ADVERTISEMENT

Football Will Matt Landers be drafted?

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

After transferring in from Toledo and enjoying a career-best season with Arkansas, Matt Landers now has his sights set on the NFL Draft.

The 6-foot-4, 202-pound pass catcher led the Razorbacks with 901 receiving yards and eight touchdowns on 47 receptions in 2022. His 901 receiving yards ranks eighth all-time in a single season at Arkansas with his eight touchdowns matches the sixth-most ever by a Razorback in a single year. The St. Petersburg, Florida, native recorded four 100-yard games in 2022, which puts him in a tie for fourth in a single season at Arkansas.

Landers grew his draft stock as much as any Arkansas players when he ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, which was the third fastest of any receiver at the combine.

"I mean I felt like I just went out there, ran fast," Landers said. "You know, I work hard to run fast, so hopefully it helped my stock. I’m hoping it did help my stock."

Landers, who began his career at Georgia, ran routes at the NFL Combine, Arkansas' Pro Day and Georgia's Pro Day, where he caught passes from Stetson Bennett.

"I just ran routes," Landers said. "Georgia only had one receiver come out, unfortunately he couldn’t catch. Talked to Stetson (Bennett IV) at the combine, and he needed a receiver, so those are my people, so I just decided to go just run routes for him, you know? Help him out."

While Landers was helping Bennett out, he had to have helped himself out as well, as it is no secret that plenty of eyes were on the talent at the Bulldogs' Pro Day.

"Any time I can jump in front of scouts and show what I can do, I’m going to do it," Landers said.

According to Kent Lee Platte of the Pro Football Network, Landers has a Relative Athletic Score of 9.85 out of a possible 10, which ranks 48th out of 3,020 receivers from 1987-2023. His composite speed grade was labeled as "elite" and he also earned a "great" in the composite explosion grade.

The top RAS comparison for Landers was former North Dakota State receiver and Green Bay Packers standout Christian Watson. He also earned a comparison to former LSU receiver and current Carolina Panthers wideout D.J. Chark.

Landers' athleticism score of 87 ranked second among NFL Combine wide receivers, according to NFL.com. His total score of 74 made him the No. 17 combine wideout.

Now, the downside for Landers is that he will be 24 years old before he ever steps on an NFL field. After spending six years in college, he's set himself back from some of the younger receiver prospects, but his athleticism might be enough to earn him a shot.

The common knock on Landers seems to be his ability to get in and out of breaks, make contested catches and track the football. Scouts seem to think Landers lacks physicality and the ability/willingness to run block.

Since his Pro Day, Landers has met with the Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos and more teams, he told Justin Melo of the NFL Draft Network.

He is commonly looking at being a late round pick or going as an undrafted free agent. HawgBeat used six different draft player rankings to get a consensus ranking of Landers being the No. 34 receiver in the draft. For reference, 28 receivers were drafted in 2022, 34 went in 2021 and 37 were selected in 2020.

Here's a full look at Landers' measurables, combine/pro day results, draft rankings, a few mock drafts and what scouts have said about Landers:

Measurables, combine/pro day results​

Height: 6-4.5

Weight: 202

Bench Press (225 lbs): N/A

Broad Jump: 10-10*

Vertical Jump: 37.0*

40-yard Dash: 4.37*

20-yard Shuttle: 4.34

L Drill: 6.72

*NFL Combine

Draft Rankings​

ESPN (Todd McShay): No. 49 WR

NFL Mock Draft Database: No. 248 overall, No. 33 WR

NFL Draft Network: No. 293 overall, No. 41 WR

Pro Football Network: No. 179 overall, No. 24 WR

Pro Football Focus: No. 245 overall, No. 30 WR

Draftteck: No. 306 overall, No. 28 WR

Mock Drafts​

NFL.com: 6th round, No. 183 overall to Detroit Lions

Pro Football Focus: 7th round, No. 220 overall to Las Vegas Raiders

Pro Football Network: 7th round, No. 245 overall to New York Giants (comp pick)

What scouts are saying​

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein

"He’s still unrefined as a receiver, but his size, athleticism and potential as a ball-winner are noteworthy," Zierlein said. "He has legitimate build-up speed deep and his long strides help him separate. He’s a developmental prospect with upside and should hear his name called on Day 3 of the draft."

Pro Football Network's Jason Katz

"
Tall wideout with soft, reliable hands. Uses his frame to shield away defenders, extends his hands, and makes the reception away from his frame. Shows good route discipline, plays smart football, and consistently finds the open spot in the defense.

"Tracks the pass in the air, displays outstanding timing, and comes away with the contested grab. Adjusts to the errant throw, displays eye/hand coordination, and takes a big hit but holds onto the ball. Makes the difficult over-the-shoulder reception at full speed. Gives effort blocking downfield."

Sports Illustrated's NFL Draft Bible

"He is quick off the line of scrimmage, displaying an explosive first step. His release package is underdeveloped but he has the ability to get off the line. For his size, Landers is very quick, with the ability to create separation on short and intermediate routes.

"On deep routes, there is enough speed on Landers' film for him to stack cornerbacks and create separation. His route tree isn't developed but his speed, quickness and good enough change of direction on film shows he has the upside to having an advanced route tree."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News