ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ole Miss drop the Confederate flag

IMHO, the problem is the almost deification of guns by some Americans. "Gun worship" leads to irresponsibility. The mother in CT had a freakin' arsenal. She should not have allowed her disturbed son (or anyone else) access.
And, by all reports, the kid in SC was a proclaimed Nazi. What kind of parent gives a kid like that a gun?
Someone earlier mentioned civil liability for these people. I would say maybe criminal, too.

I mentioned the misiterpretaion of the Second Amendment in an earlier post. No responses.

"If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have gins." Right. All those accidents and drunk fights and going postal when you find your wife in bed with another man would not happen.

Again, I would be happy to outlaw all guns, but I know that's not going to happen.
Titan is right that there's probably no way to deal with all the guns that are out there. But we have to start somehere.
The NRA and the gun worshipers need to quit being so paranoid and work with instead of against.

I think a clearance from a qualified psychologist should be required for anyone to purchase a handgun. (I know. Impractical because who pays for it. I will have to think on this and get back to you.)
Nobody with more than two DUI's should be allowed to own a handgun. (Does this come up as a flag on a background check. I don't know what qualifies someone for denial, but it isn't enough.)

More later.
On the 2nd Amendment...much of what our founding fathers intent was was an effort to ensure that the government doesn't take away arms that a person / community / state could use to protect themselves from a government that becomes corrupt. They had seen the British try to take away their weapons in the colonies...and saw firsthand what happens when a group is disarmed and a corrupt government is in charge. Many times in history, it's led to mass wholesale murders of people by that government...and still happens to this day in parts of the world.

I don't want to believe that it could happen in America...but we already know corruption exists within our government and always will. It's just a matter of whether or not it ever goes as far as King George...Hitler...Stalin...Castro...Pol Pot...and a host of others.

Now...of course, we live in a day and age where the weapons that governments have can destroy the entire world...but I'd still like to have a shotgun / rifle / pistol if anarchy ever broke out...more to just protect myself and try to survive. And I promise...you probably won't be able to buy a gun the day something like that goes down. (btw...I don't own a gun...but I may in the future)

That's not to say there shouldn't be some regulations...but it really needs to be common sense regulations and not punitive, considering the intent of our founding fathers.

Reactions: Lolly Hog
IMHO, the problem is the almost deification of guns by some Americans. "Gun worship" leads to irresponsibility. The mother in CT had a freakin' arsenal. She should not have allowed her disturbed son (or anyone else) access.
And, by all reports, the kid in SC was a proclaimed Nazi. What kind of parent gives a kid like that a gun?
Someone earlier mentioned civil liability for these people. I would say maybe criminal, too.

I mentioned the misiterpretaion of the Second Amendment in an earlier post. No responses.

"If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have gins." Right. All those accidents and drunk fights and going postal when you find your wife in bed with another man would not happen.

Again, I would be happy to outlaw all guns, but I know that's not going to happen.
Titan is right that there's probably no way to deal with all the guns that are out there. But we have to start somehere.
The NRA and the gun worshipers need to quit being so paranoid and work with instead of against.

I think a clearance from a qualified psychologist should be required for anyone to purchase a handgun. (I know. Impractical because who pays for it. I will have to think on this and get back to you.)
Nobody with more than two DUI's should be allowed to own a handgun. (Does this come up as a flag on a background check. I don't know what qualifies someone for denial, but it isn't enough.)

More later.

Loony Tunes

Reactions: Lolly Hog
We're talking about two different things. Almost 50% of Swiss own guns...and only 32% of Americans own guns. Now, if you want to say that our 32% own a bunch of guns...fine. But I'm making a point that that half of Switzerland own guns and they don't have a gun violence issue. The question is why?

Now...if you want to make the statement that out of our 200-300 million guns...that many of them have been stolen or sold second-hand to criminals...fine. I would agree with that. But why is it different in Switzerland? They must being doing something right...though 50% own guns...and only 32% here (though I would imagine a much greater % here have guns...either through the black market or stolen guns).
Well, for one thing, Switzerland is a neutral country. They do not go to,war. So maybe they are raised with a different attitude about guns. I don't really know, but maybe this has something to do with it.

Reactions: titanhawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT