ADVERTISEMENT

what is your opinion on trash talk in the sport of football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodshed 1914

Jun 3, 2010
I'm actually a fan if trash talk especially on the defensive side of the ball. Love when teams have that swagger.

It's a part of the game.

You either back it up and get in the other guys head or you don't and give the other guy a boost by having shut you up.

I love it in all sports not just football. If an opponent can't handle the talk then it will effect their game and make them lose focus on their task at hand.

I'm not crazy about it, but if you do it...you better be backing it up by your play the entire game. What I hate is when a guy gets burned...gets burned...gets burned...bats a ball down and then acts like no one has gained yards on him the whole day. If you don't dominate the game at your position...shut up!

I used to do it to the player that lined up in front of me. Nothing Bad just you can't hold me, blah blah blah. It's all in fun and after the game go up to them and say good game. Now there are players that take it way out of line.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

As long as it doesn't draw a flag and you can back it up, I'm all for it. Its fun to get inside an opponent's head.

it's not part of my culture, my generation, my upbringing, or the way I was coached.........not a thing wrong with exuberance and joy in playing the game.......but we always respected our opponent and let our play speak for us.

Talk is, was, and always will be, cheap. That doesn't jive with the mindset, mentality, maturity, and modern perspective
of the times and societal mores. It is what it is.

Must be a generational thing. I don't understand it and never will. What's the friggin' point? Shut up and let you're playing do the talking.

If we did anything close to what these kids do today, we'd get our butt on the bench. If we did it again, we'd be off the team for good. Not kidding.

Originally posted by The Baconator:
Must be a generational thing. I don't understand it and never will. What's the friggin' point? Shut up and let you're playing do the talking.

If we did anything close to what these kids do today, we'd get our butt on the bench. If we did it again, we'd be off the team for good. Not kidding.
I agree.....I wouldn't do it. When I played for my dad...if he saw you doing it...you'd be over there beside him on the sideline. Just play ball....dominate on the field...let the team losing talk all they want.

Originally posted by The Baconator:
What's the friggin' point?
The point is to fluster the opposing player. Of course you need to be able to back it up, but if you can play good and cause a good player from the other team to play bad at the same time you give yourself even more of an advantage.

Originally posted by LaHoggaNostra:
If Batman Carroll had not played for Arkansas I would probably like it
I'm not picking on you because you are certainly entitled to your opinion and aren't the only one who feels this way, plus I think you're a great poster, but I've never understood the Batman hate.

5 star from out of state, a three year starter who routinely was left on an island with no help to fend for himself, left after his junior year and was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. Also by all accounts the hardest worker on the team while he was on the Hill. Normally that would be the resume of a guy that would be beloved by the fans of his school.

Hog fans are literally the only people in the world who don't/didn't like him as a player. What gives?

I agree. Trash talking reminds me of a little yippy dog. Little yippy dogs don't impress big dogs and trash talking never impressed or for that matter intimidated anyone who is ready to play. So I am in the let your actions do the talking camp.

Originally posted by gbbaber:

Originally posted by LaHoggaNostra:
If Batman Carroll had not played for Arkansas I would probably like it
I'm not picking on you because you are certainly entitled to your opinion and aren't the only one who feels this way, plus I think you're a great poster, but I've never understood the Batman hate.

5 star from out of state, a three year starter who routinely was left on an island with no help to fend for himself, left after his junior year and was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. Also by all accounts the hardest worker on the team while he was on the Hill. Normally that would be the resume of a guy that would be beloved by the fans of his school.

Hog fans are literally the only people in the world who don't/didn't like him as a player. What gives?
I gotcha Baber; what I meant was I never liked the fact the Batman would jump up and celebrate/talk after a QB overthrew the receiver by 20 yards. I did like him as a player, just not the way he was always celebrating. I think that some of our CB's get picked on because of the position; like you said they are on an island. I know for sure if I have ever misjudged a position it is CB; I've been wrong many time before about them.

I think you show emotion to YOUR TEAM-MATES immediately after the play and get back in the huddle. I am not into the trash talking thing. And yes, I believe it is a generational thing.

I disagree that it is a generational thing. Trash talk pre-dates everyone on this board.

I love it. I was the world's worst in HS. 145lbs soaking wet too. It's like someone else said, it's just gamesmanship. Now, all of the dancing around and stuff...that's unnecessary.

Originally posted by Woodshed 1914:
I disagree that it is a generational thing. Trash talk pre-dates everyone on this board.
I'm not saying it didn't exist in the 60's....but it certainly wasn't as widespread, prevalent, pervasive, or acceptable compared to today's societal mores, so in that respect, it is certainly a generational thing.

I think a lot of people ITT are having trouble distinguishing from trash talking and show boating. Trash talking has been a part of sports long before anyone on this board was alive. Show boating on the other hand is far more common these days. I'm more than fine with trash talking, as long as you're backing it up with your play. Of course I say this assuming the trash talking being done is friendly and not going over the line, which is not always the case. I could do without all of the dancing, hand gestures, etc. but if a player makes you look silly and then says something to the effect of "I'm gonna own you all day", there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't like it? Then play better.

Originally posted by THE UofA:
I think a lot of people ITT are having trouble distinguishing from trash talking and show boating. Trash talking has been a part of sports long before anyone on this board was alive. Show boating on the other hand is far more common these days. I'm more than fine with trash talking, as long as you're backing it up with your play. Of course I say this assuming the trash talking being done is friendly and not going over the line, which is not always the case. I could do without all of the dancing, hand gestures, etc. but if a player makes you look silly and then says something to the effect of "I'm gonna own you all day", there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't like it? Then play better.
Good Post. I was referring to the gamesmanship of verbal trash talk.

Originally posted by THE UofA:
. Trash talking has been a part of sports long before anyone on this board was alive.

I've got 30 years of insight on you.....and while it existed minimally ....it was not pervasive or acceptable across the board.....................the players were just as tough......but there was more respect for
your opponent than today....

Pros did it.....mostly in the piles...not so much overtly or blatantly....
In colleges and high schools, it was frowned upon severely...and often penalized as 'unsportsmanlike conduct'...............

like I said....it is what it is ....part of the reflection of the changes in society............

I'm an old guy and things have changed, but I say shut up and play the game. I really enjoy seeing Collins make a good run, get up and hand the ball to the ref. and head back to the huddle. My dad told me if you wanted to get into some one's head, just run over his ass and then offer to help him up.

Originally posted by hogwildfan:

I'm an old guy and things have changed, but I say shut up and play the game. I really enjoy seeing Collins make a good run, get up and hand the ball to the ref. and head back to the huddle. My dad told me if you wanted to get into some one's head, just run over his ass and then offer to help him up.
Agree with all of this

Originally posted by hogwildfan:

I'm 28 and was always taught this. I talked trash but it was usually only to certain teams. I don't really care much about it one way or the other but I hate to see someone mouth off and it be ignored. Step up, don't get punked down

Totally incorrect Woodsman 1914 (as usual). Trash talking, particularly openly, was not allowed when I played back in the late 60s. If you got busted for it, you were labelled a "prima-dona" and life for you w/ certain coaches were not good.

Times have changed, as society has changed, so it's all different now. I don't want to get into the REAL reason for this, but it is what it is. In my day, you did your job and got back to the huddle. When the RB just got 20 over the top of you as a DT, the OG didn't need to say anything.

I have always like the way Mike Singletary summed it up......"I would go over to the RB and say how are you? You don't look so good, but I sincerely hope you are feeling better the next time we meet." Singletary said I never raised my voice and sometimes I would even pick him up.

Love it in any sport. Any way to get into your opponents head is a plus. It's not your problem if they're mentally weak. It's part of the game.

Not trash talk per se,but the Pirate fans shouting Cueto,Cueto,Cueto affected him greatly.

Always got a rush when some chump trash-talked, then proceeded to get beat.

Shows a complete lack of class, but class is something most in the "new" generation know very little about.

Really, really, really, really poor sportsmanship. Very sad that so many view this as acceptable.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT