ADVERTISEMENT

AC makes the wrong list on NFL.com's winners-losers from day 1 of the combine ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
This is tough, and I think we all knew AC was going to struggle with his 40 time, but he did poorly in just about every measurable/drill compared to the RB field. The 4.59 in the 40 was not terrible relative to what we as Hog fans were expecting, but relative to the other RBs he's competing with for draft status, it was not good. His vertical and other measurables that gauge explosiveness were below par. His receiving drill work was not good at all, and it lines up with what I've been saying for awhile -- he's going to be like a Chris Ivory and others who are 1st and 2nd down backs, but come off the field on 3rd down. Ball security (fumbling) is another troubling area. Pass-pro improved, but inconsistent (he is not alone, most young backs have the same issues, but this is not an area that helps him stand out, IMO).

But he does have a body of work that stands out when compared to most of the RBs = 3 1,000-yard seasons against the best collection of next-level defensive talent (SEC) week-in, week-out. He has elite lateral cutting, balance, and vision, and IMO he's better than any RB in this field in those areas. He's not a heavy runner -- quick choppy steps -- but he's not easy to bring down, either. He's durable, reliable -- a guy who can give you 18-25 carries every week.

Overall, there's just not enough in his game for me to see every-down feature back at the next level. I think he's going to be part of a committee, a guy who does not stay on the field on 3rd downs. This is all going to come down to fit and need when he is drafted, but I don't see 2nd round as a possibility anymore. I believe 3rd is realistic and 4th round is also a possibility now. I'll be shocked if he slips all the way to the 5th round.

AC turned out to be a great college back -- not elite -- and it's way too early to say he won't be a good pro. However, he's not versatile or explosive -- the combine drills exposed that -- so I am not going to get my hopes up that he will be an all pro, either. I just hope he lands with the right team that will get the most out of him, and that he stays healthy and figures out how to use his skills to stay on the field as much as possible.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-and-losers-jason-spriggs-jack-conklin-excel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News