ADVERTISEMENT

Football Updated Arkansas football 2023 projected depth chart: Offense

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

After watching five of Arkansas' fall camp practices, I have decided to update my projected depth chart for the Razorbacks' offense.

While we were only able to watch the 11-on-11 fastball period for the first three practices, I've been able to get a good idea of how everyone is looking through individual drills, two-on-two slot and inside zone drills.

The last version of the offense depth chart I put out was on June 13 and it was fairly accurate, but there are some changes. I've given reasoning for all of my changes based on what I've been seeing at practices and hearing from coaches and players.

Quarterback​

1. KJ Jefferson
2. Jacolby Criswell
3. Cade Fortin

There have been no changes made for the quarterbacks. Obviously, Jefferson is still No. 1.

As expected, Criswell has been the second team quarterback during fastball (11-on-11) periods. Fortin starts with the third team and then freshman Malachi Singleton rotates in with Fortin.

I wouldn't be opposed to making a 3a and 3b situation with Fortin and Singleton. The four-star freshman has looked really sharp throwing the ball and he can run nearly as fast as the receivers he's throwing to.

Running Back​

1. Raheim Sanders
2. AJ Green
3. Rashod Dubinion
4. Dominique Johnson
5. Isaiah Augustave

I made a couple of changes to running back.

First, I moved AJ Green back to the No. 2 spot, though it really should be 2a and 2b with Green and Rashod Dubinion.

Second, I added Dominique Johnson and Isaiah Augustave after hearing from Johnson and running backs coach Jimmy Smith.

It wasn't so long ago that Johnson started the season as the fourth-string running back and he ended it as the starter. It'll be hard to overtake Sanders, but I see Johnson playing a role in the Razorback backfield this fall.

While Augustave might not see a lot of touches in 2023, he is a very talented freshman who seems to be picking things up quickly.

Tight End​

1. Luke Hasz
2. Nathan Bax
3. Var'keyes Gumms

I've flipped Luke Hasz and Var'keyes Gumms after what I've watched through five practices. But this is a good example of this updated depth chart being for right now and not a Week 1 depth chart projection, as I think Gumms just needs to get acclimated.

Tight end is a weird position to do a three-deep depth chart because Bax is probably the starter if they just have one tight end on the field. But for the purpose of this depth chart, I put Hasz at No. 1 because I think he will be the top pass catching tight end.

Not only is Hasz noticeably bigger, but he's more aggressive and you can tell he's progressed in his blocking. He's a very talented route runner and he allows offensive coordinator Dan Enos more freedom in play calling.

Bax will be the primary blocking tight end with Louisville transfer Francis Sherman being another very solid option. Gumms just needs to get more practices under his belt, but I could see him coming along soon.

The other two options are redshirt freshman Ty Washington and freshman Shamar Easter. Both are very talented and could easily work their way into being a regular contributor.

Slot Wide Receiver​

1. Isaiah Sategna
2. Bryce Stephens
3. Jaedon Wilson

The only change here was moving Dazmin James from the slot to outside and I inserted Jaedon Wilson at No. 3.

Sategna seems like the obvious starter, in my opinion. Stephens is a solid No. 2 option, who will get first team reps throughout fall camp. I just see Sategna winning that battle in the slot.

Wilson could also be an option on the outside, but I've got him in the slot. A car accident ended his spring, but Wilson is back healthy and he has looked solid to this point.

Outside Wide Receiver​

1. Andrew Armstrong
2. Isaac TeSlaa
3. Tyrone Broden
4. Sam Mbake
5. Davion Dozier
6. Dazmin James

I kept Armstrong, TeSlaa and Broden as the top three, but I added Mbake, Dozier and James for the sake of having a three-deep for both outside receivers.

If I was filling out the depth chart for a game tomorrow, the two starters would be Armstrong and TeSlaa. Neither one has played a down of Division I football, but you would have no clue of that if you watched them in practice.

Mbake continues to surprise me and I think his work ethic could take him a long way. As of right now, he's earned more playing time than I expected him to have.

Dozier was a storyline after the first day of camp, but he's cooled off a bit since then. He and James are two freshmen who bring something different to the table. James is a quick guy who can cut on a dime, while Dozier is 6-foot-4 and he can win one-on-one battles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News