ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday's Notes (Updated: 8:30 p.m.)

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
RELATED CONTENT

What would an early signing period mean for Arkansas?

STATE OF THE PROGRAM: Razorback Football in 2017

Arkansas seeking strong defensive finish in 2017

The NCAA's 17-day contact period begins at 12:01 a.m. and the Hogs are hitting the road.

I'll post any notable recruiting updates for Thursday in this thread. Here are some notes to get us started:

--- As reported earlier this week, heavily-recruited defensive back Kamren Curl of Muskogee (Okla.) will have Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema and Paul Rhoads in his home Thursday evening. The Hogs wanted Curl's last visit, so he changed his official visit schedule and will be in Fayetteville on the weekend of the 27th.

--- Four-star defensive back Brad Stewart of New Orleans (La.) McDonough 35 will have Arkansas assistant Michael Smith in his home on Thursday, according to Stewart's mother. Stewart hasn't yet finalized his Arkansas official visit date.

--- While in the area, Smith is also expected to see Arkansas commit Josh Paul of New Orleans (La.) De La Salle, as well as check on Paul's younger teammate, 2018 safety Lance Robinson. Robinson doesn't have any offers but is hoping for one from the Razorbacks.

I would assume Smith will also be checking in with D-line commit Troy James, but I haven't confirmed that.

--- A new name to know: JUCO defensive end Michael Epley (6-3, 255) of Tyler J.C. in Texas tells me he will welcome Bielema for an in-home visit this Sunday.

Epley was a first-team All-Conference player and finished the 2016 season with 12.5 sacks, which ranked fifth in the nation in JUCO ball. The Leander (Texas) native signed with SMU in 2014 and redshirted in his first season. He played in four games in 2015 following the coaching change from June Jones to Chad Morris and then transferred to Tyler J.C. in the spring of 2016.

For the year, Epley finished with 85 tackles, 23 for loss, 12.5 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and an interception.

My understanding is that Epley can enroll at midterm, but I don't know enough about where things stand to say I'm certain on that. But if he's hosting Bielema on Sunday, it's a name to know now.

--- Another JUCO defensive line name that I've sat on for a couple of weeks now is Gabe Richardson of Hutchinson C.C. in Kansas. I can go ahead with his name after speaking with him Wednesday night and report that he spoke with both Bielema and Rory Segrest just before I heard from him. Richardson said Bielema told him he'd probably be by next week to see him.

Richardson, 6-4, 250, is another guy that falls in line with what you'd want on the edge in a 3-4. He had 60 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 6 sacks in 2016. He is a native of Decatur (Ga.).

--- Arkansas has a few other defensive line names that I'll hold off on until I get the green light from one end or the other. Of those, I know of one defensive tackle that I'll be keeping a close watch on and will report what I can, when I can.

--- Running back Maleek Williams has already arrived at Arkansas, and linebacker (and FAA signee) Kyrei Fisher says he'll be here on Friday.

--- Cornerback and FAA signee Korey Hernandez will arrive in Fayetteville for his official visit at around 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon. He and his family will stay until Saturday, drive back to Georgia, and then Korey will fly back to Fayetteville on Monday to start school next week.

--- Wide receiver commit Maleek Barkley of Austin (Texas) Lake Travis said Bielema and Michael Smith will see him on Sunday, as well.

--- Running back pledge Chase Hayden of Germantown (Tenn.) St. George's says he'll welcome Arkansas' staff to Memphis on Saturday.

--- Cornerback commit Jarques McClellion of Delray Beach (Fla.) American Heritage said he spoke with Bielema and the head man told him he's coming down "soon."

--- I didn't forget four-star cornerback Chevin Calloway of Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne. He's taking some kind of senior trip this week and won't be doing in-home visits with anyone until he returns home. You can bet Arkansas will be seeing him soon.

10:38 Update:

--- Koilan Jackson says Bielema, Barry Lunney Jr. and Michael Smith will see him tomorrow.

11:02 Update:

--- Brad Stewart is called a cornerback in most places, but he's seen as strictly a safety by Arkansas' staff. Had that question a couple of times and wanted to clarify.

12:15 Update:

--- Arkansas has offered 2018 DB Joe Foucha of New Orleans McDonough 35.

5:26 Update:

--- Can confirm Malik Young, who was visited by Bielema this morning, plans to be here for an official next weekend (20th).

Also, EK Franks is on the road recruiting, presumably in place of Robb Smith. You're allowed to fill in like that if you're missing a staff member.

5:32 Update:

--- Arkansas' in-home with Curl will begin at 7 p.m.

6:12 Update:

--- Brad Stewart's mother tells me they had a great in-home visit with Michael Smith. As of now they're looking at a possible midweek visit, Jan. 25-27, but that is still subject to change and not set in stone.

6:45 Update:

--- 2018 O-lineman Blaine Scott of Portsmouth (Ohio) said Kurt Anderson will visit his school next week. Bad weather in southern Ohio kept Arkansas from seeing him this week.

7:04 Update:

--- As posted by someone here earlier today, Enos and Lunney did check on Treylon Burks at Warren today, per Bo Hembree. The 2019 receiver has an Arkansas offer.

--- Defensive end/outside linebacker Jamare Edwards of Miami (Fla.) Carol City said he's spoken with Vernon Hargreaves and Hargreaves told him he'd visit him next week. Kansas and Florida International have offered. Personally, I think it's a "cover your bases" prospect and we see that a lot this time of year. They've obviously got a whole bunch of DE/OLB types in order.

8:30 Update:

--- Kamren Curl will now announce his decision next Thursday. His father tells me he has switched his official visit for Arkansas once again. He will be here next weekend (20th-22nd). Tonight's visit went great.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News