ADVERTISEMENT

2017 hinges squarely on defense

ejsHawg

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2004
Now that NSD has passed, DL coach is hired and you see full commitment not only to the 3-4 alignment but from reading about the new DL coaches philosophy a much more aggressive attacking style, I firmly believe that 2017 results will hinge squarely on an improved defense. If we become truly aggressive, more blitzes, more pressure - all in all disruptive, then I like the possibilities for next season.

Offensively, with a Sr QB, 4 OL back, all running production back and influx of WR talent, I believe the offense will be effective and I imagine you will see better run production because of maturing OL. I'm really not worried about WR production as I do like the talent and especially speed in the younger guys like Stewart, Jones, Boateng and newcomers like Martin.

4 Non-conference:
You have Florida A&M, TCU, New Mexico State and Coastal Carolina. Other than TCU, who you get at home, these are true cupcakes. TCU will be tough but I like our chances of the win in Fayetteville. My prediction is 4-0.

8 Conference:
I like the home slate of Auburn, Miss State and Missouri. We will have extra motivation for Auburn and Mizzu. A more aggressive defensive approach could well give all 3 more trouble than our passive play in the past. My prediction is 3-0 across these games.

Bama and LSU are out in my opinion. We just lack the horses to compete across the board. My prediction is 0-2.

A&M, Ole Miss and South Carolina become the swings games. A&M is losing a lot and you've got to feel like we may be due for a game to go our way against these guys. I imagine CBB and staff have a little extra juice to find a win and get started 1-0 in league play. I'm going to predict a first win for CBB against the Ags.

Ole Miss may have some serious gaps and problems this season. Losing a lot of production, cloud of scandal, loss of momentum in recruiting. Factors are there for this to be a rough year for the Black Bears. Arkansas has had these guys number for 3 years and I think it could continue. My prediction is a win against OM.

South Carolina will make large jumps this season. Muschamp can recruit and I believe can coach. This game lies after a non-conference game and before Bama. I think we run into what could be the surprise team in the east this season and drop this game.

Conference record 5-3.

Overall 9-3. I can see that provided that the defense significantly improves. If not, then I believe we are looking at 6/7 wins total and 3 conference wins (which is our average).

Hoping for better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News