ADVERTISEMENT

Football A few thoughts from my golf outing

NWAHutch

Hall of Fame
Staff
Apr 30, 2018
While I'm waiting for the last couple of videos to upload and before I start writing stories, I thought I'd share a few non-newsy thoughts from the golf tournament...

-Trent posted this in another thread, but there was definitely a lot of celebrating amongst the coaches about the time Burks announced his commitment. As excited as the fans were, I'm sure the coaches were even more excited.

-As for my golf game (because I know y'all are anxiously waiting to hear how I played), I actually hit a few decent shots...and a few not so great shots. We actually used my ball on the first shot of our first hole. I was stunned. I even hit the green on one of the par 3s! I have no idea what our score ended up being, but we did decent. The other two media guys were pretty good, which saved me and Caldwell. We only got 16 holes in before the weather hit.

-I was paired with Steve Caldwell and it's easy to see why he's such a good recruiter. He did a great job connecting with me and the other two media members in our group, getting to know us and what we do. Also, on one hole, there was a girl shooting video of everyone teeing off for a TV station. After hitting his ball in the water, Caldwell joked with the girl saying it was her fault and then asked if she wanted to hit a ball. He was very encouraging and let her use his club and a ball. She topped it and it went about five feet, lol. But it was great.

-We talked about social media with Caldwell and he said, "I'm not a tweeter. I'm a retweeter." Lol. He's not big on the social media, but understands that it is super important in recruiting. He also said that you hardly ever text kids any more and that it's all through DMing. He recently joined Instagram, but I regret to inform you that he doesn't have snapchat, "or whatever it's called." Haha.

-Talking about coaching salaries at one point, Caldwell mentioned that his first job was for $6,000/year. I mentioned that my grandfather still gives me grief for not being an engineer or something else that would use my math talents and pays more money and he said that his father used to always ask him, "When are you going to get a real job?" Haha. But I'd say it worked out okay for him.

There might be more as I remember it, but wanted to share those tidbits while waiting on video.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News