ADVERTISEMENT

Behind Enemy Lines: Gaining UAB insight with ALdotcom's Lucas Gray

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

As we will do throughout this football season, HawgBeat went behind enemy lines to gain insight on the UAB Blazers from ALdotcom football writer Lucas Gray.

Led by head coach Trent Dilfer, the Blazers finished the 2023 season with a 4-8 (3-5 AAC) overall record with wins over North Carolina A&T, South Florida, Florida Atlantic and Temple.

Last week, UAB was defeated by Sun Belt foe LA-Monroe, 32-6. Against the Warhawks, quarterback Jacob Zeno completed 22-of-32 passes with an interception, and running back Lee Beebe Jr. carried the ball 14 times for 62 yards.

Calling plays for the Blazers is former Arkansas quarterback Alex Mortensen, who led his offense to the 18-best total offense in the country a season ago (450.0 yards per game).

Here is what Gray had to say about Saturday's matchup, which is set to kick off at 3:15 p.m. CT at Razorbacks Stadium in Fayetteville...

Who are the key offensive/defensive players to know for UAB?​

Gray: "On the offensive side of the ball, keep an eye on quarterback Jacob Zeno. He’s struggled to start the season mostly due to a lack of pass protection but had the best single season for a quarterback in UAB history in 2023 and is due for a big game.

"Wide receivers Amare Thomas and Kam Shanks are both in their second years of college football but have shown enough for me to believe they’ll be two of the more productive players on this offense for a long time. Thomas is a killer in the intermediate receiving game and is coming off the best freshman season for a receiver in UAB history. Shanks on the other hand is a flat-out offensive weapon.

"The 5-8 redshirt freshman reeled in 73 yards receiving in the first game against Alcorn State and another 43 this week. His inside/outside versatility in formations as well as sometimes lining up in the wishbone formation in the backfield across from running backs makes him especially hard to keep an eye on. You’ll see him return punts as well, where he’s also excelled and has already returned one for a touchdown this season.

"In the backfield, we have a 1-2 punch of Lee Beebe Jr. and Isaiah Jacobs who are different in their abilities with Beebe Jr. being more of a shifty back and Jacobs being the power runner. Beebe Jr. has been the more productive thus far, but both are very talented.

"Moving to the defensive side of the ball, the veteran edge duo of Kendall Johnson and Desmond Little can both set the edge and push the pocket. They saw results in Week 1 with both being credited with sacks, but ULM played the checkdown game very well and avoided a single sack despite both providing pressure. Safety Sirad Bryant, a Georgia Tech transfer, has been one of the most impressive players on the entire team so far this season and I expect his role to grow even more."

What kind of offense does UAB run and how will it stack up against an SEC defense?​

Gray: "Mortensen runs an interesting offense. The run game has been the most consistent so far this season, but he’s excelled overall in the passing game since he got here. Zeno has a solid arm in terms of strength, but he utilizes a wide range of short-yardage routes with Thomas and Shanks just to get the ball in his best receivers’ hands. Another way he does that is utilizing end-arounds and reverses with his receivers which, paired with his use of pre-snap motions, has created a lot of confusion with opposing defenses.

"They played at Georgia early last season and played well, putting up 21 points at night in Sanford Stadium. They’re in a rut right now as a unit, but they’re hungry and were one of the best offenses in the country last year."

What did UAB fail to do against ULM, and what will it have to improve on to have a chance against the Hogs?​

Gray: "UAB failed to win at the line of scrimmage last week. (ULM) won in the trenches almost every single play on both sides of the ball and had our linemen gassed by the third quarter. On offense, Zeno rarely had time to watch a play develop and make reads and was forced to throw behind the line to running backs when they did want and eventually to go downfield. The Blazers failed to take care of the ball as well. They turned it over three times total, and if I’m not mistaken, ULM scored points off every single one."

Are there any injuries or notable roster battles to know for UAB?​

Gray: "Starting cornerback Ricky Lee III is an injury to keep an eye on as he continues working his way back and is questionable to return this week. If he’s not able to go, true freshman Kelvin Hill, one of the bright spots of the young season, will continue to fill his spot in the lineup. Regarding any position battles, the team seems to know their guys despite a rough week two. There’s been no changes in the depth chart so far and I wouldn’t expect any this week."

How do you see this game playing out and what's your score prediction?​

Gray: "The Razorbacks’ offense has been extremely productive on both the ground and through the air, I expect they’re going to push a young and inexperienced Blazer defense pretty hard. I expect both the front seven and the secondary to struggle in this game due to the level of competition, but the defense has tried to keep games manageable for this offense so far and they haven’t done their part in taking care of the ball.

"On offense, this team feels due for a good performance. Last year they showed they could thrive in a hostile environment and like I said earlier, these guys are eager to have a bounce-back game, coaches included. If this offensive line can hold up, especially on the edges, I expect them to have a solid performance as a unit. I think they’ll lean on the running backs to open the short-yardage passing game, which is their bread and butter.

"I think the Razorback offense is ultimately the difference in this one. Dilfer’s Blazers have never faced a quarterback like Taylen Green (who I fully expect to see on Sundays one day) and I think that will be apparent."

Score Prediction: 45-17, Arkansas

Reactions: cfcjr50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.