ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2 Razorbacks earn SEC weekly honors

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

Following Arkansas' (5-3, 3-2 SEC) 58-25 win over the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Saturday at Davis Wade Stadium, two Razorbacks earned weekly honors from the Southeastern Conference on Monday.

Arkansas redshirt junior quarterback and freshman running back Braylen Russell earned recognition from the SEC office for their performances.

Green was named the SEC Co-Offensive Player of the Week after leading the Razorbacks to a blowout victory over the Bulldogs. He completed 23-of-29 throws (79.3%) for 314 yards and a career-high five touchdowns, plus Green added 79 yards and a score on the ground.

With his five passing touchdowns, Green became the first Arkansas quarterback since Ryan Mallett in 2010 to both throw for five touchdowns and rush for one in a single game. Green is one of only two Power Four quarterbacks this season to accomplish the feat, and he is the first Hog to earn the Offensive Player of the Week honor since Raheim Sanders in 2022.

"That’s the guy that I’ve seen since he got here," head coach Sam Pittman said Saturday. "If we can play better around him, the guy’s incredible, I think. Like I said before, I wouldn’t trade him for anybody."

Russell was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week after carrying a depleted running back room versus the Bulldogs. With starting running back and backup Ja'Quinden Jackson and Rodney Hill out, respectively, Russell rushed for a career-high 175 yards on 16 carries. His 175 yards is the most nationally by a freshman this season and it made Russell only the third Arkansas freshman since 1998 to reach 150+ yards in a game (Alex Collins, Darren McFadden).

"This week in practice was Taylen being in my ear, O-linemen being in my ear," Russell said Saturday. "‘This is your week.’ Going out there, it was a big week for me. Just trying in my teammates and Taylen in my ear the whole time. It’s good to have older guys in your ear going forward."

Green and Russell join left tackle Fernando Carmona Jr., backup quarterback Malachi Singleton and defensive back TJ Metcalf as Razorbacks to earn SEC Weekly honors this season.

Arkansas and Ole Miss are slated for an 11 a.m. CT kickoff on ESPN this Saturday at Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.