ADVERTISEMENT

We Report, You Decide: The Minimum Wage

Keep in mind that the GOP has fought each and every attempt to raise the minimum wage. They fought the original bill really hard but had a minority in Congress.

Of course, they also fought Social Security, Workers Comp, Unemployment insurance and OSHA and virtually all concepts that might cost big business any money at all.

I sure would hate to live on the present minimum wage. And no, people on minimum wage are not lazy, good for nothings. Some may be, but most have no options like young kids right out of high school who need to be on their own.

But then, I am sure some of the right would call me a left wing Communist Dog.

That's great, so let's just go ahead and raise the min wage to $20 an hour. Why stop there...let's just make it $30 an hour, after all, the higher the better for everyone right?

Originally posted by jhskiier:
Link
What precedes every rule of economics?

"All things held constant...."

The problem with economics is... all things are never held constant. Therefore, you can find tons of situations where a "rule" of economics did not hold true... Why? Because a basic rule of economics got overwhelmed by other factors.

So, liberals constantly point to an anomaly as proof that an economic rule is wrong.

For example, in a bull economy... you can do a lot of things that are detrimental to the economy and it will shrug it off and keep on going. That's one definition of a bull economy.

But, here's the deal. Suppose you raise taxes in a bull economy and it keeps on growing at a 4% clip. In the liberal mind, that's proof that tax increases don't decrease economic growth. Yeah, but if you hadn't raised taxes, perhaps the economy grows at 5%...

This post was edited on 3/11 8:24 AM by original hambone

The trouble is that there is no magic formula to provide all people with a nice standard of living. But I personally feel that we should all try to get an economic system that does the best for the largest number of people. The robber barons of past cared not for anyone else, and the extreme left today feels there should be no wealthy people, both concepts are wrong, but how we get a good balance is not all that easy.

But at the present time in the US, I feel the minimum wage needs to be increased. Frankly if a business cannot afford to pay a person ten dollars an hour, why would they need them? I would assume a business owner would not hire a person if that person could not produce far more revenue than ten dollars per hour.

Originally posted by bobhawg:
The trouble is that there is no magic formula to provide all people with a nice standard of living. But I personally feel that we should all try to get an economic system that does the best for the largest number of people. The robber barons of past cared not for anyone else, and the extreme left today feels there should be no wealthy people, both concepts are wrong, but how we get a good balance is not all that easy.

But at the present time in the US, I feel the minimum wage needs to be increased. Frankly if a business cannot afford to pay a person ten dollars an hour, why would they need them? I would assume a business owner would not hire a person if that person could not produce far more revenue than ten dollars per hour.
Capitalism is the only economic system that has lifted the masses out of poverty.

One of the biggest fallacies that liberals perpetrate is that the rich become rich at the poor people's expense. That is simply not true. When people buy a product... it is a free exchange of money for a product. People shop where they get the best combination of service and quality. Nobody puts a gun to anybody's head and force them to buy a product. Same with employment. Slavery does not exists in the US. People are offered jobs that pay a certain amount and with certain benefits and they take the job. If they aren't happy, they are free to go work some place else.

You get rich in this country by enriching others. John Deere invented the steel plow. It allowed farmers to farm a lot more land... it increased the farmers income by several fold. John Deere's steel plow enriched those who bought it and made John Deere a rich man.

Sam Walton got rich by saving his customers money.

People who cheat to get rich... end up in jail.

I might question the last line there Ham, in this neck of the woods there are a lot of elected officials who ought to be in jail but are not. Not to mention most of the US congress. But that is not economics, it is graft.

Originally posted by bobhawg:
I might question the last line there Ham, in this neck of the woods there are a lot of elected officials who ought to be in jail but are not. Not to mention most of the US congress. But that is not economics, it is graft.
I understand.. and agree.

I was speaking in terms of businessmen. like Bernie Madoff and those guys at Enron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT