ADVERTISEMENT

You GOT to Read this

I enjoyed the clandestine journey and the dynamics of the exchanges between he and the cartel members. Well written from a visualization standpoint which is understandable coming from an actor. The small normal actions typically left out of stories make it a more human experience.

His premise is garbage though. El Chapo profits off the destroyed lives of millions. Penn will protest any government agency that does the same but quickly defends any radical view point that is anti governmental. Profiting off of death and destruction is just that no matter who is behind it government or radical. The drug industry deals in death and destruction not because of its illegal nature but because within the core pillars of the drug industry are death and distruction itself. The product they sell destroy lives through addiction and in many cases lead to death. If that is what you sell then it is natural to inflict it yourself in the progression of your own desires.

I enjoyed the clandestine journey and the dynamics of the exchanges between he and the cartel members. Well written from a visualization standpoint which is understandable coming from an actor. The small normal actions typically left out of stories make it a more human experience.
Well said here. I felt like I was next to him as he went through his story.

Well now that he's spilled all these details, better grow eyes in the back of your head Spicoli

spicoli385.jpg

"Ah captured El Chapo, dude" !

He calls all Americans complicit due to being drug users. Not all Americans use drugs but he has no compunction accusing everyone of it. He puts all these blurbs in his writing to say he understands the atrocities this guy has committed but he whitewashes it in soft words and pushes the line the murdering drug lord only uses violence when necessary to defend himself. Yet Penn doesn't believe ordinary citizens should be allowed to defend themselves. The guy is so full of thinking he is so more morally correct than anyone and his writing bears it out in his writing. The whole article screams 'look at me and my virtuous anti-government exposure work'. Just what I figured it would be. Sorry I wasted the time to prove it.

His premise is garbage though. El Chapo profits off the destroyed lives of millions. Penn will protest any government agency that does the same but quickly defends any radical view point that is anti governmental. Profiting off of death and destruction is just that no matter who is behind it government or radical. The drug industry deals in death and destruction not because of its illegal nature but because within the core pillars of the drug industry are death and distruction itself. The product they sell destroy lives through addiction and in many cases lead to death. If that is what you sell then it is natural to inflict it yourself in the progression of your own desires.

If you don't believe how big a problem this is ask a HR representative from a company in charge of hiring employees. It is ridiculous how many applications a company has to go through before finding employees that pass a drug test.

Well, this isn't going as planned. o_O

I dont stick my head into the political/PR world as goes to show ITT.

Didn't care much for Penn trying to make him seem human. This guy is the leader of the largest drug cartel in Mexico. That means that out of all the thug dealers, pimps, thieves, rapist, kidnappers, murderers and defiling PsOS that work for him, he is the worst. His references to "family" and "God" don't work for me.

Sean Penn is anything but a journalist. Why didn't he ask about all the journalists that Chapo has had killed for writing something he didn't like.

Maybe in the negotiations to extradite El Chapo, we can give the Mexican authoritites Sean Penn.

If you don't believe how big a problem this is ask a HR representative from a company in charge of hiring employees. It is ridiculous how many applications a company has to go through before finding employees that pass a drug test.
Drug abuse and misuse is an incredible problem. I don't know how you gleaned that from my comments. My point is that drug cartel kingpins are not Robin Hood. They are murderous thugs even if they never pulled a single trigger themselves their product can and will kill millions. Heroin, meth, opiates, etc these are kilkers. And at the very least will completely destroy everything someone has worked to do. Now, it's their chioce. No doubt about that. This isn't all on the Cartels. Don't do meth if you want to stay sane and alive. That choice falls on the shoulders of the user.

I agree it's a major problem but I disagree that we should reward every adicts poor decisions with a get out of jail free card and a ticket back to society where odds are they will continue to make poor decisions. I will love you and I will help you but I will not allow you to hurt yourself or other people.

Love doesn't always manifest itself in the form of a hug. Forgiveness doesn't mean something s forgotten. If something is forgotten then there is no need for forgiveness. I love my children and I teach them hard lessons because life is hard and they must over time be prepared to face that reality. Hard drugs are a scourge to our world.

Drug abuse and misuse is an incredible problem. I don't know how you gleaned that from my comments. My point is that drug cartel kingpins are not Robin Hood. They are murderous thugs even if they never pulled a single trigger themselves their product can and will kill millions. Heroin, meth, opiates, etc these are kilkers. And at the very least will completely destroy everything someone has worked to do. Now, it's their chioce. No doubt about that. This isn't all on the Cartels. Don't do meth if you want to stay sane and alive. That choice falls on the shoulders of the user.

I agree it's a major problem but I disagree that we should reward every adicts poor decisions with a get out of jail free card and a ticket back to society where odds are they will continue to make poor decisions. I will love you and I will help you but I will not allow you to hurt yourself or other people.

Love doesn't always manifest itself in the form of a hug. Forgiveness doesn't mean something s forgotten. If something is forgotten then there is no need for forgiveness. I love my children and I teach them hard lessons because life is hard and they must over time be prepared to face that reality. Hard drugs are a scourge to our world.

Sorry I didn't mean you, but people that want to glorify a drug kingpin. There are so many people effected by this epidemic and for someone to think a drug cartel leader is someone to look up to has a problem. I personally have seen drugs destroy families and individuals life's. It is not only poor people it hits but all people.

Reactions: BOSSHOGFREE
I agree with most previous posts about how terrible the effects of illicit drugs are on individuals and society as a whole. I also think most of those drugs should be legal. The war on drugs was a joke and if you haven't looked at the damage the abuse of legal drugs cause then you should. We are not going to attempt to rid the world of those though.

I'm not a libertarian. This is not about personal freedom. I'm not suggesting problems with drugs go away with legalization.

It just seems like the only reason we keep most drugs illegal is because we don't like the harm they cause. And it makes sense, at first blush to push the things we don't like away and say, lets make them illegal.

Well, after a lot of time it now seems to me we would be better situated to deal these terrible consequences and mitigate them more effectively if we were to be in better control their distribution and not only profited from the sale but save untold millions on incarceration and cut brutal sociopaths out of the money.

It's kind of like keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

It's not possible politically but I think it would be an improvement on the current terrible situation that has no prospect of getting better outside of continuous efforts to educate. Too bad those funds come and go based on political climate.

It is possible to have things that are legal that you think are bad. Being legal is not an endorsement.

By the way think how much education and awareness you could have to reinforce that message if the money that went to drug lords and locking people up went towards a cause that makes a difference. Forget about all the millions in tax dollars, that would just get wasted like the rest of it ; )

Bash away...

Reactions: seahawg
I agree that not all Americans use drugs, but make no mistake Americans created this criminal and thousands like him with our insatiable appetite for drugs and declaring "war" on anything and everything we don't like. This guy should absolutely be behind bars and I, too, have a problem with at the very least the timing of Penn's interview. Interview him in prison, but not on the loose. That puts more light on you and glorifies the fact he's on the loose. All that said, I think we can perhaps learn something policy wise studying these people.

I appreciate that article very much. I really do.

I will draw distinctions between those examples and the US. Britton began its approach in the early 1960's and abbondaned it about the time current prevailing thoughts on addiction and treatment were coming to light.

Decriminalization is very different than legalization. It's worse in my opinion. It's like being trapped in limbo. You don't get the revenue and you don't cut out the dealers. You have missed out on 1/2 the benefits and it just becomes a sore spot nobody really wants to address.

In addition no other country comes close to spending what we do on our legal process or has prison sentences as long as ours. By not arresting, prosecuting and locking people up we stand to have substantially more resources to put towards education and awareness.

As a final thought the US has done a hell of a good job of attacking important problems and solving them historically. We are simply out of steam and resources to make any further real progress on this issue without a significant change.

It has become clear through this post I may need to join a different forum. Sorry so long winded.

He calls all Americans complicit due to being drug users. Not all Americans use drugs but he has no compunction accusing everyone of it. He puts all these blurbs in his writing to say he understands the atrocities this guy has committed but he whitewashes it in soft words and pushes the line the murdering drug lord only uses violence when necessary to defend himself. Yet Penn doesn't believe ordinary citizens should be allowed to defend themselves. The guy is so full of thinking he is so more morally correct than anyone and his writing bears it out in his writing. The whole article screams 'look at me and my virtuous anti-government exposure work'. Just what I figured it would be. Sorry I wasted the time to prove it.
Sean Penn is a Hollywood clown. Plain and simple. Trey Parker and Matt stone nailed him with their portrayal of him in Team America.

I agree with most previous posts about how terrible the effects of illicit drugs are on individuals and society as a whole. I also think most of those drugs should be legal. The war on drugs was a joke and if you haven't looked at the damage the abuse of legal drugs cause then you should. We are not going to attempt to rid the world of those though.

I'm not a libertarian. This is not about personal freedom. I'm not suggesting problems with drugs go away with legalization.

It just seems like the only reason we keep most drugs illegal is because we don't like the harm they cause. And it makes sense, at first blush to push the things we don't like away and say, lets make them illegal.

Well, after a lot of time it now seems to me we would be better situated to deal these terrible consequences and mitigate them more effectively if we were to be in better control their distribution and not only profited from the sale but save untold millions on incarceration and cut brutal sociopaths out of the money.

It's kind of like keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

It's not possible politically but I think it would be an improvement on the current terrible situation that has no prospect of getting better outside of continuous efforts to educate. Too bad those funds come and go based on political climate.

It is possible to have things that are legal that you think are bad. Being legal is not an endorsement.

By the way think how much education and awareness you could have to reinforce that message if the money that went to drug lords and locking people up went towards a cause that makes a difference. Forget about all the millions in tax dollars, that would just get wasted like the rest of it ; )

Bash away...
You think casual use of hard drugs like opium, meth, heroin, crack, opiates, etc should be legalized?

I appreciate that article very much. I really do.

I will draw distinctions between those examples and the US. Britton began its approach in the early 1960's and abbondaned it about the time current prevailing thoughts on addiction and treatment were coming to light.

Decriminalization is very different than legalization. It's worse in my opinion. It's like being trapped in limbo. You don't get the revenue and you don't cut out the dealers. You have missed out on 1/2 the benefits and it just becomes a sore spot nobody really wants to address.

In addition no other country comes close to spending what we do on our legal process or has prison sentences as long as ours. By not arresting, prosecuting and locking people up we stand to have substantially more resources to put towards education and awareness.

As a final thought the US has done a hell of a good job of attacking important problems and solving them historically. We are simply out of steam and resources to make any further real progress on this issue without a significant change.

It has become clear through this post I may need to join a different forum. Sorry so long winded.
There clearly needs to be a change in direction on how we approach the problem of addiction. I'm not sure opening pandora's box is the answer. We are a nation of addicts,pick your poison. Food,alcohol, nicotine, drugs. We have 12 step programs for most everything. Again I don't have the answer but opening up the floodgates does not seem wise to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT