ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

I know it is “in” to blame the media for everything but the literal words out of the CDC should be enough to get people’s attention. No need to freak out but people should be smart on their preparations and definitely not brush this off. Could it putter out here in the US? Absolutely. But that will not make the current narrative an overreaction. This thing has potential to be bad.

What concerns me is that the Chinese are not known for their accurate reporting. Situation could be worse there. Imagine if we quarantined Chicago and all the suburbs? That would be world wide news story right? That is around the equivalent of what happened in Wuhan. That’s a big freaking deal.
I think the reason they quarantined Wuhan is because CV is highly contagious . You have true numbers coming out of Singapore, Italy, and S Korea now so we know what it can do. They say are a ton of people have it and barely have symptoms. There were over a 1,000 American deaths from Swine flu before an emergency was declared in US. I don't even remember 22 million Americans getting Swine flu 10 years ago so the media is doing a little more hyping this time.

I just don’t interact with people not in my immediate family. Not ideal for some but it beats the hell out of having to constantly wash your hands. Wet hands are the worst...

I just don’t interact with people not in my immediate family. Not ideal for some but it beats the hell out of having to constantly wash your hands. Wet hands are the worst...

How do you know who your immediate family is interacting with?

Coronavirus was in 2 or 3 states last week. It's in 15 this morning. It will be national in a week or two.

Also - there were 15 cases last week. 105 this morning with 6 fatalities. That's a 5.7% mortality rate and a spread/exposure rate of 14x in a week.

For the record, the flue has a mortality rate of 0.05%-0.1%, but that's with a national vaccination agenda. There is no vaccine or proven method of containment. They aren't even sure how it's transmitted.

Educate yourself, or you will end up regretting your apathy.

Well you go ahead and freek out if you want. I have read and seen as much as the next guy. The people that have died in US had compromised immune systems. Not going to argue about how others should feel but i know i am not overly concerned. Flu is alot more likely to get me than corona. My opinion anyway. Let me know when a healthy 50 year old is taken out by it.

Well you go ahead and freek out if you want. I have read and seen as much as the next guy. The people that have died in US had compromised immune systems. Not going to argue about how others should feel but i know i am not overly concerned. Flu is alot more likely to get me than corona. My opinion anyway. Let me know when a healthy 50 year old is taken out by it.

Not freaking out. Just sharing facts. It's up to you on what you do with them. Good luck.

Reactions: NMHOGG
There is no real proof that washing your hands and even Lysol kills all the Coronavirus. It has been said that its "complicated" when asked if Lysol or common hand washing practice actually kills the virus.

Not saying to stop washing your hands, but as much as people touch their face on a daily basis (mouth, eyes, nose)

If you go to the mall and stroke your face/beard or eat.....you got it son.

There is no real proof that washing your hands and even Lysol kills all the Coronavirus. It has been said that its "complicated" when asked if Lysol or common hand washing practice actually kills the virus.

Not saying to stop washing your hands, but as much as people touch their face on a daily basis (mouth, eyes, nose)

I'm so confused by this take. Are you saying that washing your hands isn't an effective infection mitigation strategy? That is 100% proven empirical fact. That is literally the most effective thing that you can do to prevent ANY infection. If you're saying that just washing your hands doesn't prevent you from transferring microbes from contact fomites during facial contact, yes, you also have to avoid touching your face. Fellow health care workers know this can be one of the most difficult things in the world to get used to, but you have to make a conscious effort to avoid doing so until you break the habit. That doesn't make hand hygiene an ineffective practice though.

I'm so confused by this take. Are you saying that washing your hands isn't an effective infection mitigation strategy? That is 100% proven empirical fact. That is literally the most effective thing that you can do to prevent ANY infection. If you're saying that just washing your hands doesn't prevent you from transferring microbes from contact fomites during facial contact, yes, you also have to avoid touching your face. Fellow health care workers know this can be one of the most difficult things in the world to get used to, but you have to make a conscious effort to avoid doing so until you break the habit. That doesn't make hand hygiene an ineffective practice though.

I think I may be able to help with the Pan/Pam dilemma. What he’s trying to say is that having to act like you’re washing your hands and/or actually having to wash and then dry your hands just because somebody else is in the bathroom and will judge you if you don’t, is bullsh!t.

One problem with the reported death rate with COVID-19 is that most sources are citing a case fatality rate, which is a pretty ineffective measure with an outbreak in real time as it relies more heavily on historical data. I saw some recent figures that broke down the reported deaths against known outcomes (which is the number of confirmed resolved cases + patient deaths). It's possible that the "death rate" for COVID-19 in places like Hubei Province, South Korea, and Italy could be as high as 1 in 12 cases. For reference, a comparable figure for seasonal influenza is about 1 in 750 cases. Either way, it's pretty foolish to be comparing COVID-19 with seasonal flu at this stage. Nobody really knows how hazardous the pathogen will truly be. The good news is that it will likely flame out like the SARS coronavirus did based on the early reports that the number of patients with full resolution of symptoms is growing more rapidly than newly infected patients.

Reactions: RHS_Cyclone
I think I may be able to help with the Pan/Pam dilemma. What he’s trying to say is that having to act like you’re washing your hands and/or actually having to wash and then dry your hands just because somebody else is in the bathroom and will judge you if you don’t, is bullsh!t.
Hello, miss lady.

Reactions: SouthTulsaHog
All 6 Washington state deaths are the in the 2 counties where my mom works and lives.

Think 5 of the 6 were 70+ years old and the other had underlying health issues.

Washing your hands may not kill it, but it washes it off your hands. I'm a freak about the stomach bug. I'll drink after someone who has the flu, but I won't be in the same room as someone who had the stomach bug 3 days ago. Norovirus (stomach bug) seems almost un-killable other than bleach and maybe Lysol III, but the way you avoid getting it or spreading it is to wash it off your hands. You're not trying to kill it.

China has a lot of issues but the fact that they could quarantine an entire city and build a hospital in 10 days in mind blowing.

Imagine something similar happening in America. If those were the steps necessary to prevent outbreak and help the general public, there is no way in hell that could be done here.

China has a lot of issues but the fact that they could quarantine an entire city and build a hospital in 10 days in mind blowing.

Imagine something similar happening in America. If those were the steps necessary to prevent outbreak and help the general public, there is no way in hell that could be done here.
If you ever want to scare the shit out of yourself, attend a community emergency preparedness meeting. I've attended many tabletop exercises related to communicable diseases, and the sheer lack of coordination between different services is terrifying.

Well that will help me sleep soundly tonight. Thanks Turbo
I mean, that's what the tabletops are for, to identify and resolve or mitigate those gaps. But still. I remember leaving one, calling my wife, and telling her I was seriously considering stocking up on dehydrated meals and potable water like a doomsday prepper.

Wife’s dental office had to call a patient today and tell them to reschedule because they had just gotten back from Italy.

Coronavirus was in 2 or 3 states last week. It's in 15 this morning. It will be national in a week or two.

Also - there were 15 cases last week. 105 this morning with 6 fatalities. That's a 5.7% mortality rate and a spread/exposure rate of 14x in a week.

For the record, the flue has a mortality rate of 0.05%-0.1%, but that's with a national vaccination agenda. There is no vaccine or proven method of containment. They aren't even sure how it's transmitted.

Educate yourself, or you will end up regretting your apathy.

Sure. Thousands of undocumented cases so don’t even try to suggest a mortality rate.

lol.

Reactions: anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a
I’m all in on the samurai sword method

Sounds like a rookie mistake. You better start super setting those bi’s and tri’s! I prefer the easy zombie killing method.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Mhhoover92
Sure. Thousands of undocumented cases so don’t even try to suggest a mortality rate.

lol.

Stats are only as good as the available data. Of the confirmed cases and deaths - and in that moment - that's the rate. Of course the data is incomplete.

Not freaking out. Just sharing facts. It's up to you on what you do with them. Good luck.
You said above that a “LOT” of people are going to die. That word is subjective, relative, therefore making your sentence an opinion— NOT a fact. Your definition of a LOT might be 6, but a LOT to me might be 19,000,000. A buddy is top infectious disease expert in State of Mississippi— was interviewed on national tv Monday night. Did not say this on tv, but told me their models show a max of 200-350k cases in US with a 1%(not the GLOBAL rate but strictly in US)mortality rate. 2,000-3,500 deaths in US. CDC estimates 56,000 in the US died of flu last year. Not making light of the loss of that many— they are real people with real families. Just trying to put things in perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT