ADVERTISEMENT

Football Updated Arkansas football 2023 projected depth chart: Defense

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

With eight fall camp practices and one scrimmage in the books for the Arkansas Razorbacks, it is time for us to update our projected defensive depth chart.

First-year defensive coordinator Travis Williams and his staff have put together a talented group of defenders and each position seems to have much more quality depth than last year.

After watching seven open practices and hearing results from Saturday's open scrimmage, we have made some changes from our previous projected defensive depth chart, which was published on July 27.

Here's a full breakdown of the projected depth chart at every position on defense and reasoning for changes.

Defensive End​

1. Landon Jackson - Junior, 6'7", 281 pounds
2. Trajan Jeffcoat - Super senior, 6'4", 281 pounds
3. John Morgan III - Super senior, 6'2", 270 pounds
4. Zach Williams - Super senior, 6'4", 250 pounds
5. Jashaud Stewart - Senior, 6'2", 257 pounds
6. Nico Davillier - Sophomore, 6'4", 268 pounds

I'm not making any changes to the defensive ends. As of now, it seems like Jackson and Jeffcoat are the clear starters with the trio of Morgan, Williams and Stewart being solid rotational pieces.

We heard from Pittman that Jeffcoat had a really good day during the scrimmage on Saturday.

"He’s got a nose for the ball, run and pass," quarterback KJ Jefferson said of Jeffcoat. "Great guy. He’s a hard working guy. It’s always a competition with him. He’s self motivated a lot of the time. Having a guy like him on the edge is really a problem."

Davillier is the ninth man on the defensive line rotation, according to Pittman. The sophomore out of Maumelle checks in at 6-foot-4, 268 pounds and he has the tools to become an elite edge rusher.

Freshmen Quincy Rhodes Jr. and Kaleb James both have bright futures, but I'm not sure how often they will play as first year guys. They both look the part and if they are needed to play significant snaps, I would feel comfortable with what the Razorbacks have.

Defensive Tackle​

1. Taurean Carter - Redshirt senior, 6'3", 303 pounds
2. Anthony "Tank" Booker - Redshirt senior, 6'4", 351 pounds
3. Keivie Rose - Redshirt senior, 6'3", 303 pounds
4. Cam Ball - Redshirt sophomore, 6'5", 319 pounds
5. Eric Gregory - Redshirt senior, 6'4", 318 pounds
6. Marcus Miller - Redshirt senior, 6'5", 296 pounds

As of right now, I'm not going to make any changes to the defensive tackles either. Carter is healthy and he made plays in the scrimmage, according to Pittman.

Booker has been dealing with a bit of a knee injury, so he didn't participate in the scrimmage. He has been participating in practice and he would've gone had it been a game day.

Rose has also been dealing with an injury, but he was participating at practice Friday and he played in the scrimmage as far as we know.

"He’s more of a finesser," Carter said of Rose. "A speed rusher. He most definitely adds versatility to the interior. He can hold the point at the same time, but his craft is speed and finesse. Really bending the corner and getting off the edge and just really making the guys split the two."

If I had to pick a breakout candidate at defensive tackle who could move up, I'd pick Cam Ball. I'm always impressed with his effort in practice and Carter believes Ball has improved a lot since last fall.

"Like, when I see 5 go to work, it’s different," Carter said. "Because he, A, has the potential to be a power rusher and a finesse rusher. He can bend the corner, he’s got speed, he’s got quickness, but he also mainly impacts in power.

"So, he can beat you up the field, club you inside, and you’re going to fly because he’s very powerful. And you’re going to overset because he’s very quick. You’ve got to respect him."
Gregory and Miller are veterans who can step in and give the Hogs more rotation on the interior. Freshman Ian Geffrard checks in at 394 pounds and he might get some work in goal line situations.

Linebacker​

1. Chris "Pooh" Paul Jr. - Junior, 6'1", 233 pounds
2. Antonio Grier - Super senior, 6'1", 230 pounds
3. Jaheim Thomas - Redshirt junior, 6'4", 240 pounds
4. Jordan Crook - Sophomore, 6'0", 220 pounds
5. Brad Spence - Freshman, 6'2", 237 pounds
6. Mani Powell - Sophomore, 6'3", 231 pounds

Pittman revealed Saturday that Paul did not participate in the scrimmage due to an MCL issue. While it was precautionary and Pittman said Paul would've played if it was a real game, it's a situation to monitor for our projected No. 1 linebacker.

I kept Grier as the No. 2 and Thomas as the No. 3, though I think that No. 2 spot is still up for grabs. We haven't had the chance to see the linebackers really going full speed other than the occasional fastball plays where they swarm to the ball.

Two changes I made at the bottom included a move from No. 5 to No. 6 for Mani Powell and I inserted Brad Spence at No. 5 after we've heard good things about the freshman from Houston.

"I think the weight room has a done a nice job for him, first and foremost," Pittman said of Spence on Thursday. "He’s built his confidence through there, and now he knows what he’s doing and all that, but I’ll tell you he makes plays all the time and he can really run.

"He made a play today, it’s not sideline to sideline, but one hash all the way to out of bounds on the other hash. That’s hard to do for anybody, but he did it. What’s that tell you? He's got all the ability, but he’s using his ability. A lot of guys have ability, they don't use it. He’s one of those guys that does. I think the future is really bright for him, and the future is now."

Along with Spence, the Razorbacks have two freshmen in Carson Dean and Alex Sanford who have done well through eight practices of fall camp.

Reactions: cfcjr50 and DaltonG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News