and buy a lot of sponsors products. And, they don't like to see their favorite guys knelling during the national anthem. Not good for business when Kap knells and 10 other guys join him. Might be right but there will be a LOT of white and black American's who don't like it and that hurts business. And you just aren't going to take that risk for a backup.

From a social perspective I understand what Kap is doing. I don't agree with it personally but it doesn't offend me. I am from a military family and we stand with our hands over our hearts. My youngest is probably going to attend the Naval Academy God willing. But others don't and that's up to them. But, don't cry for Kap now that the system he is bucking isn't supporting him.

JMO

ESPN is hell bent on getting Kap on a roster. What's funny is Bomani Jones said yesterday that Miami is the one team in NFL who can't sign Kap and it's understandable (Cuban influence, apparently they hate that he kneeled, escape from Castro, etc).

I really hate espn and their ignorant bias.

Reactions: DaxC
ESPN is hell bent on getting Kap on a roster. What's funny is Bomani Jones said yesterday that Miami is the one team in NFL who can't sign Kap and it's understandable (Cuban influence, apparently they hate that he kneeled, escape from Castro, etc).

I really hate espn and their ignorant bias.
Reality sucks!

I didn't see it but not surprised. I actually like Stephen A and think he is funny and doesn't take himself too seriously vs. a Bomani Jones.

Ironically, I agree with him. Personally, I compare Kap to Tebow. If your talent is world class then your politics and strong personal opinions are overlooked. But, let's be honest: there are a lot of white privileged americans and they go to games, watch games, and buy a lot of sponsors products. And, they don't like to see their favorite guys knelling during the national anthem. Not good for business when Kap knells and 10 other guys join him. Might be right but there will be a LOT of white and black American's who don't like it and that hurts business. And you just aren't going to take that risk for a backup.

From a social perspective I understand what Kap is doing. I don't agree with it personally but it doesn't offend me. I am from a military family and we stand with our hands over our hearts. My youngest is probably going to attend the Naval Academy God willing. But others don't and that's up to them. But, don't cry for Kap now that the system he is bucking isn't supporting him.

JMO

WTF is white privilege? You mean making sacrifices to better yourself, get an education to provide a better life for yourself? Not depending on the government? Paying to much in taxes to support bums? Tell me about my white privaledge. Tell me about my dads white privilege, who was one of 9 kids in the NE Arkansas picking cotton from the time he could walk, having meals without meat cause they were so poor. Going into the Air Force so he could go to college on the GI Bill. Worked through college so he could send money to his parents to pay bills and my grandmother could get her hair done once a month. My dad became a hospital CEO by hard work, not this imaginary snow flake "white privilege".

Hell I've gotten turned down for promotions with my last company cause I was white. Yeah, I have white privilege.

Don't mean to aim that towards you but this whole white privilege thing is stupid and people just throw it out there carelessly and have no idea what they're talking about. It's like a "hot take" thing.

I just don't understand getting all upset about what a guy like Smith or Bayless or any of those goofballs say. He's just trying to get a rise out of you and obviously it worked.

I don't care really...My issue is what can and can't be said...depending on who you are

These guys are shock jocks and the practice of "race baiting" is common. These type of comments are strategic and elicit your type of reaction. At the end of the day, your talking about the shock jock, his show and his network; which is exactly what they want.

WTF is white privilege? You mean making sacrifices to better yourself, get an education to provide a better life for yourself? Not depending on the government? Paying to much in taxes to support bums? Tell me about my white privaledge. Tell me about my dads white privilege, who was one of 9 kids in the NE Arkansas picking cotton from the time he could walk, having meals without meat cause they were so poor. Going into the Air Force so he could go to college on the GI Bill. Worked through college so he could send money to his parents to pay bills and my grandmother could get her hair done once a month. My dad became a hospital CEO by hard work, not this imaginary snow flake "white privilege".

Hell I've gotten turned down for promotions with my last company cause I was white. Yeah, I have white privilege.

Don't mean to aim that towards you but this whole white privilege thing is stupid and people just throw it out there carelessly and have no idea what they're talking about. It's like a "hot take" thing.

The world's definitely not perfect and racism does still exist, unfortunately. With that said, like you, I don't like it being forgone conclusions/assumed that a certain race or religion all share the same thoughts, have the same upbringing and etc.

There are bad people in the world of all skin colors and really good people of all skin colors. I try to associate myself with good people, regardless of their skin color and enjoy their company when we all come together.

Reactions: Mass31
There are two types of idiots on white priv.

#1: Those that use it to explain everything.
#2: Those that deny it exists or discount it at every opportunity.

The Kap issue is one where I think he has a point. A marginal point, but a point. As an owner, I would rather have kap throwing than Cutler. Cutler has been terrible for 5 years. Kap has at least been average.

It's easier to be white in this country than non-white. Shirley you accept that?

It's easier to be white in this country than non-white. Shirley you accept that?
Seriously? This is not the 1950's / Everyone has the same opportunities. I think the easier being White thing went out the window in the 70's and 80's, Education is behind everything of all races problems. It is a case of being educated and not being educated is the problem with America, and those that want to work and those that choose not to or don't want to.

The problem with Kap, is he is more worried about publicity than focusing on his team. He doesn't care what it does to his teammates. He only cares about making a statement. Also coming from him is ridiculous. He is a poseur. He grew up adopted in a upper middle class white family. He knows more about privledge than millions of poor people of all backgrounds. He is a snowflake millennial that decided he wanted to grow a Afro and fight for a cause he knows little about.

Dolphins = Staff has familiarity w/Cutler and Cutler doesn't wear Castro t-shirts. Pretty simple to put 2 and 2 together.

Kap = I am disappointed that the NFL owner's have seemed to all of taken the easy road in terms of whether or not to take some heat for signing a guy that is easily better than 1/2 or more of the QB's in the NFL (I am talking top 30 type guy, so counting back-up's).

Yes, he picked a very poor way to go about bringing attention to his cause/concerns. Yes, it is a business and the owners have every right to not sign him. Yes, if Kap is going to be a voice for social ill's he should educate himself more on those ill's first. With all this said, Adam Jones, Mike Vick, Greg Ellis and countless other pieces of shit have gotten second chances in the NFL after committing much worse offenses than Kap did.

So, for those of you that don't see the racial undertones with Kap, I don't know what to tell you. He isn't on an NFL roster because white season ticket holders are more pissed off about him disrespecting the flag and police than they are Adam Jones ordering hits on people, Greg Ellis and multiple others beating women, Mike Vick's absurd cruelty to animals, and on and on.

The power of the almighty dollar, and the owners and sponsors of the NFL are listening.
Sign of the times with the media constantly pitting us all against one another. Polarizing place in history we currently occupy.

Reactions: gbbaber
Dolphins = Staff has familiarity w/Cutler and Cutler doesn't wear Castro t-shirts. Pretty simple to put 2 and 2 together.

Kap = I am disappointed that the NFL owner's have seemed to all of taken the easy road in terms of whether or not to take some heat for signing a guy that is easily better than 1/2 or more of the QB's in the NFL (I am talking top 30 type guy, so counting back-up's).

Yes, he picked a very poor way to go about bringing attention to his cause/concerns. Yes, it is a business and the owners have every right to not sign him. Yes, if Kap is going to be a voice for social ill's he should educate himself more on those ill's first. With all this said, Adam Jones, Mike Vick, Greg Ellis and countless other pieces of shit have gotten second chances in the NFL after committing much worse offenses than Kap did.

So, for those of you that don't see the racial undertones with Kap, I don't know what to tell you. He isn't on an NFL roster because white season ticket holders are more pissed off about him disrespecting the flag and police than they are Adam Jones ordering hits on people, Greg Ellis and multiple others beating women, Mike Vick's absurd cruelty to animals, and on and on.

The power of the almighty dollar, and the owners and sponsors of the NFL are listening.
Sign of the times with the media constantly pitting us all against one another. Polarizing place in history we currently occupy.

To me it's pretty simple: What are the pros and cons of signing him over a guy like Cutler?

Pros- May win a game or two more during the season (lets remember, Kap is a decent QB, but he's not in the upper echelon).

Cons- Loss of revenue, scrutinized to no end by the media, anger your fan base, loose sponsors (military is a huge NFL sponsor). Also, by not winning those extra couple of games you get a higher draft pick, which could be used for a top tier QB.

You are looking at this like a fan would and that's OK, but that's not how NFL owners will look at this. It makes no sense for an NFL owner to take on that type of heat without the possibility of a great return on the investment, which he wouldn't be. The racial bias argument is for the birds, from a business standpoint Kap has made it were NFL owners would be crazy to pick him up.

To me it's pretty simple: What are the pros and cons of signing him over a guy like Cutler?

Pros- May win a game or two more during the season (lets remember, Kap is a decent QB, but he's not in the upper echelon).

Cons- Loss of revenue, scrutinized to no end by the media, anger your fan base, loose sponsors (military is a huge NFL sponsor). Also, by not winning those extra couple of games you get a higher draft pick, which could be used for a top tier QB.

You are looking at this like a fan would and that's OK, but that's not how NFL owners will look at this. It makes no sense for an NFL owner to take on that type of heat without the possibility of a great return on the investment, which he wouldn't be. The racial bias argument is for the birds, from a business standpoint Kap has made it were NFL owners would be crazy to pick him up.
The fans are the reason Kap isn't in the league. The owners and the sponsors are scared of losing revenue if they sign him due to his links with the BLM movement and such. This is all about race.

Who is going to help you win more games? Adam Jones or Kap? Who is the worst person/guilty of the worst offensives to society and others?

The fans are the reason Kap isn't in the league. The owners and the sponsors are scared of losing revenue if they sign him due to his links with the BLM movement and such. This is all about race.

Who is going to help you win more games? Adam Jones or Kap? Who is the worst person/guilty of the worst offensives to society and others?

It's simple economics, like you said owners are afraid sponsors and fans will bail, thus they lose money. I don't know about you, but I tend to steer clear of things that will will obviously lose me money. What is the upside of Kap, he wins you a couple more games, maybe? Adam Jones is a shit head and should be out of the league, but he's not, why? Because people are unaware him and probably don't even notice he's on the roster. Kap on the other hand is known by everyone in the NFL and around the country, sucks for him, but he put himself out there, now he has to face the consequences.

In fairness, I have no problem with what he did, but I look at this from a business perspective and can completely understand why NFL teams aren't willing to risk their financial situation for a guy that may help win a game or two.

It's simple economics, like you said owners are afraid sponsors and fans will bail, thus they lose money. I don't know about you, but I tend to steer clear of things that will will obviously lose me money. What is the upside of Kap, he wins you a couple more games, maybe? Adam Jones is a shit head and should be out of the league, but he's not, why? Because people are unaware him and probably don't even notice he's on the roster. Kap on the other hand is known by everyone in the NFL and around the country, sucks for him, but he put himself out there, now he has to face the consequences.

In fairness, I have no problem with what he did, but I look at this from a business perspective and can completely understand why NFL teams aren't willing to risk their financial situation for a guy that may help win a game or two.
Where did I say it wasn't the owners right to do so?

We are both saying the same thing here, I am just going a step further in identifying the root cause.

Most NFL fans I know are very aware of Pac Man Jones off the field issues, yet not one that I know was so upset by them that they took to social media or threatened to quit watching the NFL when he continued showing up on NFL rosters.

Compare that to Kap. Most of the people I talk to about him say they hate he disrespected the military. They are completely unaware of his comments supporting our military and the things he really was (poorly) trying to bring light too. When you explain it to them, still don't matter. He is playing the race card and what does he know about oppression with his big contract and he should of never took a knee and etc/etc.

My 2 cents watching this all unfurl. I think it bothers me mostly because I see it as a reflection of us as a society as a whole. Rape/battery/murder/animal cruelty = ok. Kneel during the flag to protest perceived police brutality in the black community = not ok. Murica'...

There are two types of idiots on white priv.

#1: Those that use it to explain everything.
#2: Those that deny it exists or discount it at every opportunity.

The Kap issue is one where I think he has a point. A marginal point, but a point. As an owner, I would rather have kap throwing than Cutler. Cutler has been terrible for 5 years. Kap has at least been average.

By many metrics, Asians do better than whites. Is their Asian Privledge?

By many standards, such as family income, Nigerian-Americans do better than whites. Is their a Nigerian privledge also?

90+% of all people in prison are male. Obviously evidence of female privledge.

Seriously? This is not the 1950's / Everyone has the same opportunities. I think the easier being White thing went out the window in the 70's and 80's, Education is behind everything of all races problems. It is a case of being educated and not being educated is the problem with America, and those that want to work and those that choose not to or don't want to.

And those that feel entitled because they don't know better.

By many metrics, Asians do better than whites. Is their Asian Privledge?

By many standards, such as family income, Nigerian-Americans do better than whites. Is their a Nigerian privledge also?

90+% of all people in prison are male. Obviously evidence of female privledge.

Does any of this prove or disprove white privilege?

Look. I have been discriminated against because I am white. I have also seen discrimination against those who are not white. I have served on search committees bias both ways. There is racism on both sides. But white priv is not the same as racism. It is a condition of being, not an aggression.

Take this for instance:
When was the last time you told your son to never keep his hands in his pockets when walking through a neighborhood?

When was the last time you told your son to not wear his hoodie-up at night, no matter how cold, so that people did not see him as "suspicious?"

If you had the choice of having a black son or a white son, what would you choose and why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT