ADVERTISEMENT

Football Arkansas Practice Notebook: Takeaways from Monday's practice

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

Arkansas had its first practice of Cincinnati week on Monday in shells and shorts.

There was a new starting corner with the team during fastball that was not listed as a starter on the depth chart earlier today. Also, two starters were back on the field after missing time last week.

The media was let in to view the action for about 20 minutes. The team started with individual drills, ran through fastball and ended with more individual drills.

Here is who was on the field during fastball, a few takeaways and tidbits from what I was able to see:

Monday's practice takeaways (8/29):​

~ In the middle of practice, we saw the first and second squads running through fastball. Here is a very rough depth chart from what I was able to see:
*Based on who was on the field during fastball drills.*

First Team:​

OFFENSE
QB: KJ Jefferson
RB: Rocket Sanders
WR: Warren Thompson, Matt Landers, Ketron Jackson Jr.
TE: Trey Knox
LT: Luke Jones
LG: Beaux Limmer
C: Ricky Stromberg
RG: Ty'Kieast Crawford
RT: Dalton Wagner
DEFENSE
DE: Eric Gregory
DT: Isaiah Nichols
DE: Zach Williams
LB: Drew Sanders
LB: Bumper Pool
LB Chris Paul Jr.
CB: Hudson Clark
CB: Dwight McGlothern
S: Jalen Catalon
S: Simeon Blair
Nickel: Myles Slusher

CONTINUE READING HERE

First Team:
DEFENSE
CB: Dwight McGlothern
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Satenga looking like he will only be used in special teams which to me is ridiculous with his speed, no way you can't tell me you can't put him out in the slot and have him run across the middle or run a deep post and have somebody try to cover him,don't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to run that route

Satenga looking like he will only be used in special teams which to me is ridiculous with his speed, no way you can't tell me you can't put him out in the slot and have him run across the middle or run a deep post and have somebody try to cover him,don't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to run that route
if speed were the only thing that mattered then you would have a point.

He’s a freshman and it’s Game 1…

Reactions: UCABear_8
I have been saying all fall camp that we should put either Hornsby or Satenga in the slot and have them go straight up field every play...if the safety doesn't go with them 6 points

if speed were the only thing that mattered then you would have a point.
He's skilled enough for us to get the ball to him two or three times in the passing game it's just a matter of us game planning for it and then letting him do his thing

No, I’m telling you that the majority of freshman aren’t ready Game 1.
Well I coached for 30 years and I'm telling you he can run a slant route and run a mini post and some other routes right now. KJ just has to get on the same page with him and get a connection. Receiver is an easier position to play as a freshman than some other positions.

Well I coached for 30 years and I'm telling you he can run a slant route and run a mini post and some other routes right now. KJ just has to get on the same page with him and get a connection. Receiver is an easier position to play as a freshman than some other positions.
Whose spot is he taking in the depth chart

Whose spot is he taking in the depth chart
That will be why they probably
Won't put him out there they're afraid of it causing problems. If you're talented enough to catch punts and run with it then you're very talented enough to catch passes and run with them. I totally understand that most teams try to break freshmen in very slowly and we probably will with him.. I just don't want us to waste his whole year on just special teams and not use his talents on offense. Leave it up in the coaches to figure out who spot he will take

Reactions: AtlantaHawg
I love the fact that we apparently have enough depth at WR that we are debating who deserves snaps. Did not see that coming this year and hope that depth turns out to be the reality. Personally, I had hopes that Malik would get plenty of opportunities for lateral passes behind one of our big ass receivers on the edge so that he could jitterbug up the sidelines. Seems like he is made for that infuriating play that I hate so much against us when our corners are lined up 12 yards deep- but opportunities for Malik at WR aren’t showing in the depth chart.

Reactions: Hawg Chief
That will be why they probably
Won't put him out there they're afraid of it causing problems. If you're talented enough to catch punts and run with it then you're very talented enough to catch passes and run with them. I totally understand that most teams try to break freshmen in very slowly and we probably will with him.. I just don't want us to waste his whole year on just special teams and not use his talents on offense. Leave it up in the coaches to figure out who spot he will take
So is he playing over Landers, Haselwood, or Thompson. And why?

So is he playing over Landers, Haselwood, or Thompson. And why?
He's not going to play over any of those guys you give those guys a breather and work him into the game plan and not have him set up there and watch the game and why it's because he can flat out fly and is very elusive with the ball in his hands. Hazelwood is more of a possession receiver Thompson has pretty good speed Landers has great speed as does satenga

He's not going to play over any of those guys you're just going to work him into the game plan and not have him set up there and watch the game
Then I don’t understand where you’re coming from. What makes you think he’s only going to catch punts?

Then I don’t understand where you’re coming from. What makes you think he’s only going to catch punts?
We may very well use him offense . I just hear more talk about the other freshman receivers. The article today said he McAdoo might produce more than the other freshman receivers.

Reactions: Mhhoover92
We may very well use him offense . I just hear more talk about the other freshman receivers. The article today said he McAdoo might produce more than the other freshman receivers.
Just because McAdoo has been flashing this past week doesn't take anything away from Sategna.

Just because McAdoo has been flashing this past week doesn't take anything away from Sategna.
I hope not, just haven't really heard anything about Satenga in a while,like I said I want this freshman year be used for him to really hone his skills to where he can really take off next year

Reactions: Hawg Chief
I hope not, just haven't really heard anything about Satenga in a while,like I said I want this freshman year be used for him to really hone his skills to where he can really take off next year
How good are Satenga's hands? Is he dropping a bunch of passes in practice? How is his blocking? Missing a bunch in practice? How is his route running? Rounding off everything? If you have a guy that can only run slants, the other team is gonna catch on to that real quick and their LB are going to be waiting for him. Then comes the pain.

How good are Satenga's hands? Is he dropping a bunch of passes in practice? How is his blocking? Missing a bunch in practice? How is his route running? Rounding off everything? If you have a guy that can only run slants, the other team is gonna catch on to that real quick and their LB are going to be waiting for him. Then comes the pain.
I just mentioned slant, the sluggo is a great route off of the slant (slant and go) you can line him up in the slot and run crossing routes that are basically impossibleto cover in man coverage(Petrino favorite) there won't be any blocking for him at all with his size obviously, if he is catching punts, he has great hands LOL. You can line up in him in the slot and run a wheel route up the sideline again very hard to cover and extremely easy to teach. Like I said there really is no excuse not to get him in the game with his speed and ability to catch the ball and do something with it when he does. We don't have too many breakaway receivers he and Landers are 2 of them. I just hope we get him to add to the offense this year is my point.

I just hope we get him to add to the offense this year is my point.
Ok well you have to admit that's a lot different tone than you started out with when you said the fact that he was only on special teams to start the season was "ridiculous".

Reactions: a0ashle
Ok well you have to admit that's a lot different tone than you started out with when you said the fact that he was only on special teams to start the season was "ridiculous".
I was just basing that on I don't really ever hear anything about him and I do hear other freshman being mentioned. I have heard Sam mention his name earlier enough to know that I do "hope" we will get him involved in the offense some but if we don't then that will really be a a waste of his freshman year as far as his offensive development.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT