ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Arkansas, Calipari in heavy pursuit of Top-15 2026 prospect

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR
From @jacksoncollier

Arkansas head coach John Calipari has made an impressive early impression with his recruiting prowess since his official hiring on April 10, and the hall-of-famer already has his eyes set on a top-15 prospect from the class of 2026.

Sam Funches, a 6-foot-11, 180-pound center from Mississippi, is the No. 13 overall player in his class according to Rivals. The four-star has collected offers from programs across the country like Alabama, Auburn, Creighton, Florida State, Houston, Kansas State, Michigan and others.

He was initially offered by former Razorback head coach Eric Musselman, but the new staff has made their intention to recruit Funches clear.

"(The conversation with the staff) was good," Funches said. "They told me they were going to recruit me hard."

As a sophomore, the big man averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks per game, which made it difficult for any coaching staff not to have interest in the coveted prospect.

Funches indicated that Arkansas' hiring of Calipari was great for the Hogs, and even talked about the big men that the esteemed coach has produced in the past.

"I think it's big for Arkansas to have a coach like Calipari," Funches said. "Plus I like that he has a history of putting guys at my position in the league like Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns."

When asked if he felt his style of play was similar to Davis and Towns, Funches indicated that it was in some regards.

"We all play mid post and can step out to the three point line, can play pick and roll and dribble hand off," Funches said. "I think my style (Calipari's) system."

For updates on the current offseason and future Razorback recruiting classes, be sure to follow along at The Trough premium message board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News