ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting UCA transfer Camren Hunter talks unofficial visit to Arkansas

jacksoncollier

Hawgbert Financial Expert
Staff
Dec 22, 2018
Little Rock, AR

Even though Arkansas is still dancing in March Madness, the Razorback coaching staff has not stopped recruiting. With the transfer portal fully open, the staff is in the unique position of preparing to succeed for next season while still preparing for a Sweet Sixteen matchup against UConn. It is part of the new college basketball recruiting process and one Arkansas head coach Eric Musselman knows well.

In recruiting from the transfer portal, sometimes it pays to have talent close to home. That was the case for Bryant native Camren Hunter, who after two years of playing for the UCA Bears in Conway announced his decision to transfer.

Hunter has racked up awards and honors in his time as a Bear, including being named the ASUN Rookie of the Year in 2022, being named to the All-Freshman team in the conference and being third-team all conference in 2023. The 6-foot-3, 200 pound sophomore averaged 16.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.5 steals per game this past season, which was enough to catch the attention of the state's flagship university.

"It meant a lot for sure," Hunter said. "The Razorbacks are the pro team in this state so it was great for them to reach out. Also have to remain humble at the same time."

Remaining humble may prove difficult as Hunter has plenty of strong programs recruiting him, including Auburn, Tulane, Butler, Saint Louis, Oral Roberts, Loyola Chicago and Tulsa, in addition to the home-state Hogs. The in-state product just completed an unofficial visit in Fayetteville Monday.

"(The visit) went extremely well," Hunter said. "Well enough for them to want to come back and do an official visit. They were very honest and down to earth. Exposed me in my weaknesses and strengths. They told me how I fit and how they had did some research on me before reaching to make sure I fit their program as a whole. Little things not so far as weaknesses just things that could help elevate me. Playmaking, three level scoring and defending, toughness, and other stuff."

When asked if he was planning on scheduling any other visits to other programs, Hunter said he wasn't sure but that he was currently doing Zoom calls with some schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News