ADVERTISEMENT

This team isn't talented enough for some of you...

RazorAg

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2003
...and your expectations of play. At this point, there are no surprises. So, why do we see all of these "we should" statements? We should've beat them by 15. We should've out-rebounded them. We should've done this or done that (relating to fundamentals and execution).

The great thing about this system is that it can lead to wins despite some talent and traditional execution differential. Mike had the APR to handcuff him and he's missed on a handful of players, and that has affected the current make-up of this team. Our guard play is below average for high majors, especially a top 25, 27 win team. Our overall talent is still not where it can be under Mike, which really affects us since we rely on playing 10+ players. Offensively, there isn't great skill on this team. Defensively, there isn't great quickness and instinct on this team.

But....27 wins and the round of 32.

We have won this much b/c of our style, our grit, our effort, two all-league players, some role players that have flashed here and there, and above all, our resiliency.

That above = not pretty. But, like I said in another post, we continue to add W's and have achieved the 6th most wins in program history. That doesn't mean that you have to prefer the brand of basketball. It's ok to admit that it's been hard to enjoy the success this season. Just realize that we are what we are at this point, and we shouldn't expect consistent, great play. No need to post all of the "we should be's". It's hard. I'm with some of you - the lack of execution drives me crazy. But, that's why you've seen the "bottom line" posts from me lately instead of the X's and O's and execution critique posts you saw from me much more earlier in the season...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News