ADVERTISEMENT

what is your opinion on trash talk in the sport of football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by The Baconator:
Really, really, really, really poor sportsmanship. Very sad that so many view this as acceptable.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
It's not poor sportsmanship when you do it right and back it up. I think your understanding of trash talk is different from mine. I would talk all game long and get in the opponents head to the point where they hate my guts, but as soon as the game is over we shake hands and I usually got props by the guy I pissed off, no hard feelings.

Originally posted by razorblues:

Totally incorrect Woodsman 1914 (as usual).A? Trash talking, particularly openly, was not allowed when I played back in the late 60s.A? If you got busted for it, you were labelled a "prima-dona" and life for you w/ certain coaches were not good.A?

Times have changed, as society has changed, so it's all different now.A? I don't want to get into the REAL reason for this, but it is what it is.A? In my day, you did your job and got back to the huddle.A? When the RB just got 20 over the top of you as a DT, the OG didn't need to say anything.

I have always like the way Mike Singletary summed it up......"I would go over to the RB and say how are you?A? You don't look so good, but I sincerely hope you are feeling better the next time we meet."A?A? Singletary said I never raised my voice and sometimes I would even pick him up.A?
your constant disrespect makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously. Don't pretend to have class amist a classless action. Props to Ump and crew who have the ability to disagree without catching feelings that leads to name calling.

This post was edited on 10/4 3:23 PM by Woodshed 1914

This post was edited on 10/4 4:24 PM by Woodshed 1914

Really, really, really, really poor sportsmanship. Very sad that so many view this as acceptable.
Sportsmanship is shaking your opponents hand after you whoop his butt. Class is not cheating. Play me and I will talk trash, beat your butt, then shake your hand and say good game.

Woodshed, we can only speak from our experiences, but I just experienced a different era concerning "trash talk" growing up in the 60's. I guess it depends on your definition of trash talk and its pervasiveness. From my experience, trash talk has grown exponentially over the last few decades to what we see on the field today. Of course, words were said even in the old days, but, nothing to the extent that we see today. Decades ago, you rarely "saw" on the TV screen definite exchanges going back and forth after a play. Today, it is rare to see it not happen after a play. I think it is a generational thing and to those of my generation, most of us probably think it is cheap. But, I doubt it will go away so it is not a huge issue with me.

Per other posters, I also agree that the one thing that most irritates me is the showboating of a player that has been habitually used all day, only suddenly to make one good play. Or, as I witnessed recently. A team is getting royally whipped, its late in the 4th quarter, a defensive player on the losing team makes an average stop before the goal line and he jumps up and does his dance. His team is losing by 30 points and he wants to celebrate a very normal play.

I also get what a previous poster said about making the game "exciting." I get it but I don't agree that this is the type of excitement I wish to see in the game. I prefer my excitement to come from the actual play and not the extra curricular activities. Saying that, I will also state a pet peeve that may step on some toes. I can hardly believe what I see happening at many high school games. I realize that I go because of the sports, but it is a three ring circus at the games. Cheer leaders no longer pay much attention to the game as they are so invoved in their intricate dances and stunts (one of my daughters was a cheer leader, so I can speak with knowledge on this). The band is frequently not paying attention as they are doing their songs at unstrategic times of the game. After half time, half of the crowd leaves as they were there as parents of the half time parade. Yes, they were there to support their child and I understand that. But, it looks strange for a football game crowd to diminish by a third to a half after halftime and certainly is a little discouraging to the team. Just my opinion and I respectfully acknowledge that I enjoy sports. I also go crazy at professional games, especially basketball with all their hoopla during time-outs. Perhaps it is for children and the non-sports people but if I had wanted to go to a circus I would have gone to a circus.

I hope my tirade hasn't detracted from the OP too much.

Originally posted by minnesotahog:

Play me and I will talk trash, beat your butt, then shake your hand and say good game.

Talking-Trash_3.png

Originally posted by UTRIP UMP:

Play me and I will talk trash, beat your butt, then shake your hand and say good game.

Talking-Trash_3.png
you're showing poor sportsmanship UMP...
don't think of it as a label...think of it as an ID...............

Talking-Trash_3.png
Classless name calling. Must be a bag of money cause all I do is win, win, win son....... Epic Fail Richard Head!!!

Talking-Trash_3.png
Classless name calling. Must be a bag of money cause all I do is win, win, win son....... Epic Fail Richard Head!!!
tranference and projection are apt responses...you wind. g'night lastly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT