What they're sayin' (Aggie edition)

trippyfish

Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2020
Pyeongtaek-si
Here's a lot of Friday reading for you:
================================

I have now watched all three games of Arkansas. Our offense should be able to move the ball against them. Every team they have played this far has left a ton of yards on the field missing throws….I understand everyone misses them….but in the 1st half alone the QB from Central Mizzou missed at least 6…..The offense has to move the ball this game because Arkansas’ offense is effective when they can play with tempo….
---
this is a Very Bad matchup for us
---
if we get anything from our offense, we will be fine
---
What offense?
---
Toughest game this year IMO. Many will say it’s Bama but we seem to always get up for that game and are competitive. Arky almost always “out energy’s” us in this contest. This year will be no different.
---
If we get 150 yards rushing and 250 passing we win the game. 30-23 Aggs!
---
When we had to face a terrible secondary last year in our last game against LSU Calzada threw for 250 yards and TDs with Jalen Preston and Moose at WRs.
Now we're facing an even worse secondary with Max Johnson with Evan Stewart and Chris Marshall at WR. I think we'll be fine.
---
Arkansas is going to go man. They basically can't cover zone so they won't try. They'll line up and see if they can go get us 3rd and Chavis style.
Max is willing to play that game, and we have Ainias, Stewart, and Marshall, plus Achane on the wheel.
They're either going to get home or we're going to score a TD. Every possession.
---
They won’t play straight man….they don’t have the bodies for it and they know it…they will do combo coverages and exotic blitz packages in both the run and pass game…we have had trouble targeting the right ppl so they are going to use that to their advantage
---
I watched the SC/Arky game and was amazed by how much penetration SC goth with their line at times....I was also Amazed at how poor they were at tackling...there were multiple tackles broken in the backfield....A&M's DL is going to have to re-direct their offensive lineman into the backfield...they run a good zone blocking scheme. SC held them to 4.5 yards per carry which for SC is a pretty good day for South Carolina considering they were 5 yards a pop against Georgia State and 6 yards against Georgia. A&M just needs to make sure they have numbers in the box, i would rather make Jefferson beat me throwing the ball because i like our matchups more in the secondary than i do with giving them numbers to flat stuff the ball down our throat.
---
Wouldn't expect to see alot of pass rush in this game. Durkin's game plan will be to stop the run and keep Jefferson in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm.
---
You may get a lot of two high looks that allow the Hogs to run the ball so that A&M takes away the big play
---
Why would Durkin want to give Arkansas advantages for running the ball, moving down the field, wearing out our defense, and limiting our offensive opportunities? Do you think Arkansas is that big of a threat for explosive plays against a sound defense?
---
They can be…..it’s just the law of averages…..KJ Jefferson has a big time arm and all it takes is a step to result in a big play….the issue I see thus far is they just don’t throw it deep very often….now A&M can disguise a two high look and send safeties crashing down as almost everything Arky does is zone read….A&M needs big games from their interior OL….Arky is susceptible to interior penetration and it blows up their entire run game when it happens….
---
We've also had a lot of drives stalled that kept going cause of penalties, so you clean that up as well and our defense would look even better than it has.
---
under sumlin, i gave up all hope on defense. i just flat out gave up that we could finish a game etc
under jimbo, i have nearly given up hope that we can score 14. i hope im wrong and i hope we torch them on the deep ball. but hope is horrible trading strategy. wouldnt bet on vegas.
---
Yeah…:I don’t know what Vegas is seeing for us to be a favorite
Not buying it.
---

Maybe gamblers should read The Holy Bible.
That's my thought.

---
This line makes no sense, we’re favored over a top ten in a neutral site.
---
It's almost like they want to attract some early A&M money before the line starts dropping.
---
Just a very surprising line. Unless a very different Texas A&M offense shows up Saturday, I don't see us winning without a +2 turnover margin. But hey, they have surprised the heck out of me in situations like this before. And Jimbo's back is against the wall.....
---
Maybe they have more faith in our offense getting better than Arkansas’ defense it all seemed very odd to me on the opening line but after watching some Arky film……I can kind of see what they are thinking
---
A&M covered against The U and will probably cover again.
---
Arky and the under.
---
I’m quite surprised by the line. Between Jefferson, their big back, and rush defense, this is not a good match up for us.
---
I would think Vegas isn’t buying Arky’s top ten ranking, and knows the history of this game. It will be a dog fight as usual going well into the fourth quarter.
---
We run 3 different plays on offense and consistently line up in 3 man fronts on defense.
Plus they play this game like they chugged a gallon of pre-workout and we play like we thought the game was tomorrow.
No idea how we stay within 10 points.
---
A few things that people are missing here. #1 ark defense (especially pass) is downright bad, missing players and just not athletic in the 2nd/3rd levels. #2 if the young WR can get separation and max can hit them for long gains that changes the game for ark. They dont pass well and with a young athletic front we're much better to play the pass than the run no question. Next is who has ark really beat? Cinn- sucks, SC- worse lol , MOst had them beat until they fell apart and game them the game so im not sold on ask being a good team. Just my thoughts, its going to be close no matter what.
---
We aren’t good but Arky is overrated. Will be another dog fight. I feel better with Max back there. If Jimbo calls a decent game and we have Stewart and Marshall back I like our chances.
---
Would prefer not to give a better Arkansas team any extra motivation
---
On paper, A&M atleast a 14point favorite. Unfortunately for A&M, football is played on grass.
---
i just dont see us winning this game, i think it'll be a fight but i think we come up short due to the offense not being able to sustain drives. early prediction is 23-20 hogs
---
One, Arkansas should be the "pick" based on what we've seen so far in this season; and if we do not get more physical run play fits at LB they may well run the ball too much to overcome. I certainly hope it is up to Jefferson's arm and not their running game. In our favor is the return of Stewart and Marshall; the return of the DLmen that have missed and the secondary should be all good to go.
---
I’m suspicious of Arky’s defense. They’re not very good, but the offense under Jefferson is a different story. They’re going to score.
Our defense will be the best they’ve played so far.
Have your popcorn ready
---
I think I saw their pass defense in last in the FBS. Or close to it. We better be able to put up some points. Hopefully Max continues to progress with another week getting the reps.
---
They were losing to an FCS team by 10 points in the 4th quarter before getting a 73 yard run for a TD and a punt return TD to take the lead. Our fan base would be losing their minds saying how much we suck and shouldn’t be ranked 10th in the nation if we did that.
---
We can’t get b1ych slapped versus the run game and have to exploit their secondary. Simple as that.
---
Treylon Burks was the difference in the game last year. He got whatever he wanted. 6-167 and a touchdown. KJ only completed 7 passes in the game.
It's time for my incredibly reductive take:
The team with the better quarterback play always wins this game. We had the better quarterback for 9 straight years.
Before that, Tyler Wilson threw for 510 and 3 touchdowns against us in 2011. That was enough to overcome 381(!!) rushing yards by A&M. Ryan Mallett threw for 332 and 3 touchdowns against us in 2010. Jerrod Johnson was 15/40 throwing it.
There is plenty going on with Arkansas to suggest they are getting more and more vulnerable to throwing it. Their opponent's yards per attempt is creeping up and up, and now they're down Catalon. They gave up 9.6 ypa to Spencer Rattler at home. That's not a good indicator. They seem to be transitioning to an offensive club, which I guess is natural with the Briles offensive style of play.
There are reasons to think Arkansas will have the better quarterback play in this game, but here are some things that I do know:
1. Since Fisher has been at A&M, the team has not played well in Dallas one time. In 2019, we played a bad team to a very close game. 33 carries for 89 yards for A&M. In 2018, we played a bad team to a very close game. Mond threw 2 picks and no touchdowns. He carried it 11 times for 14 yards. Obviously, we know what happened in 2021. We just haven't played well there.
2. Going back a decade, this game is marked by gigantic plays. 100 yard KO return Kirk. 100 yard KO return Corbin. 81 yard TD Kirk. 92 yard TD Reynolds. Kellen Mond 90 yard run. Treylon Burks 85 yard TD. 67 yard TD Spiller. Knight 42 yard TD run. Knight 48 yard TD run. Edward Pope 86 yard TD. Josh Reynolds 59 yard TD.
These things don't happen that often in college football, but they happen with regularity in this game, and the team that gets them wins the game. Which brings me to my next point.
3. These games are virtually always one score games and are tight for a reason. The coaches are tight. They take risks. They're driven by pressure because it's a rivalry game, like it or not.
4. If you don't give up the big play and your QB doesn't turn the ball over, you're going to win this game. QED.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News