ADVERTISEMENT

U. of Texas wins Supreme Court case

Reactions: anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a
Society as a whole is not color blind.
Been said before, the only people you can LEGALLY discriminate against in this country, where everyone is supposed to be treated equally, is white males. Get used to it, it makes us a stronger country. lol.

Reactions: Hog73 and jlreich
It's soooooo hard being a white male. Christ. Somebody get the little baby his binky.

Aside from the fact that it is very much legal to discriminate against all sorts of people in this country, it was a FEMALE that was denied admission and originally brought this suit. The ignorance runs deep.

Reactions: RiverValleyHawg
Aside from the fact that it is very much legal to discriminate against all sorts of people in this country, it was a FEMALE that was denied admission and originally brought this suit. The ignorance runs deep.
Right and she had a damn 1100 on the SAT. You aren't sniffing UT with that kind of score, as you well know. Might as well have applied to Harvard.

Reactions: ermackey
This could backfire on the courts if this starts to be used as a precedence. Race should play no part in the decision making process for it can go both ways. I do understand that on the surface it seems that it helps minorities but it could hurt. Doesn't it also mean that they can admit a 'white' over a minority as well if they feel that they have too many minorities?

IMO, race shouldn't be declared on a college application. Could make the same argument for gender as well.

Although I will say I'd be pissed to show up as a college freshman, and see the enrollment was 80/20 dudes because the admissions staff was looking only at the body of work. 80/20 female and I'd be swimming though...

So many counties in the United States do not have white majority so you have to wonder if the rules will stay the same when whites become the minority :)

Affirmative Action does not do away with discrimination .....it just flips it to the other side. If we were doing the right thing, nobody would be picked on the shade of your skin. If a white feels that are being passed unfairly by a minority, they should just 'claim' they 'feel' like they are Asian , Hispanic or African American and that should take care of the problem
:)

Been said before, the only people you can LEGALLY discriminate against in this country, where everyone is supposed to be treated equally, is white males. Get used to it, it makes us a stronger country. lol.

I'm in the entertainment industry. Its actually legal for us to discriminate against race, height, looks and personality traits but I know what you're trying to say. Whites are the last people who should be complaining about anything though, we bullied our way into this country and then said sorry...

Last edited:
Reactions: gibbyda
the Bully whites built the greatest nation in the History of the world. It was so great that the rest of the world all wanted to be here. The Bully white s freed the minorities

Also
TX congressman wants to force colleges to enroll illegals
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7742

and

Law prof: football exploits black bodies
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6968

and

Facebook 'safe space' shuttered after anti-white/male statements leak
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7641

WTF are you talking about?

just a shame we can't take each other based on who we are and not what we look like. Wait, that does not apply to girls :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3bcc10-394d-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

They are allowed to keep using affirmative action. If they want to put a minority ahead of a 'white' student when it comes to admission and such, then it is legal.

I agree with the decision, but I also agree with the dissent. The points of entry to higher education are significantly slanted against African-Americans. They tend to be poorer. They tend to be first-generation college educated. They tend to attend schools with less financial support than whites. Standardized test questions tend to be biased toward majority culture (white). All of these things create a situation where trying to balance race in admissions makes perfectly good sense. Furthermore, white students benefit from socializing and taking courses with people from diverse backgrounds. Disallowing a diversity effort hurts white students too, but not in the way many realize.

On the other hand, the dissent is correct. Where are the limits? The dissent is correct that the advocates of diversity admissions are yet to provide a clear line that needs to be drawn to where reasonable and clear lines exist not just at one school, but across all higher ed.

Personally, I believe the issue to be college admissions tests. There has been significant research that shows parental income is the greatest predictor of college admissions tests (http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/sat-scores-and-family-income/?_r=0). This also makes sense for the predictive nature they are meant to serve - college success. Not only because parential income is usually linked to better college preparation (better schools, better outside preparation, better family resources/tutoring, more supportive households, etc...), but parental income is more predictive of ability to afford tuition. In effect, SAT and SAT are not just ethically biased, but wealth biased. Is it any wonder higher ACT scores tend to complete since it correlates with ability to pay tuition?

This was not the intent of SAT or ACT, but it is the effect. As a result, colleges are still among the most segregated institutions in the US. The last statistic I saw (http://www.forbes.com/colleges/university-of-arkansas-main-campus/) is that 4.87% of the UA is Black or African-American. Texas had a similar issue and tried to address the issue. Was it a reasonable method. Yes. Is it a clear line in the sand? No. But is it better than nothing? Definately.

Personally, I think College Admissions Tests should be removed from the admissions criteria completely. I would also not object to race being left off the applications. There is enough to make a decision based upon the application and the high school transcripts. Want more? Include an essay requirement or a resume why you deserve the opportunity over someone else. But get rid of the ACT and SAT as admissions criteria. Instead, use it for placement and early college intervention strategies.

Now, I also want to be clear that I believe racism against whites exist. I have seen it blatantly executed in university searches (even at the University of Arkansas). I have also suffered it. While many blow-off claims of racism against white males, I do not. The problem is that the people who cry the loudest are not those who empathetically recognize racism against minorities, but those that tend to say that minorities somehow get it easier or when it serves their own interest directly. You know. Racists. As a result, it renders people with legit gripes unheard and the notion of anti white discrimination unappreciated. Most of you that complain about it need to shut-up so that those of us with credibility on the issue can actually be heard.

And that is the problem with this case. It was a rich white girl who felt entitled to attend UT. She was a marginal candidate and was denied. Her parents were then rich enough to afford out-of-state tuition to LSU. Boo-friggin who. This was a case of white entitlement and the case was a joke. Make the case about a kid denied who was similar to the minority (poor, good grades, lower ACT score) and you have a case. But a rich white girl with every advantage? It was a joke.

Finally, the real issue is equal opportunity. Texas is a state 12% African-American, but UT is only 5% African-American. Likewise, Texas is 70% white, but UT is 78% white (http://admissions.utexas.edu/explore/freshman-profile). Does that show equal opportunity? If there is an admissions problem, it is that the admissions policies are still slanted against African-Americans. If your family can afford out-of-state tuition to LSU, but you could not get into UT, it is your own damn fault. But when the demographics of the campus are slanted in favor of the white demographic and hard against African-Americans, it is hard to convince me that whites are being discriminated against in the admissions process.

Get rid of college admissions tests. To me, that should have been the rule decades ago.

I'm in the entertainment industry. Its actually legal for us to discriminate against race, height, looks and personality traits but I know what you're trying to say. Whites are the last people who should be complaining about anything though, we bullied our way into this country and then said sorry...

Sins of the past belong with every race. I didn't do that but I am damn tired of being told I am the sinner and so now I can be discriminated against and I should just get over it. What is failing to be noticed is it took a lot of white males to get the improvements that have been made and that are the ones I grew up with. Why should we be punished for something we helped change?

@ermackey that was an incredible post. My one question is, with no ACT or SAT how do colleges wade through all of the applicants? I know so many people who had 4.0 GPAs with extracurriculars and so on who scored 21-25 on the ACT and just aren't exceptionally bright. How do you deal with that? Again, just a great post.

If you are discriminated against as a white male in this country then you must be a real dumbass.
Sorry you are not quite right on this statement. I own a small construction company and I can state as a fact that in performing government contracts, white male owned companies are discriminated against vs. minority owned companies. Now, you can say that white males have long held an advantage in the past (over 20 years ago or so) over minorities and I would agree with you - but those days are long gone.

Mackey may have some stereotypical 'stuff' going on.

He is saying that if my poor son goes up against Michael Jordan's son for some slot in a college.....the darker skin should get in because the darker skin in America equals a high school that did not get the money a Allen TX school might get.
I see too many potholes in that generalization. I know too many well off black families and too many poor white families to go there.

I would think the inner city kids is what you are talking about, not skin color

I am not angry, just fleshing out some thoughts. There are no easy answers and... different angles to look at

@ermackey that was an incredible post. My one question is, with no ACT or SAT how do colleges wade through all of the applicants? I know so many people who had 4.0 GPAs with extracurriculars and so on who scored 21-25 on the ACT and just aren't exceptionally bright. How do you deal with that? Again, just a great post.

Colleges got lazy. In the old days, you applied and someone read your application and they chose the best from a pool. The ACT/SAT changed that. The real role of ACT and SAT scores for most institutions, especially state institutions, is that it gave them a simple tool to cull the herd. May kids apply before they have a passing ACT or SAT. This weeds the pool down to 2000 or so that meet the minimums, but not enough for automatic admittance. This part of the process is legal and equitable, IMO.

The second stage is usually to then to start weeding. So, let's say that your auto-admit was anyone with a GPA of 3.5 or higher and an ACT of 25. You then start going down the pre-established process list to auto admit more until you get a manageable list. Depending on the size of the institution, you probably want to get down to 50 or so if you are Hendrix, but 500 or so if you are UT.

You then start hand-weeding using qualitative analysis of those "tied" meaning they meet minimums, but do not reach auto admittance. You spot a candidate that barely meets the ACT, but has a 4.0 and has a "story." They are a minority from a disadvantaged town. They were in foster care until they were 15. He/she served on their local school board or something unusual. Their dad's name is on the gym or the college of liberal arts. There are loads of honorable and dishonorable considerations. You through people into "in," out" and "maybe" piles until you get to the 10-15 hard choices for the last 10 spots. At larger institutions, maybe the last 50 for the last 30 slots. Really depends. That is where the admissions review committee or its like argues over individuals until you get the "maybe" pile down to the number of spots remaining. That is where race, income, daddy's name, etc... gets considered. It is how Bush got into Yale and the girl in this case got eliminated from the pool. That is why I said it is "her own damn fault" for being given every advantage and still being marginal enough to fall into that pile. Easy cut, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: gibbyda and gbbaber

He is saying that if my poor son goes up against Michael Jordan's son for some slot in a college.....the darker skin should get in because the darker skin in America equals a high school that did not get the money a Allen TX school might get.
I see too many potholes in that generalization. I know too many well off black families and too many poor white families to go there.

I am not angry, just fleshing out some thoughts. There are no easy answers and... different angles to look at
The statistics don't bear that out. Of course some black families are better off than white families. That's a no-brainier. It's also besides the point.

Actually no. I think I edited out the part where I said they need to bring a better case where a poor white male is thrown out of the pool over a rich black kid. That needs to be part of the line. Also, reducing my argument simply to race ignores my premise and 2/3rd of my evidence. If you want to reduce it further, my argument is that rich white kids tend to have better ACT scores and are artificially advantaged in the admissions process. This hurts anyone poor - regardless of race. African-Americans suffer additional disadvantages, but the real culprit is the ACT/SAT that discriminates against poor people across the board.

If you are discriminated against as a white male in this country then you must be a real dumbass.
Yeah you make 100% on a college entrance exam but because you're a white male you get bumped to allow a female who made 50% on the same test to be admitted. Yep, sounds like that white male is a real dumbass.

Yeah you make 100% on a college entrance exam but because you're a white male you get bumped to allow a female who made 50% on the same test to be admitted. Yep, sounds like that white male is a real dumbass.

And this happened when?

200w.gif

Med School

Dental School

I sat on a search at the University of Arkansas for the Department of Residence Life. We had a field of candidates that applied and visited for an interview. In the end, the committee recommended a white guy for the job. This committee has a good mix on it too. Hint. I was the only white guy.

We recommended the white guy for hire. His scores were leaps and bounds above anyone else. He also blew us away in his visit. The vote was unanimous.

We presented it to our supervisor. She said that we could not hire him because we really needed someone of color and preferably female. We stood our ground. She failed the search. We notified HR who asked if we would like to file a complaint against our supervisor. Lemme see... a right to work state where I am offered an annual contract. Nope. I have no wish to file a complaint and started looking for a new job.

The later, I was working for the University of Alaska in a native village. My first day, I met the advisory board. One of the board member's said that he hoped I worked out because they would have rather hired a native Inupiaq. He was serious. Now, I like the guy and he was just being honest. But I would have been crucified if I said anything similar. Later, our director retired an I applied for the job. I have a PhD in Higher Ed Public Policy, had recommendations from my director (an Inupiaq), they Mayor (an Inupiaq), and the Economic Development Vice President from NANA - the Inupiaq Corporation worth $2 billion. Our Vice Chancellor (an Athabaskan) who interviewed me has been very public saying that rural jobs should go to "local hires," the local code-talk for "natives." I was passed over for a person with a Masters in Social Work who happened to be native and married to a legislator, but never worked in Higher Ed. I asked for my scoring and a copy of the final ranking of candidates. I was first and it was not close. Her name was not on the list either. Ends-up they failed the search, waited 3 months, and made her an "emergency hire." I called one of the people on the interview panel who said they recommended me for hire and he was shocked that they would recommend a white guy for the job and questioned their "native pride." He dissolved the committee and did his own thing.

Erlier this week, I was passed over for a high-level job in State Government for a white woman who nly had a Bachelor's degree. But she also had 10 years of experience in the position directly below that of which we interviewed. I tip my hat to her. She was equally qualified and they could have gone either way. I am not going to scream about that one. And that is the typical case when I am passed-over. It is fair and I just was not chosen.

I am now out of education and likely for good. I still adjunct, but Higher Ed is a cess pool of entitled faculty and monsterous politics. Dumb politics that don't even matter like "you can't use "statistics" in your course title because that is a Math title. Use quantitative methods instead or we will file a grieveance with the provost." DUMB SHIT!. I have had enough. But here is the problem. What happened to me happens to blacks and minorities much more often than me. But to say white-male discrimination does not exist is a fantasy. There is racism and sexism out there for everyone. So calling someone a "dumbass" for being discriminated against is both ignorant and cruel. The problem is not that while male discrimination does not exist. The problem is that the people that tend to scream about it are the same people that blame it for EVERYTHING. And they also just happen to usially be known to be pretty intolerant of at least one minority group even though they have "black friends."

So yes. White-male racism exists even if fvcks tend to scream about it the loudest. So call fvcks fvcks, but do not blame the victims of bona-fide discrimination regardless of their race or gender. Everyone deserves "equal protection" and "equal opportunity" even if we are trying to figure out how to achieve it.

First, there is no way you would know that. You may suspect it, but those records are legally protected. Second, I use to give the MCAT as a proctor. It is not scored 50% and 100%. I am not sure what that even means? Are you speaking of their place in the curve? Are you saying she only got 1/2 the questions right? And if so, what questions were they and what was her core score?

Accepting the premise however ridicuious it may seem, it is possible. Med Schools are tough. I sat in on a nrsing selection for the University of Alaska where we have 20 slots for 200 on a waiting list. If someone had a C average in their coursework and a perfect MCAT, I would have serious reservations about bumping someone so your lazy ass could take the spot and mediocre your way through med school. I will take that 50% with straight-A's and a 50% MCAT and strong recommendations because I believe she will do everything she can to be the best she can be. I do not want a narcissist with perfect MCAT scores and poor work habits prescribing medicine thinking he knows it all. No way. That will get someone killed.

Somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor and someone has an appointment to see him. I do not want to be the person who graduated him.

I sat on a search at the University of Arkansas for the Department of Residence Life. We had a field of candidates that applied and visited for an interview. In the end, the committee recommended a white guy for the job. This committee has a good mix on it too. Hint. I was the only white guy.

We recommended the white guy for hire. His scores were leaps and bounds above anyone else. He also blew us away in his visit. The vote was unanimous.

We presented it to our supervisor. She said that we could not hire him because we really needed someone of color and preferably female. We stood our ground. She failed the search. We notified HR who asked if we would like to file a complaint against our supervisor. Lemme see... a right to work state where I am offered an annual contract. Nope. I have no wish to file a complaint and started looking for a new job.

The later, I was working for the University of Alaska in a native village. My first day, I met the advisory board. One of the board member's said that he hoped I worked out because they would have rather hired a native Inupiaq. He was serious. Now, I like the guy and he was just being honest. But I would have been crucified if I said anything similar. Later, our director retired an I applied for the job. I have a PhD in Higher Ed Public Policy, had recommendations from my director (an Inupiaq), they Mayor (an Inupiaq), and the Economic Development Vice President from NANA - the Inupiaq Corporation worth $2 billion. Our Vice Chancellor (an Athabaskan) who interviewed me has been very public saying that rural jobs should go to "local hires," the local code-talk for "natives." I was passed over for a person with a Masters in Social Work who happened to be native and married to a legislator, but never worked in Higher Ed. I asked for my scoring and a copy of the final ranking of candidates. I was first and it was not close. Her name was not on the list either. Ends-up they failed the search, waited 3 months, and made her an "emergency hire." I called one of the people on the interview panel who said they recommended me for hire and he was shocked that they would recommend a white guy for the job and questioned their "native pride." He dissolved the committee and did his own thing.

Erlier this week, I was passed over for a high-level job in State Government for a white woman who nly had a Bachelor's degree. But she also had 10 years of experience in the position directly below that of which we interviewed. I tip my hat to her. She was equally qualified and they could have gone either way. I am not going to scream about that one. And that is the typical case when I am passed-over. It is fair and I just was not chosen.

I am now out of education and likely for good. I still adjunct, but Higher Ed is a cess pool of entitled faculty and monsterous politics. Dumb politics that don't even matter like "you can't use "statistics" in your course title because that is a Math title. Use quantitative methods instead or we will file a grieveance with the provost." DUMB SHIT!. I have had enough. But here is the problem. What happened to me happens to blacks and minorities much more often than me. But to say white-male discrimination does not exist is a fantasy. There is racism and sexism out there for everyone. So calling someone a "dumbass" for being discriminated against is both ignorant and cruel. The problem is not that while male discrimination does not exist. The problem is that the people that tend to scream about it are the same people that blame it for EVERYTHING. And they also just happen to usially be known to be pretty intolerant of at least one minority group even though they have "black friends."

So yes. White-male racism exists even if fvcks tend to scream about it the loudest. So call fvcks fvcks, but do not blame the victims of bona-fide discrimination regardless of their race or gender. Everyone deserves "equal protection" and "equal opportunity" even if we are trying to figure out how to achieve it.

TL;DR

giphy.gif

Reactions: gbbaber
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT